Karate & the Olympics

TKDFromDMV_Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now that the 2016 Olympics are over and the 2020 Olympics will be in Tokyo, do you think that Karate may have a chance of being in the Olympics this time around?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karate has already been selected for 2020.

But it is a host country selection so there is no guarantee that it will continue after 2020.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original post was quite rude about Tug of War which actually was an Olympic sport in 1900, 1904, 1908, 1912 and 1920.
It's also a ten year old thread.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tug of War would be GREAT. They should also bring back Dueling Pistols (1906) and the 200m Swimming Obstacle Race (1900).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Motor boating used to be an Olympic sport in the early 1900s. It should be brought back. Only this time, make it the pop culture motor boating.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor boating used to be an Olympic sport in the early 1900s. It should be brought back. Only this time, make it the pop culture motor boating.

I would like to see sports that are inexpensive to learn in the Olympics to give as many people as possible a chance to compete as well as learn about new sports.
Ball sports tend to be inexpensive, proper football ( soccer to the uninitiated lol) is cheap kids can actually use an old tennis ball and a bit on ground to play, cricket is the same hence it's popularity in places like India, Pakistan etc. Volleyball, handball and net ball all cheap. Martial arts I think can be inexpensive to learn and practice, Gis not actually necessary though I'm sure the world's better off martial artists would donate anything needed.
Much as I love eventing and dressage these are quite exclusive sports for most people likewise the sailing, rowing and kayaking type events. Same with archery unless they went back to basic bows and arrows!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fun fact. Hydro racing is the very first organized sport in the Seattle area, and we still have hydroplane races on Lake Washington each year during Seafair. It's AWESOME. Those boats are so fast it's crazy. That would be a blast to watch.