CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Site not working but it is live on Youtube

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love watching kyokushin, but the lack of face punching can make it an acquired taste. At the end of the day, I don't think it has to be one or the other. Just like boxing and MMA can coexist, and one person can like both.
I agree it doesn’t have to be an either or thing. I’m not loyal to watching any one type at the expense of everything else.

And yeah, I’d like to see head punching in those, but bare knuckle and head punching don’t go very well for the fighters for any length of time.

Maybe I like the other ones because they’re more established and the kinks have been worked out. Maybe it’s because it’s what I “grew up” watching in my MA journey. Maybe it’s because the fighters in those competitions have more experience with their respective rule-sets. Maybe I just didn’t like those particular fighters’ style. Maybe it’s a combination. I don’t know. It just didn’t do it for me. I wanted to be more into it that I am. MMA doesn’t do it for me either. I’d rather watch boxing or Muay Thai.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dang....our friend got caught with a left hook and KO’d in the 1st round.

So far 3 fights——2 KO’s and 1 TKO.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree it doesn’t have to be an either or thing. I’m not loyal to watching any one type at the expense of everything else.

And yeah, I’d like to see head punching in those, but bare knuckle and head punching don’t go very well for the fighters for any length of time.

Maybe I like the other ones because they’re more established and the kinks have been worked out. Maybe it’s because it’s what I “grew up” watching in my MA journey. Maybe it’s because the fighters in those competitions have more experience with their respective rule-sets. Maybe I just didn’t like those particular fighters’ style. Maybe it’s a combination. I don’t know. It just didn’t do it for me. I wanted to be more into it that I am. MMA doesn’t do it for me either. I’d rather watch boxing or Muay Thai.

Any new rule-set is going to require a lot of tweaking and balancing before it's really refined, and the competitors coming from a different rule-set are going to have an adjustment period before they are really used to the new rule-set. I think both of these things are very true of Karate Combat right now. But I'm still really enjoying watching it.

My personal rankings so far in terms of what I like to watch:

Kyokushin > Karate Combat > Sanda > MMA > Boxing

But that's as subjective as which ice cream flavor I like best. I think the most important thing is, this thing has potential to become one popular flavor of many if it gets off the ground.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any new rule-set is going to require a lot of tweaking and balancing before it's really refined, and the competitors coming from a different rule-set are going to have an adjustment period before they are really used to the new rule-set. I think both of these things are very true of Karate Combat right now. But I'm still really enjoying watching it.

My personal rankings so far in terms of what I like to watch:

Kyokushin > Karate Combat > Sanda > MMA > Boxing

But that's as subjective as which ice cream flavor I like best. I think the most important thing is, this thing has potential to become one popular flavor of many if it gets off the ground.
Absolutely. Have you watched any of the Sabaki Challenge? If you like Kyokushin and Karate Combat, it should be right up your alley.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Watched the full event in Miami. Overall, enjoyed it. I think the first-round knockouts may diminish as they get used to the rule sets. It succeeds in having a different feel than other popular full connect fighting sports.

As a side note, I found all the trash talk before fights ("he looks like a punching bag," etc), the entry in a Rolls Royce before walking down an aisle of Lambos and Ferraris, etc all very distasteful. I much, much prefer the stoic respect you see in, say, the Ukrainian Kyokushin tournaments that the Odessit Youtube channel publishes so many of.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watched the full event in Miami. Overall, enjoyed it. I think the first-round knockouts may diminish as they get used to the rule sets. It succeeds in having a different feel than other popular full connect fighting sports.

As a side note, I found all the trash talk before fights ("he looks like a punching bag," etc), the entry in a Rolls Royce before walking down an aisle of Lambos and Ferraris, etc all very distasteful. I much, much prefer the stoic respect you see in, say, the Ukrainian Kyokushin tournaments that the Odessit Youtube channel publishes so many of.
Yep that's modern day for you trash talk sells for some reason. That's why UFC will never get rid of mcgregor even though he should be gone years ago for the stuff he's done

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally like to an extent, I just feel its too limited for full contact, making it a little akward. The lack of leg kicks hinders other karate styles. I would also like to see standing elbows.

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also would like to see them wear the kimonos and allow grabs and throws with it! I do like it though and well keep watching it and wish it the best.

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting

Are kicks to the upper leg that fundamental to those arts?
For kyokushin, how they compete, I'd think so. I can't personally say, because I never trained it. I have trained thai boxing, and they use the low kick, very much like a thai boxer would.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting

Are kicks to the upper leg that fundamental to those arts?
The gedan mawashi geri (low roundhouse kick) is about as fundamental as a jab in boxing. They outside and inside of the thighs are primary targets that a lot of combos start with. And it’s used to wear your opponent down. Taking that away is almost (but not quite) like taking a boxer’s jab away.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhh there's nothing like landing a perfect gedan mawashi geri... XD (I also can't help but smile if someone lands one on me!)

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I overall enjoyed watching this and think it will get better with time/modifications as discussed above.

All this said, the camera coverage annoyed the heck out of me. It is as if the camera crew got new toys and had to use them. Camera shots of some old dude's head. I want to watch the fighters. I want to see their whole body, not just their torso.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Camera angles definitely need to improve but that should improve as they put more events on.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, the camera work has been terrible so far in terms of actually capturing the action. But that's about as easy as problems get to solve.

Latest Discussions