Kajukenpo and AK

C

CoolKempoDude

after looking at kenpo community, i see 2 largest systems in U.S: AK and kajukenpo

i can see nearly all founders of other *systems* comes from AK or kajukenpo ROOT

if i have to choose to pick up 1 of 2, i don't really know what to choose since they are very popular in U.S

what is the different between AK and kajukenpo ???? do these systems have the similarity ????

thanks

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
from both arts having the base art of Kenpo as it was taught by Prof. William Chow. While SGM Parker continued with the development of Kenpo into what is now American Kenpo, SGM Emperado collaborated with four other individuals to combine elements of various arts to develop Kajukenbo (not po).

Here's a site that might be helpful:

http://www.kajukenbo.org/history/

Respects,
Bill Parsons

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I started my training in the kajukenbo-kenpo systems, which some call the "original" kajukenbo. After reaching blue I wound up moving to another state, and found a Parker/Tracy hybrid kenpo school. The transition was relatively easy, the general self-defense movements and technique oriented curriculum were similar. The difference between my kaju and kenpo training was that my kaju training was demonstrated "hard-style" and my kenpo training was "softer." The kaju training had greater emphasis on jujitsu style throws and locks, and as a result required more frequent practice at break-falling than occurs in my current kenpo school.

Actually, one other difference I have seen is that most kenpo punch techs are demonstrated against a lunge punch or "right step-through punch" and most kaju punch defenses are demonstrated against a right cross. Weapon defenses entries are fairly similar though the kaju systems lean more toward joint locks than striking when trying to control the weapon.

Over my (few) years in the arts I have had the opportunity to train with various lineages of both systems and find that I can fit in with either group with little problem.

Lamont

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by bdparsons
from both arts having the base art of Kenpo as it was taught by Prof. William Chow. While SGM Parker continued with the development of Kenpo into what is now American Kenpo, SGM Emperado collaborated with four other individuals to combine elements of various arts to develop Kajukenbo (not po).

Here's a site that might be helpful:

http://www.kajukenbo.org/history/

Respects,
Bill Parsons

thank you for pointing "bo".

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by lhommedieu
Don't have any experience with AK.

Kajukenbo is characterised by its hard training method.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Kajukenbo

you guys still wear protective gear during training session ????

is your training still *brutal* or no more ????

OP
S

Shiatsu

I would say it depends on the school. At my Kajukenbo school we have the students that pay the bills, you know the ones that come and go, and the rest of us a small group that get together on saturdays and bang. I would say though, we are definately not a patty cake school. It depends on which ones you go to. Some of the kaju schools such as Sigung Harpers are still hardcore.:asian:

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Shiatsu
I would say it depends on the school. At my Kajukenbo school we have the students that pay the bills, you know the ones that come and go, and the rest of us a small group that get together on saturdays and bang. I would say though, we are definately not a patty cake school. It depends on which ones you go to. Some of the kaju schools such as Sigung Harpers are still hardcore.:asian:

some of AK schools train like this ??? (this question for AK boys)

shiatsu,

that is the way you PRACTICE and TEST for belt ????

you control your emotion during training session or everything goes???

hardcore schools are MAINLY in N. california ??????

OP
S

Shiatsu

We control our emotion. Beginner belts don't workout on our saturday session, unless they have prior experiance.

We test hard core perse from green on up. Basically in the schools I have been to. You won't be a kajukenbo BB if you can't dish or take a beating.

When we get BB from more traditional styles, even some kenpo styles, they usually think we are crazy. But we like it that way.

Northern Cali, mainly the bay area has a ton of Kaju schools and GM's in the area, I believe there are more there than in Hawaii.

Are you looking for a school?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by CoolKempoDude
Qhat is the different between AK and kajukenpo ???? do these systems have similarity ????

Differences always can be traced back to the perspective founders of a specific lineage.

In KaJuKenbo - most follow some structure as described by A. Emperado.

In American Kenpo - most follow some structure as described by Ed Parker.

