Karate Teacher Charged With Kicking Child Over 200 Times

ellies

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned about how this will affect public perception of Martial Arts? I'm glad the clip Arni posted did mention that this was not the norm. I'd be curious to see if other Dojos, clubs, classes in the area had a sudden drop in enrollment or kids pulled out of classes? Or even if it had a nationwide effect with how news is spread these days.

I know that I had heard some horror stories about McDojos (I called them popcorn Dojos...same diff). I know I would have started MA much sooner if not for fear of self-important idiots like this. It was only after the recommendation of someone I really trusted, and trying out a class that I was hooked. I have to say that I am loving the challenge, the outlet, and the chance to improve myself physically, emotionally, etc.

Still, I wonder how many more people would give MA a try as a child or an adult...if it weren't for stories like this?

Instructor; doesn't that mean you are in a position of leadership, Always in control, knowing when to say okay that's ridiculous? How about the part wher you are the adult and just plain know better. I see this all the time in Military Combatives and Martial Arts training. The worse part is when they come into the clinic days after it happens, and these are adult! So imagine when some kid thinks he or she is tough enough to handle a strong kick. You as the instructor must say to yourself and them, I don't think it is necessary for you meld foolishness and wisdom as one. I often hear from parent in class about how little billy or susie is tough enough to take it, and I respectfully reply with: That may be, but this is training environment, I am not here to play how tough is my child. This the same method I use with soldiers, only train as you fight, but be wise about it.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey, it was a joke....
:)
I actually detest the WTF abbreviation on the internet, so I like to rag people on martial arts message boards when the use it.

AoG

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey, it was a joke....
:)
I actually detest the WTF abbreviation on the internet, so I like to rag people on martial arts message boards when the use it.

AoG

S'allright... too much digging up sod in my yard!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know someone that kicks trees to train... can he kick the instructors just oh say 25 times apiece

Hell can I kick the instructors just 10 times apiece

Or can we line up and give them the full 200

What the HELL is wrong with them, you DON’T kick an 11-year-old PERIOD.
OK now you have gone too far. Control is the key.
sean

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
By way of update, the school's website is up. She is listed as an instructor, 3d dan. There is a request for all to support "Sensei Susan" at her hearing on August 28, 2008.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Final Update - Today, the website of Jeff Bateman's Karate School announced that the City of Suffolk had dropped all charges against Susan Bateman, who had always maintained her innocence.

They further assert that this is a great victory for martial arts schools and athletic departments across the nation. (One may have their own feelings on that score.)

WAVY - 10 (wavy.com) ran a story that she was actually acquitted of all charges by a Suffolk Judge. However, it was noted that there has been a "drastic" drop in membership at the Suffolk branch of the organization.

Last edited:

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

I wonder why none of the parents were interviewed. Especially the parent(s) of the child in question.

Bad journalism... Just bad news writing.

Red flags shot up as soon as I finished reading/watching the story. I mean, I kick 11-year-olds in the privacy of my own home... and even they can only take, like, 50 or so shots to the head until they pass out...

Just kidding... Only 10 times to the face...

Still kidding.

Latest Discussions