Kang Chuan Do

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone trained in this style? Is anyone familiar with it? Its a blend of Okinwan karate & Chinese arts.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going by the name it's probaly a Korean art

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds Korean, but its not. I'm trying to find out more about myself. I believe it was started by Master Walter Borkowski, a Shorei-Ryu master.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Yeah, it sounds Korean, but its not. I'm trying to find out more about myself. I believe it was started by Master Walter Borkowski, a Shorei-Ryu master.

And that makes me think it is likely not okinawan karate. I'm fairly sure that Shorei ryu, by that name, hasn't existed for a long long time, if ever. I could, of course, be wrong about this, so who did he learn Shorei ryu from ?

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep, I saw that page earlier when I was looking for info on this Kang Chuan Do. Here's an example of a paragraph that I have trouble with:

Shorei-ryu was first brought to the United States in 1946 by Robert Trias, who opened the first karate school in this country then. While in the Orient, Trias studied the system under Choke Motobu's chief instructor, Tung Gee Hsing, and learned the Chinese mo-kempo under Hoy Yuan Ping.

First of all, the name is Choki Motobu, not Choke. Granted, that could be a simple spelling error, but every reference I've checked on Choki Motobu says that his instructors were Okinawan, not Chinese and Tung Gee Hsing sure sounds like a chinese name to me

Also, I thought Robert Trias' style was called Shuri ryu, not Shorei ryu

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm learning bits & pieces from various sources, but there's still a lot of the puzzle I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

MKMOLLOY

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm learning bits & pieces from various sources, but there's still a lot of the puzzle I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

I practice kang Chuan do. I can help you with any questions you may have.

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to break it to you sir.

But in 9 years, he is almost sure to have either given up the style or be atleast a black belt, if not higher.

So unless you're a 3rd Dan+ Kang Chuan Do artist, then your answers may not qite be sufficient. No offense, of course.

mjw1

White Belt
Reaction score
So is kangchaundo branded as kungfu or karate then???

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not Chinese. It may be named as such & have "Chinese" influences, but it's not Chinese.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How is the quest going Ice? Found out much more? Just curious as this is a very interesting thread to me :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no offense meant to an that study this style but I just did a Yahoo search and found this link:
Kangchungdo.com
the statement that he was the greatest martial artiest in and of itself would turn me away from studying the art.
I know the man has passed away but how big of an ego do you need to wear Grand Master on your belt.
Lets see an oreintal sounding name of the system and a karate gi HHHMMMM

as I said no disrespect to the man or his students just a few things that would turn me away

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah also not with BJJ. Suppose it is comfort over tradition and vice versa.
Maybe for some it's an issue of tradition but it's really a different game which is why many train in both. Gi teaches you grips which work just the same for most articles of clothing and no-gi teaches you how to work without the grips... for those manly sweaty beach tussles with muscley men.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no offense meant to an that study this style but I just did a Yahoo search and found this link:
Kangchungdo.com
the statement that he was the greatest martial artiest in and of itself would turn me away from studying the art.
I know the man has passed away but how big of an ego do you need to wear Grand Master on your belt.
Lets see an oreintal sounding name of the system and a karate gi HHHMMMM

as I said no disrespect to the man or his students just a few things that would turn me away

Yeah, that sounds like to me the internet MA school. I offer no disrespect either, but seems there is no credence attributed to this style then?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe for some it's an issue of tradition but it's really a different game which is why many train in both. Gi teaches you grips which work just the same for most articles of clothing and no-gi teaches you how to work without the grips... for those manly sweaty beach tussles with muscley men.

Oh okay. I thought it was just a preference of style (clothing) with the unique properties that comes with it. So there there are intended uses for the technique, rather than just going with it. Thanks for the post, very interesting.

Latest Discussions