Kali Escrima or Krav Maga?

OCman44

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heya everyone,

Its been awhile since I last posted but Ive still been researching which self defense art to take. I recently stumbled upon Krav Maga which I heard is a great self defense program.

Im not asking which is best because they are all good in their own unique ways but of the two which would be better for more realistic self defense situations?

Ive got a couple great schools nearby for both. For kali Ive got Inosanto Academy and OC kickboxing(Inosanto Kali)
As for Krav Ive gotta look into where its at nearby but I do know there are some places.

I love Kali because of its fluidity and nature of training with weapons and moving to empty hand. Ive been told that Kali is amazing in real life situations but Im just hoping to get some more responses on that from you guys - the community. I learned about Kali from the Bourne movies. I know its a little far fetched in the movies but how it looked was awesome and got me into researching it more. Question though - Someone that trains in Kali for years(im assuming Bournes character did for years as well), Could someone be somewhat as effective as he was? Im not saying the stuff he did was realistic but how effective he was at rendering his opponents unconscious. Could that be possible with someone whos trained in Kali for years?

Krav more looks sorta choppy in its techniques.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Inosanto Academy is an incredible thing to have nearby--I'd surely consider it! The FMAs do develop useful skills relatively quickly.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
No question, if you're that close to the Inosanto Academy, take the opportunity to train there.

David

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heya everyone,

Its been awhile since I last posted but Ive still been researching which self defense art to take. I recently stumbled upon Krav Maga which I heard is a great self defense program.

Im not asking which is best because they are all good in their own unique ways but of the two which would be better for more realistic self defense situations?

Ive got a couple great schools nearby for both. For kali Ive got Inosanto Academy and OC kickboxing(Inosanto Kali)
As for Krav Ive gotta look into where its at nearby but I do know there are some places.

I love Kali because of its fluidity and nature of training with weapons and moving to empty hand. Ive been told that Kali is amazing in real life situations but Im just hoping to get some more responses on that from you guys - the community. I learned about Kali from the Bourne movies. I know its a little far fetched in the movies but how it looked was awesome and got me into researching it more. Question though - Someone that trains in Kali for years(im assuming Bournes character did for years as well), Could someone be somewhat as effective as he was? Im not saying the stuff he did was realistic but how effective he was at rendering his opponents unconscious. Could that be possible with someone whos trained in Kali for years?

Krav more looks sorta choppy in its techniques.

You're within driving distance to the Inosanto Academy??? Go...as quickly as you can!! :) You would be training with a huge wealth of knowledge. As for the effectivness....yes, its very effective. You will most likely be privy to a huge assortment of arts to train in.

Krav Maga is great as well. But, IMHO, if you had to pick only 1, I'd go with the Kali.

Mike

Natty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
take the Kali if you have the opportunity. I take Krav Maga myself, but, I would take the Kali if I had the choice. The good thing about Krav Maga is the self defense techniques. I take Tae Kwon Do as well and when I'm sparring, doing both arts has helped me to improve my combinations. Good luck in what you decide to take.

akatrk

White Belt
Reaction score
I like kali as well, but is this a fair question to ask in the Filipino martial arts forum? I don't know if the question has been asked in the Krav Maga forum and if it hasn't, why not ask the same over there.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
to learn as it incorporates natural body movements. So even the slowest, least aptitude among us can get something out of it that will work if attacked. The bad thing about krav is that some movements are really more effective than what krav teaches but more difficult to learn. I have to admit my bias, I had a bad experience with a krav maga teacher, but at the same time I did get something out of my training. I'm sure not all krav teachers are as immature as that one, I will not mention his name, but if your in Seattle beware!

