Ken Corona Hwarangdo?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of / worked with / learned from Ken Corona in Arizona?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So - just curious - a lot of discussion has been made about the Hwarangdo 70's gang of WHRDA students that moved on to prove themselves in their own schools - what of the 80's students who did the same? Has anyone ever heard of any of them? or is the shadow of the 70's too great to see beyond?

Respectfully,
SheSulsa

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear She:

My guess is that its better to consider these folks on the basis of their own merit rather than view them in light of a previous affiliation. The reason I suggest this is that IMVHE it seems that too often using the frame of reference you are advocating we tend to slip away from examining what makes the individual competent and get caught up in the political and affiliation loyalties instead. For instance, I don't know anything about the person mentioned in this string but would be very interested to know more about his skill set and teaching methods. Relating him to the HRD organization would seem to cast a pall over that discussion and might even bring his authenticity into question. Does this make sense?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahhh fer krine-nout-loud.......

Please don't tell me this is another one of those

"I wonder what people think about Master so&so (who just happens to be my instructors' instructor....)?"

Words like "self-promotion" and "waste of time" are rapidly coming to mind. If you want to promote a particular agenda why not be a bit more up-front about it, yes? I feel a little "slicked" when someone who has been such an interesting contributor pulls garbage like this, ya know what I mean?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! What a reaction!

I was actually just trying to learn more about the next generation that attended DJN Lee's school just for my own edification. I suppose I should have started a separate thread for this instead of tacking it onto this one.:)

With all due respect, I don't need to promote Master Corona; his ability speaks for itself and I wouldn't presume that hawking his schools is necessary - how rude that would be of me. I also don't really need to know what others think of him - it's what I think of him that counts in my mind.

Yes, I know KJN Corona; I've also been taught by KSN(?) Donnelly. But...really, so what? My only agenda is education...learning more about the OTHER students (not just Corona) who attended after the big, famous 70's group (I don't know who these people were). We all seem to just stop there in our knowledge - or, at least, discussion - of WHRDA; I'm just curious why?

If you think I have an alternative agenda, then please excuse me and please ignore the thread. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Georgia Ketchmark

Bob D.

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think Bruce jumped the gun on this but yes, you should have started another thread. I think the key here is to be direct with you questions. It did come across as baiting or ??? thats why I asked your point.
Regards, Bob

BTW; I don't use Korean titles but if my students want to call me something Korean that would be Sabunim (Chief instructor). Those other titles were implimented long after I started teaching. I think you'll find a lot of very good instructors out there that no longer have official rank in thier arts. I personally think it all meaningless as I has been very active in the arts for 20 of the last 25 years (5 year break in 80's)and have not done a "rank" test in 10.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, Sabunim Donnelly, I appreciate your consideration and I do apologize. Upon reading back, I suppose I can see that given the original title of this thread one could derive my later question as baiting.

I will take your advice and begin another thread directed more specifically towards my intent once I figure out exactly how I want to word my questions. :)

Respectfully,
Georgia Ketchmark

Bob D.

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwan Jang Nim Corona is my "Big Brother" in the art. He is also a very close friend. He remembers all that I've forgotten in the art and much more. I learn something from him everytime I see him which is not often enough.
He started in the arts at a very young age and was teaching Judo-aikido in his teens. He then started Hwa Rang Do after seeing the Lee brothers demonstrate in Phoenix back in the 70's. From that point on he focused on his HRD with Joo Bang Lee, KJN Gil Kim, and was fortunate enough to be liveing at the Downey dojang (HQ) when a group of the highest ranking Korean masters that the Lee's had left in Korea came to the US. He had many training sessions with them and they where very generous with thier knowledge. He has a lot of natural talent and absorbs what he sees. One of those that "Finesses" technique. So, needless to say he is one of the most knowledgable and generous instructors I've known. More deserving of his "Title" then some of those that gave it.
Like a majority of the other instructors from WHRDA he is no longer affiliated with WHRDA and is doing great on his own (has 2 schools and many of his Blackbelt students teaching elsewhere).
Regards, Bob

H

HRD MA

Good morning. Kinda late on the post, but I'm new to the forum.

