Karate Pictures for my Book

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't care for the photos of the weapons laying on concrete or whatever that is. Very distracting. They need to be photographed in a studio.

The outdoor kata photos are fine, except they need fill flash. The background is lovely but should not compete with the foreground subject.

The child is indeed a cutie.

NOTE: And keep those horizons straight! Oceans that tilt make people seasick! :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for me the one of you are ok if the background was a little less, the weapons ones are just not good, they need to be done individually with a background that is like a soft dark color to present them in the right way. Weapon should be held ina higher regard for the purpose of the book. I know you want thisto bethe best and I hope it will be.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The weapons photos need to be shot elsewhere with a different background. The kata/hyung photos need some flash or something. You're too dark and I can't make out enough detail.

Bob's suggestions are excellent (wish my old photogrpahy teacher had given me such advice back in the day) :)

Peace,
Erik

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First group. Which is best? Why?

None, although the one with the belts horizontol would be the "best" of the group.

A question for you? What is the order for the belts? The Picture should tell a story or help explain, the colors not being together makes it difficult to follow in my opinion.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Second Group. Which one is best? Why?

I like the last one as both the "Cane" and he Sword "Handles" are on the same side which gives the picture a Top.

I understand the alternating knives / shorter blades, but take one with all "handles" on one side and see how that looks.

Also if you are retaking pictures, try the Cane so the arch does not wrap over top a FMA Stick/cane.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Third Group. Which one is best? Why?

Picture one in this group as it gives you an angle to SEE the items in the picture and Identify them the best.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Group Five. Which is best? Why?

I like the first one for the Islands in the back ground and that you do not cover them up, but, your let foot is not the same angle as Number four that also does not cover the islands in the back but the angle of the shot removes some of the islands on the left (* looking at picture *), and because of thei Shot angle change the left foot "looks" better to me.

Picky I know.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Group Eight. Which is best? Why?

Number 3 & 8

And I like 3 the best, just beecause, but 8 gives a nice shot of you.

I do not like 7 as your eyes are down. The other transitions stances are either the wrong angle or one cannot see where you are going or where you were at.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Group Nine. Which is best? Why?

None.

Why I do not like them:

#1) You really cannot see the weapon.

#2) The cane in your right hand seems to be at an odd angle the exposes it disarm and awkwardness. (* From the picture - perspective *)

#3) I like your weight placement in this one and the left hand looks good but the right once again seems to far twsited back by the wrist.

#4) This is the "best" of the group, the tucked chin is ok, and weight is neutral maybe right biased which is ok for the shots, but that right hand wrist is still tilted back. If the back of the hand and wrist were straight it might look better for the picture.

Knife work always attracts comments. No one is happen with how others approach knife work and many are not happy with any solution. That being said:

#5) You are concentrating on the opponents attack, your head and eyes are down.

$6) I do not like crosses like that, but it is preferrence and or training styles. So, ....

#7) is better as the water is in the background but, your head is down but not as much as the other one.

Sorry not trying to get critical on you, but on what is "Seen" in the picture.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a lot of great comments here. I may have to rethink how I'm planning to use this pictures and exactly how many pictures I may want to use. Photography isn't a strong skill of mine, so it'll be really hard to produce something that will flow well with my text without distracting the reader.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have to be honest, I don't care for any of them, but #4 in both groups is best. Group 1 #3 looks just messy. Rest are lacking 'something' to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it yet.
They're all just inanimate piles of stuff, and nothing "interesting" in them.

They might work better with the caption/explanation... but you need some life in there, I think...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot of great comments here. I may have to rethink how I'm planning to use this pictures and exactly how many pictures I may want to use. Photography isn't a strong skill of mine, so it'll be really hard to produce something that will flow well with my text without distracting the reader.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the comments, everyone.
Rather than trying to do it yourself -- find someone to do it for you. An art or photography student, for example, might be able to use the photos for a class project, while you then publish them in your book. (Giving them full credit for the photography, of course!) It's a win all around, and you might get it done cheap. Or you might find someone in a photography club to do it for you inexpensively. Just look at their work first...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
T Photography isn't a strong skill of mine, so it'll be really hard to produce something that will flow well with my text without distracting the reader.

There are plenty of budding/hopeful/emerging photographers who will work with you to produce suitable images either for very cheap or for free (give them experience and the right to keep images for their portfolios in exchange for the work). You might give some thought to that. They can be found at the local community college, on a local Flickr group, and via local photography clubs.

Many books are picked up, flipped through, and put down again because of the perceived quality of the photos. It's not fair, but it is what it is. If your goal is to sell your book, the photography is important, IMHO. Good luck!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rather than trying to do it yourself -- find someone to do it for you. An art or photography student, for example, might be able to use the photos for a class project, while you then publish them in your book. (Giving them full credit for the photography, of course!) It's a win all around, and you might get it done cheap. Or you might find someone in a photography club to do it for you inexpensively. Just look at their work first...

Seems we think alike on this, sorry posted seconds after you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's OK... lets me expand on why!

How many times has it been posted here that there's no substitute for a qualified instructor, or a real doctor or lawyer for good advice on those issues? Photography is a specialized skill set and art. Why tarnish lots of good research and writing with a crappy amateur set of photographs? Would you turn in a doctoral thesis and have a 5 year old do the graphs? Of course not!

Last edited:
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's OK... let's me expand on why!

How many times has it been posted here that there's no substitute for a qualified instructor, or a real doctor or lawyer for good advice on those issues? Photography is a specialized skill set and art. Why tarnish lots of good research and writing with a crappy amateur set of photographs? Would you turn in a doctoral thesis and have a 5 year old do the graphs? Of course not!

Great posts all around. I do happen to know some people who have a passion for photography. I thought about asking them, but I wanted to try my own hand at it first.

Latest Discussions