Karate Combat Genesis 2018

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mitlov, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Yellow Belt

Anyone else keeping an eye on this? Apparently some folks have put together a full-contact rule set oriented toward karateka, and the first event featured a bunch of established WKF karateka as competitors and Bas Rutten as a commentator. Good production values too.

I'm skeptical that this will go anywhere, but tentatively excited at the same time.

Sample fight:

Sports Illustrated article with some background but also some head-scratching claims (real-time DNA monitoring of fighters? What?) Karate Combat's full contact karate league announced

2. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Yes I have a couple friends competing in it.

Every event is gonna move around kinda like a video game. The last one was in a warehouse. I think they are gonna do one event on top of a building..

3. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Not DNA.....Biometrics.

Heart Rate, Level of Exertion, punch and kick speed. If you turn it on it shows it on the screen during the fight.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Yellow Belt

Cool! I really hope it does well. I think having two levels of competition sparring--light contact point-stop as the more "mass-market" option, plus some full-contact continuous for those who want to do it (that's still less damaging to competitors than full-on UFC competition or 12-round professional boxing is), could be really good for the karate scene.

About the DNA comment, this is the quote in Sports Illustrated that had me scratching my head: "It's the first professional league to display biometric, nutrition, training and DNA-based data in real time to give fans insight into a fighter." Heart rate makes sense to me, but real-time nutrition data and real-time DNA-based data both sounded like total nonsense. Maybe something got messed up in the SI interview?