I don't know anything about kali/escrima or the insanto academy except the little I picked up from watching the "Human Weapon" episode, so I can't help you there. I would recommend checking them both out and see what feels more comfortable to you, if the teacher is someone you think will be a good one, what the attitude of the teacher and his students is.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Krav Maga you would learn SD techs based on gross motor movements. The training programs are designed to get your adrenaline pumping, simulating a real life situation in which you would likely defend yourself. But because of the fact that it's gross motor versus fine motor skills you see in other MAs, it will appear less fluid. That can be a point to consider if you are looking for something prettier.

On Level One and Two I have been learning mostly how to defend myself against a variety of attack scenarios against armed and unarmed attackers (disarming techs). Starting I believe in Level Three we will learn more about actually fighting with weapons (and my teacher has also promised upcoming seminars on the use of kubitons). So you will get weapons training with KM if you stick with it past the beginners' levels.

OP
O

OCman44

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
take the Kali if you have the opportunity. I take Krav Maga myself, but, I would take the Kali if I had the choice. The good thing about Krav Maga is the self defense techniques. I take Tae Kwon Do as well and when I'm sparring, doing both arts has helped me to improve my combinations. Good luck in what you decide to take.

Why would you take kali instead? And also, you mention that the good thing about Krav Maga is the self defense techniques. What do you mean by that and how is it different from Kali's?

From what I've learned it seems that Krav is labled as a real life self defense type of MA. Is Kali labled as something similar or is it not? I've been told by some ppl who've practiced Kali for many yrs that Kali is an actual "Fighting system" meaning that Kali teaches you to literally fight(real life defense) where other MA's arent really a fighting system but more so other stuff. Is this true?

Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it coming if you could! its greatly appreciated!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like kali as well, but is this a fair question to ask in the Filipino martial arts forum? I don't know if the question has been asked in the Krav Maga forum and if it hasn't, why not ask the same over there.

Fair enough. But part of the reasoning here isn't so much Kali vs. KM as much as it is the opportunity to study at a living legend's school!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Krav Maga or Kali,Arnis, Eskrima. Both are good choices for self defense. Krav Maga actually may give you a quicker upside in learning practical empty hand skills. It is also aggressive which is a plus. While Arnis,Kali, Eskrima would definitely give you an upside with tool based skills initially. I think in the end though that Kali is broader and therefore gives the practitioner more things to learn over time. That of course always depends on the depth of the instructor teaching it.

Finding a good instructor is what is important! Dan Inosanto is very good and is also very open minded. That presents a student with an enormous amount of learning opportunities. Judging by where you are at you also will have some Krav instructors. Your best bet is to check out several places and see where you fit in best and would enjoy training the most.

As to the Bourne character and someone being able to replicate what he does. Well that is a movie after all and only a movie. The actor in it acted the fight scenes and well what happened there is for film. Best to leave the acting for the actors and pursue real training for the real world.
icon6.gif
(they do not cross realities)

OP
O

OCman44

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga or Kali,Arnis, Eskrima. Both are good choices for self defense. Krav Maga actually may give you a quicker upside in learning practical empty hand skills. It is also aggressive which is a plus. While Arnis,Kali, Eskrima would definitely give you an upside with tool based skills initially. I think in the end though that Kali is broader and therefore gives the practitioner more things to learn over time. That of course always depends on the depth of the instructor teaching it.

Finding a good instructor is what is important! Dan Inosanto is very good and is also very open minded. That presents a student with an enormous amount of learning opportunities. Judging by where you are at you also will have some Krav instructors. Your best bet is to check out several places and see where you fit in best and would enjoy training the most.

As to the Bourne character and someone being able to replicate what he does. Well that is a movie after all and only a movie. The actor in it acted the fight scenes and well what happened there is for film. Best to leave the acting for the actors and pursue real training for the real world.
icon6.gif
(they do not cross realities)

Thanks for the info!

As to the instructors. Im closer to OC kickboxing which the head instructor there and techniques are based off the Inosanto/Lacoste systems. Though I'd much rather goto the Inosanto Academy, its about a 30-45 min drive(even though it would probably be well worth it).

