Kajukenbo Forms

V

vincefuess

A few years back I was competing in my first tournament as a black belt in the Open Kenpo Forms division. When we lined up, I noticed I was the only guy competing who wasn't at least a 3rd degree (real confidence builder)! Luckily I went first, so I was finished as soon as I started... alas I am straying...

It came down to a tie-breaker, resulting in three tied decisions on three different forms by these two Kajukenbo stylists before the judges met to make a decision. These guys blew me away. It was great to see forms from an art I have little exposure to, performed by artists of that caliber at that intensity, and no less than five different forms performed to boot (as best I could tell)!

My question is, where were these forms originated from? They seemed harder and more linear than American Kenpo forms- but seemed to be also highly complex in their content. I didn't recognize them from traditional Okinawan/ Japanese arts, though they were performed with that type of intensity- hard, gi popping power strikes delivered to kill. I also saw elements of the Chinese arts in the transitions, flowing and liquid- more so than in the forms of the aforementioned arts.

It was worth coming in last place in that division to sit that close and watch martial artists performing the way those guys did.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had a similar experience. I saw this art at an open tournament and was quite impressed.

Here are some links..

History
(See also required reading at bottom of page)

and a different group of the same art...Noble System

OP
V

vincefuess

Sifu James Cox was one of the competitors I saw at that event- I recognise him from the pics, and the gi patch. I don't remember who eventually got first place, but watching these guys compete was awesome.

OP
S

Shiatsu

Sifu James Cox is my instructor! He is a great amn and awesome martial artist. He is one of the best self defense/fighters I have ever seen.:asian:

OP
V

vincefuess

You guys keep up the good work out there. The next time I am in the area, I will definitley stop by and introduce myself. Sifu Cox was inspirational to watch.

OP
S

Shiatsu

Everyone is welcome at our school. It is a full time school. So someone should always be there. Big and nice facilities. You'll enjoy it.

OP
K

Karazenpo

Vince, Kajukenbo, 'the orignal kenpo karate method' is an extremely powerful art. It has it's soft techniques but if you had to classify it, it would be hard style karate! I would say that's probably what you saw.