• American Kenpo

• Tracy Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo (Castro)

• Shaolin Kempo (Vilarri)

• Kajukenbo

• Cerio Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu (Mitose)

• Kara Ho (Chow)

• Traditional Okinawan/Japanese (Ryukyu, Shorinji, etc)

• Other (Modern, Westernized, off-shoots)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
Hey he asked for a kicking art, not a martial art or self defense system!! Hence the reply he got:rofl: :rofl:
Why is it you compare something like that with kenpo? There's no need to:shrug:

I suppose it depends on just how much you understand and can teach about Ed Parker's Kenpo!

I have trained some of the best kicker's that I have seen in the martial arts. It is just a matter of focus. If all they want to is extract the "kicking" training of our Art, then that is completely possible, with results that can arguably be second to none.

In fact, I feel we have more to offer than TKD or other so called "kicking systems" within just the realm of kicking itself!

Thus my response..... I guess it all depends on your point of view.

:asian:

K

Katie Simmons

I'm with Mr.Conatser on this one. Kenpo, properly taught, includes some of the most debilitating kicks in the martial arts world. We target properly, which means they're not all high and flashy, but they're incredibly effective. At the last Gathering, Steve Finn (one of Al Tracy's newer guys) taught this great seminar on kicking, calling it the lost art of kenpo. It really opened my eyes. True, we kenpo practitioners are known for our hand techniques, but that's only partially because they're so damn good. It's also because hardly anyone (except the old guys) teaches kicking as an integral part of the system. And when I say kicking, I mean kicking the kenpo way, not incorporating TKD or TSD kicks for tournament purposes or because we feel that kenpo is lacking in that respect. Kenpo kicks are well-placed, powerful and direct. Kenpo is known for its effectiveness and brutality. Our kicks reflect that. Kenpo is a complete art. If we do not realize that as practitioners, why should anyone else?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The question was asked about a kicking art. That is all that I responded to. My roots will always be kenpo. Then I will branch my own personal horizons from there. We can obviously go on and on about the debate of Kenpo vs. TKD. I'd prefer we didn't. The grappling thing is enough for debate as well. If a person wanted to learn the 540 kick, 180 twist kick, 360 inside crescents, combos. containing front/roundhouse/spinning kicks (of any kind)/ or jumping kicks, side kicks/back kicks/ jump spin back kicks with inside crescents or axe kicks etc. etc. This was what I was responding to. :asian:

K

Kenpomachine

The last statement was to imply that kenpo is not comparable to TKD as they have a different approach to defense and that kenpo is quite complete while TKD is mainly kicks, kicks and more kicks.

And please, don't be fooled by the high kicks in exhibitions and tournaments, most of the guys there only learn what is valid with their rules, is just sport. Classic TKD is somewhat different... they even have to test with self defense techniques, even though the techs I saw sucked:rofl:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
The last statement was to imply that kenpo is not comparable to TKD as they have a different approach to defense and that kenpo is quite complete while TKD is mainly kicks, kicks and more kicks.

And please, don't be fooled by the high kicks in exhibitions and tournaments, most of the guys there only learn what is valid with their rules, is just sport.

Right on! Thank you for the extra interpretation.:asian:

Classic TKD is somewhat different... they even have to test with self defense techniques, even though the techs I saw sucked:rofl:

This is why I left TKD to learn Kenpo. :asian:

J

jules

Easy fellas!!

I only inquired as I find I hold back when I'm sparring
making my kicks weaker they should be. I am a loyal
kenpo practioner! However I don't anything wrong
with dabbling in other arts to make my kenpo stronger!
I do find TKD more of a sport than defence, although
I could use that to my benefit!:)

K

Kenpomachine

Then you'd better look inside you first, because that problem with sparring won't go out just by going to another class or system.
The kicks will come easier if you forget your nerves in the changing room :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I fall into that "other" catagory. Tracy and chinese mixed together, constantly evolving. The instructor has taught both the Tracy system and one of the hawaiian systems and blended the two together. Always looking for more techniques or ways to fine tune them. I wouldn't call it a "new" style because it is all based on previously contrived techniques.

Y

ydma1796

Chinese Kenpo

IKCA (International Karate Connection Assn.) I know it's a home study course. My TKD instructor is great he's helping me keep motivated and he corrects any mistakes I may make.

IMHO You really do need an instructor not just a couple of video tapes thou.

Salute :asian:
Kevin

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started in Mr. Parker's Chinese kenpo with Mr. Jeff English in the 70's and now study Mr. Sullivan's and Leroux's IKCA Chinese Kenpo.

EKP RIP

Big Pat:asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
EPAK.

I study at Rocky Mountain Self Defense w/ Mr. Troy Marchant in Lehi, Utah.

- Ceicei

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
EPAK!!

My instructor is Mr. Scott Halsey in Redding, CA. He studies under Mr. Huk Planas.

:asian: :karate:

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo-AKKI/Paul Mills here. Was in IKKA through Brown...Study and teach in Denver Colorado (good old garage kenpo is tough to beat ;-)

Sean

M

marshallbd

Originally posted by Gotkenpo?
Jean Guy Angel Kenpo for me.
What is that? I've heard of EPAK, Tracy's,Shaolin, what is this ? Again please take no insult...Just curious....

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by marshallbd
What is that? I've heard of EPAK, Tracy's,Shaolin, what is this ? Again please take no insult...Just curious....

you can find the answer for your question in "Has anybody here Studied Jean Guy Angel kenpo? " thread in kenpo/kempo-general

Latest Discussions