Kata seraches - meanings etc. ?

A

Autocrat

Hi folks, I'm a newbie, and desperately seeking details about various katas.

I'm looking for details on the various kata used at my GoJu Karate club, (Okinawan GoJU & Te). Yet I'm really hitting a brick wall with trying to find details, so I'm asking... (crying/screaming... you name it! :) ) for help.

Specifically the Katas with the most problems are as follows......

Naihanchi (naifuanchi/nahanchi/ or with chin/shi or shin at the end!)
Shinsaidai (shinsei dai ??? or remotely similar!)
Te ashi waza (I believe its Aikido - so I've asked there!)

Any help is wonderful. Either here, or at the other request posts -

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20974 (aikido)

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20973 (karate)

(I've posted in the two relevant sections, ((Karate & Aikido)), yet thought linking them here might help!)

Thank you,

Autocrat

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The naihanchi series is common in Karate, and even made their way into Korean arts. I train in an older style of Tae Kwon Do which calls that series "chul-gi." I believe that translates to "iron horse," which makes sense since all of those forms (three total I think) are practiced in horse stance. Many of the striking motions in these forms double as grappling techniques.

Sorry I don't recognize the others, at least not by those names. Try using the board's search function with different spellings. I know that the naihanchi/chul-gi forms have been discussed before.

OP
A

Autocrat

nai han chi is one of the most problematic ones.... I know about the Iron horse.... but that was due to someone else who performed it so well, not the oriinal naming.... that was due to shotokan calling it Tek-Ki (iron horse) as that was the guys nick name due to kiba dachi...... I've got it down to something along the lines of "Subdue within domain"... looking at the techniques involved, it fits.... but the translation was a pain.... I was hoping others had done similar research to help validate ( or atleast match and make me feel better *grin*), my findings!

Still, thanks for confirming the Iron horse part... thats pretty safe now!

Any other takers?

Latest Discussions