Karate vs TKD

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Low hands vs high hands is a complicated argument. If you defend with good footwork angles and timing you can be casual with your guard. And that let's you strike from trickier angles.

If you are **** keep your guard tight.

I keep a tight guard by the way.

So the progression is you keep a tight guard until you can bash the guys who are telling you to do that. Then you can do what you want.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA started out as a free for all and got destroyed by BJJ. Then Muay Thai was brought into the mix + BJJ to dominate year 5-15 (approx). And for the past 10+ years, it's been dominantly Boxing + Wrestling with BJJ & MT dropping down to secondary arts.

These many other ways of fighting had their chances in years 1-5 (esp. year 1) when it was potluck, bullshido, anything goes almost; where you can write down as many Black Belt degrees and fake & real fight experience as you wanted on the registration and Bruce Buffer woulda announced it.

So what happened to all these other ways of fighting? They've laying low for the past 25 years, just waiting for the right moment to strike and bring home all the $$$ and glory to their style?

I don't know if it's a stylistic thing, but when you write things like the above it feels like you have such a skewed view of the things you're discussing that the work it would take to discuss them is just too much.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The footwork that allows easy kicking and elbows also allows the other guy to grab your legs and hips.
Ah so it's less vulnerable as opposed to having better defence.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a stylistic thing, but when you write things like the above it feels like you have such a skewed view of the things you're discussing that the work it would take to discuss them is just too much.
I don't see anything false or unsound about his argument here. Where do you see a disconnect?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a prototype view of how martial arts works. Where you can see the problem but not completely identify it or the causes.

Or just time and time again seeing sports fighters decimate non sports fighters.

And seeing the inconsistency with training.

I don't think it is as cut and dried as he does. But there is definitely this element of people refusing to do the things that will give them any success in martial arts application.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The footwork that allows easy kicking and elbows also allows the other guy to grab your legs and hips.

BTW anyone else see the connection between the Muay Thai and Wing Chun stances.

(Also my autocorrect keeps turning Wing Chun into Wing Chunky. It's only a matter of time before I slip so I thought I should get ahead of it).

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we are there already. Within competitive MMA, there are vastly different successful styles of fighting already happening.

What ways to fight are not already there that would be attained by shucking said 'dogmatic rules'?

There are some fighters that successfully utilize mostly kicks and keep their hands low and barely punch.

Elias Theodorou is one example off the top of my head.

Your own posts contradict his point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh. Nothing wrong with a little power when sparring friendly.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come off so harsh. I've simply never been a fan of tippity-tappity rabbit fighting.

It forces a concept that quick entries and exits are king.

Now the better you are at that the better you fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

(Also my autocorrect keeps turning Wing Chun into Wing Chunky. It's only a matter of time before I slip so I thought I should get ahead of it).

Their hands are more ammy boxing though. And again they have optimised their stance to make their system easier.

And we also see wing chun not that great against takedowns. But that is also their staunch and bang methodology.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think whenever you're sparring, you're playing a game, and it's hard to judge the tactics of the game without knowing what game they're playing, what the rules are, and what their goal is.
Aren't there usually defined rules for sparring in a given Dojo/Dojang? The goals for sparring are different in regards to SD of course but the application of techniques should be much the same.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their hands are more ammy boxing though. And again they have optimised their stance to make their system easier.

And we also see wing chun not that great against takedowns. But that is also their staunch and bang methodology.
The Urban dictionary says ammy means: "A Classy but sexy long haired beauty". I am guessing that is not what you meant.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
One is active, one is passive.
What now?

Being less vulnerable means..that you are less vulnerable. This is usually because you have taken measures such as..keeping your hands up, keeping your Ballance..and moving in such a way that you don't get hit.

Aka defense :p

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your own posts contradict his point.
Where? I see nothing contradictory between my words you quoted and his post. Could you point out what you find to be contradictory?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I do both, but I don't see too much similarity. I guess both keep a lot of weight on the back foot.

Latest Discussions