Kata

M

Mon Mon

What do you guys think the pros and cons are of studying two different styles with two different kind of katas? By this i mean i practice one art where to do the Kata right you need another person and the other Art i Practice the Kata is ment to be done by yourself.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can always do kata solo. The partner training comes when you can no longer see your flaws in the kata. You've ironed out things to your understanding....so you grab a senior to open up your flaws and show them to you.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the obvious con would be if you try to learn kata from two different types of systems and they interfere with your training. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it is a possibility.

I think an advantage would be that learning the kata from a different type of system would open up new possibilities in you 'main' system. Learning different sequences of motion and technique could help revitalize the kata practice of your 'main' system and help you with bunkai.

Cthulhu

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the Kata are different I see no problem. If they are simular but have different move somewhere in them I can see a possible problem of getting them mixed up .
Learning always help improve what you do. If by learning a 2nd art and its forms you can improve your knowledge of what is happening in your first, Go for it

OP
M

Mon Mon

I have gone back to just studying my first art it is right for me.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mon Mon,

People have a tendancy to move and think in ways that are most familiar to them. Correction and understanding is paramount for any kata. Practice each kata like its intended and you'll be better for it. What are the two arts?

don

OP
M

Mon Mon

Budo Taijutsu and Five Element Martial Art i just went back to studying budo taijutsu as it is right for me

Latest Discussions