• I do as these are vital to training

• I do not I can just remember them all

• I dont care about kata

Results are only viewable after voting.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ippon Ken said:
Why the smart assed tone? At the time Choi learned Shotokan China was NOT a communist country. Japan had occupied Manchuria, and he was stationed there. Like Gogen Yamaguchi and other Japanese army types, Nakayama comes to mind, he could have learned Chuan Fa. Maybe you guys should know more about the art of karate in general or general world history, especially if you're a karate-ka and especially if you claim to be an Okinawan stylist, Bogu Rob! Too much punchy-kicky in the heady when doing jiyu kumite, Bobby!

Choi wanted props, and credit and at the same time wanted to discredit the Japanese anyway he could. Plus $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

Take One's Doe!

How ya' like them apples?

Now go learn real karate and real karate history. Without-A-Clue Ryu is not a legit style.
Oooohhhh someone has there panties in a wad don’t they........ya know a good martial artist doesn’t lose his cool so quickly.

Here is what I dug up on “why” they trained in Karate instead of Kung Fu....

During the Japanese occupation, many Korean boys were taken to Japan for education and training, which sometimes included intensive training in the Japanese martial arts. (Masutatsu Oyama Sensei (Choi Yong-i) was Korean, Grand Master Lee (Yi) Won-Kuk trained in Shotokan under Funakoshi Sensei, and General Choi Hong Hi..............

This seems to make more logical sense than your diatribe on him wanting “props” and to “discredit the Japanese anyway he could”.
BTW, do you have any proof that those were his intentions???

And as for this statement I made:

Uuuuhhhhh because China is a Communist country and Choi is from South Korea and thereby forbidden to travel to any Communist country.

Someone asked why he didn't train in Kung Fu or China......that was my guess at the answer, I wasn't stating it as "fact".
However, I actually bothered to look for the answer as to why Choi studied Karate instead of just making something up, did you?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Sheldon Bedell
aka Tshadowchaser
-MT Moderator-