As usual there are many similarities but the differences lie in the different philosophies that the founders developed or perscribed.

The type of Training be it hard or softer... lies with the individual instructors. I know of several examples of Both methods, in Both Systems.
It all depends on who you came up under.

:asian:

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

1-different philosophies that the founders developed or perscribed.

2- I know of several examples of Both methods, in Both Systems.
It all depends on who you came up under.

1- Main different philosophies, pls???

2- a few examples would be nice. Thanks

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Shiatsu,

i don't look for school.

i just wonder why these 2 systems are so popular in U.S. They must have something good to offer. I try to understand them.

you guys use bare nuckles and punch your Partner during the test????

OP
S

Shiatsu

Ya we do during the test. You can't have blackbelt with a false sense of security, especially one that believes that they are so good, that they will never get hit. The Kung fu elements such as trapping and the forms in our style are what you consider soft, however we are a hard style. I think the reason we are popular is because of that. We are definately popular wth police officers. I know AK is too.

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Shiatsu
Ya we do during the test. You can't have blackbelt with a false sense of security, especially one that believes that they are so good, that they will never get hit. The Kung fu elements such as trapping and the forms in our style are what you consider soft, however we are a hard style. I think the reason we are popular is because of that. We are definately popular wth police officers. I know AK is too.

seem like you have good stuff from BOTH worlds;)

1 person against another person or 1 against 3 or more ???

punch, kick, everything goes ?????

you guys must have good explaination why your arm or leg or body has bruise when asked ????

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1- Main different philosophies, pls???

I can't comment in depth on the Kajukenbo system, since I haven't studied it in depth, only from years of talking/discussing with friends like Gary Forbach and Eric Lee and of course my personal experiences at tournaments or seminars.

In American Kenpo, Ed Parker took a deep scientific approach to organizing and developing an "outline" for the main areas of our art, such as the "analytical study of motion", 3 - points of view, 3 divisions of the art, web of knowledge, checking concepts, etc., etc., although there ARE many similarities, some clear differences in structure are evident as well. Not saying one is better just organized differently. Both have many excellent practitioners.

2- a few examples would be nice. Thanks

What I was referring to here was that in both Systems there are examples of both instruction methods, those that train softly or more intellectual, and those that put much more emphasis on hard physical training.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The two things that make Kajukenbo and American Kenpo so popular with Americans are:
1. They were designed in modern times to defend against modern street attacks.
2. A traditional martial art tries to make every one fit into the art. Kajukenbo and Kenpo makes the art fit the individual.

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Eric Lee

eric lee was a student of KAJUKENBO ?????
is he still teaching KAJUKENBO????

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mr. Bishop's post.

Those that come from the Chow lineage tend to gravitate towards less traditional paths, which can be attractive to Americans.

If you look at the history of "Americanized" Kenpo, or modern Kenpo, you will find it sprung from Hawaii before it became a state. It was not the safest of places back then and their were quite a few tough neighborhoods. Many of the Kenpoists back then trained hard and fought hard, and I don't mean in a tournament. These people learned quite early that using what works is much more important than any need to follow tradition just for tradition's sake.

Even though there a differences, I feel we have more in common then not.

Other Modern, Americanized or Westernized Kenpo systems include.

Shaolin Kenpo (Castro)
Shaolin Kempo (Villari)
Cerio Kenpo
Karazenpo (sp?)
Tracy Kenpo
Chinese Kenpo
Karaho Kempo (Chow)
Dragon Kenpo

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
eric lee was a student of KAJUKENBO ?????
is he still teaching KAJUKENBO????

Eric trained under Al Dacoscos with a hybrid .. wonhopkuendo

I don't know what he is doing currently other than movies and seminars.....

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by John Bishop

A traditional martial art tries to make every one fit into the art. Kajukenbo and Kenpo makes the art fit the individual.

i see that in *old timer* training and philosophy. It is an excellent

Latest Discussions