Kenpo Terminolgy

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Agreed

:asian:

When Mr. C says it is so, then I'm inclined to believe it is so.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sir.

--Dave

:asian:

OP
S

sma_book

<first-post; trying to be good poster; forgive me if I goof!!>

For the most part, the names of the techniques make some sense to my perpetual-learning-kenpo self. In Squeezing the Peach, for example, I can identify the 'Squeeze' and the 'Peach'. But there are several that are less obvious to me, like Deceptive Panther, and even Intellectual Departure. After some discussion with a more senior Kenpoist, I get the 'Deceptive' but I still have a mental block on the 'Panther'. (I also got more than I anticipated on the similarities and differences between Intellectual Departure and Deceptive Panther....... my brain hurt for a hew hours after!)

Any additional light that could be shed on that would be very welcome!

:)

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Kirk,

Flapping is: a lever, bent, rotating through space without a fulcrum. That is the pivot points are the hand and shoulder.

-MB

Sorry Mr. Billings, it's a fulcrum and effort without a load until such time as it makes impact with the target.

Have a nice Day :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and I agree with it. I do not see it as the "fulcrum" unless the application "creates" a fulcrum. Specifically, an inward flapping elbow, when the hand is in the opponent's face (a lever with the fulcrum being my hand.) But in the context of extending the arm, striking with the top of the arm, bicep or near the bend in the elbow, I see the fulcrum and it coming under load when it makes impact.

I was thinking more about "anchor" points or where the leverage was applied to the "lever". It was a construct intended to give a point of reference for those who could not visualize it.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
I think Kirk is refering to something differnt. My brain is fuzzy right now (darn Plato) so could you describe what you mean by a "reverse punch?"

The term "reverse punch" derives its name from the relationship of the punching hand to the legs. Primarily an Okinawan/Japanese methodology, the "straight thrusting punch" was the most common in the discipline with the same hand forward as the same leg.
The punch coming from the rear opposite the forward leg was thus termed a "reverse punch."

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Doc
The term "reverse punch" derives its name from the relationship of the punching hand to the legs. Primarily an Okinawan/Japanese methodology, the "straight thrusting punch" was the most common in the discipline with the same hand forward as the same leg.
The punch coming from the rear opposite the forward leg was thus termed a "reverse punch."

I always wondered how that went. Thanks for the info Doc. That was my "something new" learned today. And early in the day too...now I can be on Automatic Pilot the rest of the day. :D

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
I always wondered how that went. Thanks for the info Doc. That was my "something new" learned today. And early in the day too...now I can be on Automatic Pilot the rest of the day. :D
That's cool, just keep the chute open as you float.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nice to see what this stuff means in EPAK.

Strictly speaking, keMpo is preferred for accurate romanization because the keNpo romanization, when applied to different characters, is associated with the Japanese government. However, both ways are used without too much fuss by Japanese and Okinawan writers.

In many systems, "Worshipping the Buddha" is associated with the palm receding/checking to defend or redirect an arm coming at the middle gate. In Buddhist devotion, this is one of three praying positions (one for each gate representing the Three Jewels).

Latest Discussions