Kajukenbo - Black Belt Home Study Course

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean I took it for years and didn't have to? Damn! LOL. I have heard the name of Andrew torok but don't know where. I think it's a joke! Just another way for someone to make money.
You CAN'T watch a vid and learn without someone correcting your mistakes, and then to test long distance, what the hell is that?! I've put years of blood,sweat, and tears into this art and it seems like a slap in the face. No lineage back to Sijo?
Maybe Prof Bishop or Danjo can shed some light on this Torok guy. Just can't place where I've seen or heard the name.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's Torok....

http://www.kikarate.com/index.htm?id=7784

Just another person milking the quick fix networking. Anyone who sells this stuff is just making their money and anyone buying it is either stupid or naive or have illegitimate intentions. I have posted a similar thread in the general MA forum. There's loads of these courses around now and you can learn any art via DVD, get a licence and instructor certificate for less than £200

Madness

Todd Reiner

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tim Rockford has done this before and backed off. Now here he is again. No respect for the art and the Kaju Ohana.

Torok was brought into Kajukenbo very recently. He was originally KajukenPo. There is some lineage to Sijo but others are better at me at explaining things.

This just pisses me off. Thank you to those that discovered this. I hope my seniors take care of business. If Rockford was in my house this woulda been taken care of a long long time ago.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, back in the old days you would go to their school and either shut it down, or bust up the instructor and then shut it down. Does he think he can get this by without everybody finding out? We are ohana and ohana talks to each other. I don't know how long this crap has been out, but you cannot learn kaju by a dvd. I guess there's a sucker born every minute!

But, if anyone knows where I can get a home study course on brain surgery I've always wanted to try that!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This guy pisses me off. All I can say is it's not Kajukenbo. If he doesn't trace it back to Sijo, then it ain't Kaju. It's like saying that you have pork that doesn't trace itself back to pigs.

Todd Reiner

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This guy pisses me off. All I can say is it's not Kajukenbo. If he doesn't trace it back to Sijo, then it ain't Kaju. It's like saying that you have pork that doesn't trace itself back to pigs.

Wow Dan don't beat around the bush, tell the world how you really feel. Is there such a thing as imitation pork? So, this KajukenPo does not go back to Sijo? Not that it makes any difference on this issue but I'm curious. Either way this is BS. Or um PS...sorry gotta keep the pig/pork going.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are many many courses like this available now. Questionable lineages and down-right made up grades. Check this guy out. He hands out Black Belts and Instructor Certificates in.....

..........MMA:xtrmshock

http://www.immaa.net/

I emailed the guy, as he's selling his courses on ebay, and asked what the insurance policies are like. I also asked what requirements one needs to be a 'full instructor' with the association. Basically, it's 'assumed' the student will learn from the dvds and then open a school.
Unreal!
Literally, any art you want to learn, you can. JKD, Kenpo, Arnis, JuJutsu, Aikido.......

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well his lineage does not go back to Sijo. End of story. I'm guessing his tree is from some midwest farm somewhere and traces right back to the middle of the field with a bunch of mushrooms growing around it!
Everyone involved in the Kaju sys can trace their roots back to .......Sijo!
So to say there's no direct lineage is absurd.

And Dan, do you need a group hug? Just let it out! LOL

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's Torok....

http://www.kikarate.com/index.htm?id=7784

Just another person milking the quick fix networking. Anyone who sells this stuff is just making their money and anyone buying it is either stupid or naive or have illegitimate intentions. I have posted a similar thread in the general MA forum. There's loads of these courses around now and you can learn any art via DVD, get a licence and instructor certificate for less than £200

Madness

I am not sure, people mad that he made a dvd or is selling the ranks? I understand the selling the rank thing, but many people sell dvd's regarding Kaju - http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kajukenbo_products.aspx

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be the selling of rank that is causing the consternation. We don't go in for that.

Thanks Danjo, I know you guys dont go for the selling rank thing, but I wasnt sure because there was a lot of bashing about having and learning some things from videos.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not sure, people mad that he made a dvd or is selling the ranks? I understand the selling the rank thing, but many people sell dvd's regarding Kaju - http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kajukenbo_products.aspx

Those DVD's actually feature Sijo in them and were approved by him. They are to document the 'original method' of Kajukenbo. The other part of it is, they are to be a guide to formal students of the art to help refresh and help them to see other details that they might have missed in class.

Knowing of Prof. Bishop's reputation and love of the art, he would NEVER imply or assert that these dvd's are anything but that, and if you want to learn kajukenbo then the only way is to find a certified instructor and learn it in person.

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score

Yes, as Danjo said, it's all about the certification. My comment was to show the progression, from watching the dvd, one then obtains their BB and instructors cert. In most cases (even, in all cases) they all come in the same bundle. You get your certificates etc before you've even inserted the DVD into the player!

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score

You're right, but none of those sell rank with it. All of those are by people whose rank and lineage can be back tracked to Sijo. The link you gave is for Prof Bishop, whose rank and tree I know, GM Abad,Gm Forbach, all have vids but are to be used in conjunction with actual class participation. No where does any legit Kaju practitioner say buy my vids and open your own school. In Kaju you earn your belt with sweat, bloody noses, fat lips, bruised ribs, and black eyes. All that goes into your belt.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many many courses like this available now. Questionable lineages and down-right made up grades. Check this guy out. He hands out Black Belts and Instructor Certificates in.....

..........MMA:xtrmshock

http://www.immaa.net/

I emailed the guy, as he's selling his courses on ebay, and asked what the insurance policies are like. I also asked what requirements one needs to be a 'full instructor' with the association. Basically, it's 'assumed' the student will learn from the dvds and then open a school.
Unreal!
Literally, any art you want to learn, you can. JKD, Kenpo, Arnis, JuJutsu, Aikido.......

There's a local instructor in my area who has recently started giving out belt ranking in MMA, including black belt and instructor ranking.

Making money off of martial arts isn't anything new, it's been going on for hundreds, if not thousands of years. I don't even object to it, as long as it's a valuntary transaction based on percieved value free of fraud. I'm not sure this kind of thing fits those parameters. But ulimately, customers that want high quality instruction from knowledgable instructors will find it, and those that want this will find it as well.

Caveat Emptor.

-Rob

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the only real question is, is the guy a real kajukenbo BB?

if not, then sue him for false advertising.

if he is, then tell the ksdi BOA and let them figure it out. Man, GM Kingi will FLIP OUT when he hears this one....

Spacedcrane

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll glady spar with anybody who just buys their degrees lol. Unless you have a sensei, you won't learn the material right.

I laughed when I saw the testing page on immaa.com though.

"[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. "Honorary Rank" We issue a rank certificate with your video program which better assist those who may not have either a partner to train with or do not have the means of video taping themselves for testing purposes. We ask that a student going this route to be sincere and honest with themselves, a student is only cheating themselves by claiming a rank they do not have knowledge in.
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
2. "Verified or Certified Rank" A student may video test or test in person to receive actual rank for the training they have completed. Upon passing the test, the student will receive a "Verified Rank" from the IMMAA. With t
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]his method we will be able to fully validate your techniques and credentials and they will be accepted world-wide. This is the best way to receive "Certified Instructor" status from IMMAA.

Flat Fees:
The following fees include the shipping cost of the certificate.

Honorary Certificate: $25.00

Video Test & Verified Certificate: $50.00

Dan Rank Registration or Promotion: $75.00"
[/FONT]

Latest Discussions