Karate in DFW

MyMartialMind

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good school in DFW that focuses on bunkai and kyusho practice (not necessarily KO)?

Thanks.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what part of town do you live in? if you are only interested in traditional japanese karate, I would rec Shihan Ivan Lewis in Arlington.

OP
M

MyMartialMind

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, I live in Plano, however, if the instructor is good I don't mind driving to get what I'm looking for. I am not only interested in Japanese Karate, did you have another system and instructor in mind?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i am from there, and i know pretty much everyone worth going to, tell me what you are looking for in a school, and i will hook you up.

OP
M

MyMartialMind

White Belt
Reaction score
The style is not as important as the focus of the school. So I am looking for a school that is self defense based, not one focused on tournament sparring or even useless sparring for that matter. If it is a style where forms are practiced, then practical self defense scenarios and responses should be linked to the movements of the form. In terms of culture, I want the students to be sort of serious about what they are doing. I think the Sensei/Sifu/Guro etc. sets the tone for this in the school. Thanks.