As for the systems, You say Krav is quicker to learn but Kali has more overall to offer and benefit from? I honestly like how Kali looks, I love the Sumbrada drill(it looks fun), I love the background of Kali and its origins. I've researched Kali and the Filipino Martial arts more so than I have Krav but Im just wondering how they are in comparison to real life self defense and you've guys have all given me wonderful information.

As for the Bourne character. Im not asking if someone who's been a practitioner for yrs can replicate what he does exactly, Im more so asking if someone has practiced Kali for yrs(which I intend on doing) can they be somewhat as similarly effective at self defense as he was? Like I said I know the scenes were far fetched and staged but the effectiveness of his Kali to take out his attackers is what Im asking.

Im also wondering how Kali is vs Wild swingers in fights. It seems like a lot of fights, if not most are Wild swingers. Anyone have any info on that?

Thanks everyone

OP
O

OCman44

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The FMA's can be really, really effective if the practitioner puts in the time required and has a mind set to back it up.

Thanks for this tibit!

Once I start training in FMA's I intend on practicing it as much as possible bearing that funds persist. I wan't to do as much as I can for as long as I can :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this tibit!

Once I start training in FMA's I intend on practicing it as much as possible bearing that funds persist. I wan't to do as much as I can for as long as I can :)

It would be stupid to dissuade you from training at a great location like the Inosanto Academy, but just be aware that there are other options out there. LA has lots FMA instructors.

OP
O

OCman44

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would be stupid to dissuade you from training at a great location like the Inosanto Academy, but just be aware that there are other options out there. LA has lots FMA instructors.

Well to be honest Im in Orange county so LA is sort of a drive for me. As much as Id love to goto LA for FMA training I just dont know if I can afford that drive right now. But trust me when I say I would if I could afford it :)

As it stands now, Its between Inosanto Academy (Which is about 30min drive) or OC kickboxing which trains in the Inosanto/Lacoste Kali-Escrima-Silat system (Which is about a 10-15min drive)

Havnt heard any of you mention anything about OC kickboxing being good or bad. You guys not know much about it? Like I said it goes off the Inosanto/Lacoste System in which the head instructor for their kali program was trained by Mr. Inosanto.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, there are lost of great instructors teaching lots of FMA variants out there!

Natty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why would you take kali instead? And also, you mention that the good thing about Krav Maga is the self defense techniques. What do you mean by that and how is it different from Kali's?

From what I've learned it seems that Krav is labled as a real life self defense type of MA. Is Kali labled as something similar or is it not? I've been told by some ppl who've practiced Kali for many yrs that Kali is an actual "Fighting system" meaning that Kali teaches you to literally fight(real life defense) where other MA's arent really a fighting system but more so other stuff. Is this true?

Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it coming if you could! its greatly appreciated!

I would take the Kali because I hear the South Eastern Martial Arts are more disciplined when it comes to training. Krav is also, but I would check both out to see what each school offers. I'm very dedicated to overall physical fitness of the body. Schools have to teach good exercise for all parts of the body and should guide students in the right direction when it comes to diet and nutrition. I think you would get that from Kali. You won't get the stick or sword training in Krav Maga like you would in Kali. The thing you will get in both is grappling.

Krav is labeled as a life form of self defense. It was created to train the Israeli Defense Force to deal with flight or fight situations without going into a panic mode. One example, when you progress, you will do exercises to find your partner with your eyes covered. It a martial art where you are not just training the body, but, you are retraining the mind.You learn how to defend yourself if someone for example tries to choke you, pulls a gun or knife on you close range.

I don't know if Kali has self-defense exercises like that. The one that I know that does is called Systema. Systema is a form of Russian Martial Arts. Russian soliders are trained in Systema. I have heard there are some differences, but, I'm still researching it, and from what I have seen, there is not much.

I hope this helps you. Merry Christmas!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had the chance to train with Dan Inosanto, I would jump all over it. Not only is he a legend, he turns out some wonderful MAists.

Latest Discussions