CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bad Rutten on Joe Rogan podcast talking about karate combat

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the arena. I've never been a fan of the Octagon or cage look, which was like putting 2 dogs into a small area in an effort to force them to fight each other. I prefer a larger arena vs a smaller one caged one. I think this arena is going to demand more of skill from the fighters as it will allow people to better maintain the distance as needed.

The best thing is that there is no cage to interfere with the techniques and possible strikes as you get closer to the boundaries. For example, there's no way I could use my long fist techniques if there is a fence close to my back.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The next Karate Combat Event is set to be live this week on the 26th. It will be held in Miami.

We had a friend try to compete in it but they couldn't him him a fight in time. Our other friend who compete in Genesis is set to compete in Dubai in May.

Genesis was held in a warehouse in Budapest.

Miami looks to be in the top of a Sky Scraper

Dubai will be held on a Heli Pad on top of a building.

Karate Combat full contact karate league - The Combat Sport of the Future

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Genesis was held in a warehouse in Budapest.

Miami looks to be in the top of a Sky Scraper

Dubai will be held on a Heli Pad on top of a building.
I guess they have to make to do this to make bring in the curiosity. Do you know if they will expand it, into other martial art systems?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess they have to make to do this to make bring in the curiosity. Do you know if they will expand it, into other martial art systems?

I'm not sure. I would think if it catches on they would open it up to anyone who can fight within their rules set. Time will only tell.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with Karate Combat's competitors all coming from a karate background. I don't think you'd be eligible to join an Olympic TKD team if you weren't a taekwondoin, and I don't think you could join an Olympic boxing team if you weren't a boxer, no matter how good you were in another style. I'm looking at this as an alternative to WKF point-stop competition for karateka, not as some sort of direct competitor to the UFC. I think it should be open to karateka, ITF taekwondoin, and Tang Soo Do folks, etc, all of whom are very similar in the grand scheme of things...but I'd hate to see it flooded by grapplers who have cross-trained in Muay Thai. Nothing against them, but they've already got the UFC catering to them.

I think the locations are a bit over the top. Feels like they're trying to make a real life video game, like real life Street Fighter 2. And given some of Bas Rutten's comments about the biometric tracking being "like a video game," maybe that's intentional?

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer a larger arena vs a smaller one caged one. I think this arena is going to demand more of skill from the fighters as it will allow people to better maintain the distance as needed.

The best thing is that there is no cage to interfere with the techniques and possible strikes as you get closer to the boundaries. For example, there's no way I could use my long fist techniques if there is a fence close to my back.
I'd say that dealing with walls and obstacles is a skill in itself. Furthermore, I'd say it's a skill with real world applications.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read this about 4 times...still don't know what it means.
In other words it's more about marketing. Sometimes businesses will do things to make people curious about what a company has to offer. For example, had it not been for the shape of the ring, many of us would have less curiosity about Combat Karate. Many of us have already seen combat karate before.

We have seen rings like this before. So for many it just registers as nothing new. It wouldn't even register on the "hey check this out." share with a friend response. But you call something Combat Karate and show a ring that no one is familiar with or have ever fought in, then your curiosity draws you in, not the karate. I'm pretty sure many of these guys have sparred in competitions before but none of us are looking for those competition videos. So what has changed? The ring. Now put this new wring design on top of a tall building, then people start to wonder what is that all about. What does that even look like? The marketing exploits the curiosity of humans in order to get more people interested in something that is actually fairly common in the world of the martial arts competition.

If you saw this ring and someone told you that they were going to fight in it. The first thing most people's mind do is say "Hey what's this about?" "How does that even work?"
So in short I'm just referring how the marketing is exploiting the natural curiosity of people. For the purpose of getting more people to tuned in to watch, and hoping that the first experience of watching is good enough to watch again.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But you call something Combat Karate and show a ring that no one is familiar with or have ever fought in, then your curiosity draws you in, not the karate. I'm pretty sure many of these guys have sparred in competitions before but none of us are looking for those competition videos. So what has changed? The ring.

Strongly disagree. The single biggest difference between this competition and these competitors' prior competitions is the fact that this is full-contact continuous sparring, and these guys are all top-tier competitors, but from a competition circuit of light-contact point-stop competition (WKF karate). That rule set is a dramatic difference from WKF karate competition. That's what makes this different from these karatekas' prior competitions.

Compare Rafael Aghayev in this video:

with this video:

For me, the fact that the ring was flat on the edges instead of sloped on the edges was not the biggest difference.

Last edited:

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this looks good, I'll be tuning in on Friday :D

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm super pumped for it! The whole thing is right up my alley & I haven't been happy with the general UFC attitude recently. I believe the biggest set back to the Karate League is their announcers don't bring any level of hype comparable to the UFC. I appreciate their dialogue, but they need to really get louder & more enthusiastic in order for the whole thing to be successful.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Strongly disagree. The single biggest difference between this competition and these competitors' prior competitions is the fact that this is full-contact continuous sparring, and these guys are all top-tier competitors, but from a competition circuit of light-contact point-stop competition (WKF karate). That rule set is a dramatic difference from WKF karate competition. That's what makes this different from these karatekas' prior competitions.

For me, the fact that the ring was flat on the edges instead of sloped on the edges was not the biggest difference.
This is the perspective from which I made my comment. I wasn't specifically referring to WKF but to martial arts in general. Which are usually fought on a flat surface, raised platform, ring, or cage. This is the only ring that I know of that has a 45 degree incline that is used keep fighters within the zone. Unless you know of someone else who fights in a similar arena

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just did some research on it. It looks like it's going to be a Professional Karate fighting league.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sunken pits have been used for combat sports for all of human history. Ancient examples include the Roman Coliseum. Recent examples include this boxing league:

State of Nevada Sanctions Big-Knockout Boxing (BKB) and Will Be Home to Newest Combat Sport

I just did some research on it. It looks like it's going to be a Professional Karate fighting league.

Yes, all of that has been discussed in this thread. It's a professional, full-contact karate league for established karate competitors, typically those coming from the WKF (where competition is light-contact point-stop). It is for karate what sanda competition is for kung fu.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So looks like our friend will be fighting in The Miami event.

He will be going up against Spyro Margitopoulus from Greece.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t want to be the hater here, but...

I’d rather watch Kyokushin, Enshin’s Sabaki Challenge, or Kudo. I haven’t watched much Kudo, but I like the little bit I’ve seen better than this. Maybe it was the fighters and not the rule set that doesn’t do it for me, I don’t know.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don’t want to be the hater here, but...

I’d rather watch Kyokushin, Enshin’s Sabaki Challenge, or Kudo. I haven’t watched much Kudo, but I like the little bit I’ve seen better than this. Maybe it was the fighters and not the rule set that doesn’t do it for me, I don’t know.

I love watching kyokushin, but the lack of face punching can make it an acquired taste. At the end of the day, I don't think it has to be one or the other. Just like boxing and MMA can coexist, and one person can like both.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost time. Free Live stream on Karate.com starts in 1 hour! :cool:

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
UK Fighter Jerome Brown will start it off against Spain's Pedro Roig