Kajukenbo training at college

• Thread starter Deleted member 34973
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34973

I decided to go back to school this fall, and one of the courses I have to take is a P.E. course. One of the courses was a Kajukenbo class and I decided to sign up for it. I thought it would be interesting to check out another system. I have done some research and of course there many varying opinions. So, I thought I would check and see if anyone has direct experience with this system?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not a Kajukenbo student, but have done seminars with Phil Gelinas((9th degree) and his student John Lianos (6th degree). They are of the Emperado lineage, it is hard core training. Coming from a judo/jiu jitsu background, I liked the blending of various arts to make Kajukenbo. Check out the class, could be great!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of my favorite Fight Quest episodes was the kajukenbo episode. I saw it when I was looking to restart MA training and looked up a local kajunenbo school because of the video. Unfortunately, the school I visited wasn’t anything like the episode. Say it ain’t so - tv and reality weren’t the same thing :)

Like everything else, it’s going to be who’s teaching it and how, and who you’ll train alongside.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really like Kajukenbo, maybe because it reminds me so much of American karate. I've trained with a bunch of Kajukenbo guys out here over the years. My buddy, Paul, is a Kajukenbo guy. He's Chuck Norris's long time bodyguard when Chuck visits the Islands.

I like the people, I like the way they punch, kick and fight.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was training in Kajukenbo, before I moved to a different state. I was only in that club for 6 or 7 months, so I am nowhere near qualified to tell you anything other than what a good Google search will yield EXCEPT my personal opinion which is highly favorable.

Like every art, the instructor (and his life experiences) will determine the quality and realism of the training, and I might have just been fortunate enough to have an excellent instructor, but - after I moved, the first thing I did was seek out another branch of Hawaiian Kempo (what actually Kaj is).

If you have an opportunity to train Kaj, under a qualified and legit instructor, do not pass it up. You'll put "tools" in yer box that you keep forever :)

Latest Discussions