kenjutsu or similar practice in NE Iowa

RHONDA

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently moved to dubuque, iowa and am looking for some one to practice with. I have studied IsshynRyu karate (2nd degree Black Belt), Aiki Kenjutsu (2nd degree Black Belt), and ken ae (meditative sword art) (1st degree Black Belt) at Harp Karate in Rochester NY. Thanks for your help.
Rhonda

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did some digging on the AUSKF (All US Kendo Federation) website, and it looks like these are the closest dojos to you that are affiliated with them:

Moline Kendo Dojo

Moline, IL
David Birdesll
(309) 235-3132
[email protected]

Madison Kendo Dojo
Madison, WI
J. Mark Kenoyer
[email protected]

Googling "Dubuque Iowa" and kendo, kenjutsu, iaido, etc did not give any helpful results, but I imagine you already tried that and that's why you're asking here.

OP
RHONDA

RHONDA

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks - I haven't found any specific dojo. I was wondering if there is anyone else in the area that is looking for some one to practice with.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't look like there's much kenjutsu there. You could always try HEMA. There is a group starting in central Iowa if you're up for a drive. You'd at least get your sword fix. The principles are largely the same as many kenjutsu ryuha, but the specifics will differ. For example if they study longsword, the blade is longer, straight and has a crossguard. The stances are however, very similar to kenjutsu, the human body being what it is. The body mechanics are likely to be quite similar as well. If they do rapier, then there will be a fair amount of difference: mostly thrusting vs. mostly cutting, dominant foot lead vs non-dominant lead in much kenjutsu (and longsword), etc.

Latest Discussions