I trained with Ken Corona from 1986 to 1988 when he had his school in Tempe AZ. I am currently a student of KJN Tim Elliot. Ken is a gifted martial artist and teacher, I learned alot from him. I believe his new school is now in Phx on Bell Rd. I pass it from time to time, it appears he is doing well.

HRD is a very comprehensive art. I've been in others, TKD, Chun Kuk Do and none have the components of HRD.

H

HRD MA

You know alot is said about the politics of HRD. Every martial art I have been in has some level of politics going on. I just exited the Chuck Norris system of Chun Kuk Do, heck if you werent a black belt, the other BB'ts wouldnt shake your hand. Not to mention that if you dont attend this function or that function (out of state of course costing lots of dollars) you were looked down upon. Not saying its wrong, but just read the posts of other MA's and you will find politics.

The bottom line is if you have Masters, Grand Masters and a pecking order, politics will exist. The question is, can you deal with the politics of that particular art you are interested in? If so, march on and have a great time.

I'm sure there are politics in what Ken is now doing. The difference is, he is now at the top of the pile directing them. Not a wrong thing to do.

Bob D.

Green Belt
Reaction score
HRD MA, What you say has some truth to it.
Whats your name? I don't enjoy conversing with anonymous posters.
Regards, Bob Donnelly

H

HRD MA

Hey Bob. My name is Patrick. I go back with Tim and Ken to 1986 trained for two years with both of these excellent instructors then got caught up in life (Police Academy, Fiancee) and dropped off. That was a big mistake, I would very easily be a Sa Bum Nim by now. But I'm not. I have Half Blks in two other arts and a Green in HRD. HRD is definitely home. I just have to try and remember everything again. Geesh!

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just the leaast bit uncomfortable about a couple of things here.

On the one hand I don't hold with self-promotion and have very little patience for people who do. That said, though, if someone, known or not, is doing a decent job for his students I think its not such a bad thing to identify that person and say why. We certainly would want to know about some 8-ball whose ripping people off, yes?

The other point I would make is that I think the word "politics" gets misused sometimes. Demostrating ones' support for their organization or kwan is part of the MA culture. I agree some people abuse this aspect and make their members jump through all sorts of unnecessary hoops. All the same, I can remember not so very long ago when I fully expected my students to turn-out for a local seminar given by a very reputable person and had one student show up. Needless to say I was just a tad miffed and made no bones about it! The MA are not some gymnastic one takes in like a course on golf or tennis. It is a historic cultural artifact bound together by a code and dedicated to the development of the individual and in the service of the community. I know some people would probably like to strip it of these aspects and reduce it to the same level as boxing or wrestling. I'm not saying people CAN'T do it. I'm just saying I'd rather not have it done around me. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bob D.

Green Belt
Reaction score
Patrick, Sounds like you have a good background. I think learning vast sets of techniques without practical ability and being concerned with rank is a fruitless pursuit though. For me, going back to basics, concentrating on concepts and actual fighting are the keys to becoming a good martial artist. Unfortunatly, politics can make the latter impossible.
Bob

H

HRD MA

Not quite sure I followed you either Bruce. I guess you can call politics what you will, the word "loyalty" can also be substituted. Again, neither is a bad thing. Its just a measurement of what the student can tolerate. I believe in and support HRD and the World Headquarters System that we have, my choice. Others may call me misguided or whatever, thats cool. I believe in our system. This doesnt mean there are not other great systems and organizations out there. I think for the most part we are all united against the "Mc'dojos" which is important, there are so many out there.

I've been lucky. I am being trained by a great instructor in KJN Tim Elliot and back in 1986 I was lucky to be trained by two great instructors/martial artists in Sa Bum Nim Tim Elliot and Ken Corona.

Latest Discussions