- (KashimaShintoRyu Kenjutsu)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very interesting! I'm seeing a lot of similarities to Kashima Shinryu (hardly surprising, I know), but there's a number of major differences as well. The two-handed Kodachi waza are fairly unusual.... Would be good to see this done at a higher pace with Bokken or Fukuro Shinai, the metal weapons don't allow for such speed. Very nice.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Very interesting! I'm seeing a lot of similarities to Kashima Shinryu (hardly surprising, I know), but there's a number of major differences as well. The two-handed Kodachi waza are fairly unusual.... Would be good to see this done at a higher pace with Bokken or Fukuro Shinai, the metal weapons don't allow for such speed. Very nice.

Don't be too surprised at the two-handed kodachi usage. A few ryuha do that. Other well known ryuha that do so are Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu (A lot of their kodachijutsu involves utilizing both hands) and Araki-ryu.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, Steve,

I was aware of Jikishinkage Ryu, but not Araki Ryu. Is that in most lines, or are you talking specifically about the line you train in (and the Isezaki line, I'd assume)? There are also two-handed Kodachi kata in the X-kan Kukishinden Ryu Happo Biken line as well, with the weapon used there being a very literal "small Tachi", mounted as a tachi, and with a full tsuka.