Karate Pictures for my Book

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot of great comments here. I may have to rethink how I'm planning to use this pictures and exactly how many pictures I may want to use. Photography isn't a strong skill of mine, so it'll be really hard to produce something that will flow well with my text without distracting the reader.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Do not give up, but take the advice of those here and get someone to take some pictures for you.

Try it again yourself, with some of the comments and if you do not like them as it is your book then keep the originals.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think those photos on the beach have the potential to be stunning. They have to be re-shot, but the location is fantastic.

Consider another type of photography done on beaches - female models. They are popular because done right, they draw attention to the model even though the background is also dynamite.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2008_swimsuit/

Notice the lighting and how it is used. You can visualize the lighting that was used by looking at shadows in many cases. Notice the background is both darker than the model and never entirely in focus, it is lovely but does not intrude.

Although I suspect you'll not be donning a bikini, the principles here are the same. Fill flash, open aperture to throw backgrounds out of focus, experiment with camera angles to better illustrate your points, and keep focus on the actual point you're trying to make with a given shot - like on hands or feet or posture, etc.