Kata Naming Conventions

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I find the names of kata very interesting. Some of them appear to clearly capture the essence of that particular kata while others seem to be profoundly abstract(like Go-Hi).

I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on different naming conventions among the kata from the different Ryu.

For example many of the kata I have(not that I have many) seem to describe the effect on the Uke while others appear to describe something the practitioner does.

With Respect,
Stealthy.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The naming conventions depend entirely on the system itself, really. Koto Ryu uses on (fairly similar to Gyokko Ryu's for the record), Togakure Ryu is quite different (and very literal to it's descriptions), Kukishin's naming reflects it's naval traditions and history, Takagi Ryu oscilates between simple descriptive terms and more "esoteric" ones, Shinden Fudo has a lot of nature references, such as animals (Ryoto, which references a wolf, for example, or Ugari, which refers to a bird, and so on).

Ideally, each name should give you some idea or clue as to the kata itself, but it needs to be taken in context with the Ryu it comes from in particular. For example GoHi has references to "leaping", or "flying" in the name, and the kata is performed by leaping in to strike, and then leaping out to escape. Alternate readings of the name give a reference to catching a mouse, like a cat, which gives some insight into the way your hand moves in the striking action. So you know.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope it's not too much to ask for an example of one of the more "esoteric" Takagi Ryu kata?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Takagi Ryu naming will basically run the gammut from Katamune Dori (Capture a Single Lapel), which is a defence against a single lapel grab, to Yotsude Gatana (Four hand swords), which is a Daisho Sabaki techinque, a responce against an attempted draw (but using all four hands, yours and the opponents), through to Kasasagi (Magpie) which is against a punch and kick attack.... or a throwing attack, depending on which version you are looking at!

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Takagi Ryu naming will basically run the gammut from Katamune Dori (Capture a Single Lapel), which is a defence against a single lapel grab, to Yotsude Gatana (Four hand swords), which is a Daisho Sabaki techinque, a responce against an attempted draw (but using all four hands, yours and the opponents), through to Kasasagi (Magpie) which is against a punch and kick attack.... or a throwing attack, depending on which version you are looking at!

Some cool names right there, especially "four hand swords". Conjures up images of those statues with lots of arms.