Just wondering.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am looking around on the fourm at old fourms and I thought I would post something new. Since I join the fourm to learn something that may not be taught at my school. Maybe this is new but may not be.

The question of the day is about Po Eun.

1. What is the two punches (second movement) to the sky is for?

2. Also after the reverse elbow strike there is a punch with the opposite hand placed on the striking arm (elbow). Why is that hand there.

Just a lil curious.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you provide a video with the EXACT same technique (way of moving. like how the chambering is different depending on the org)? I like trying to interpret forms. Its better with Karate, but it works for TKD as well with some imagination.

EDIT: Didnt mean to make it sound like you dont know what a technique is. But i cant really word it any differently - Its just that i specifically need the same means to an end you have in mind. I could guess from end results, but that only really works on things torn out of karate and pasted back into tkd with different chambering and stuff.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am looking around on the fourm at old fourms and I thought I would post something new. Since I join the fourm to learn something that may not be taught at my school. Maybe this is new but may not be.

The question of the day is about Po Eun.

1. What is the two punches (second movement) to the sky is for?

2. Also after the reverse elbow strike there is a punch with the opposite hand placed on the striking arm (elbow). Why is that hand there.

Just a lil curious.
Text examples. 1. Early Edition move # 2 & 20 was Upward punch, Later editions - No application, simply lifting fists. 2. Moves 10 & 28 no stated purpose for palm on top of elbow. Now, for non text examples, what your mind can concieve it can achieve. Look to prior and following move applications for possible reasons. Look to similar moves for possible reasons. One example is that for moves where the opposite hand is not brought to the most common "On Hip " position is that they are extreemely close range techniques and having the hand somewhere else is more suitable for defense and follow up. There are texts that address non traditional applications. I can reccomend some if you are interested.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) The second movement is an uppercut to underneath the chin where the other hand is in a guarding position, the opposite leg comes up to stork stance to either avoid a leg kick or to chamber for the low side kick.

2) This can have many interpretations. a) It can be simply to keep the other hand close to the elbow for the next elbow strike. b) It can be a defence against a grab to the upper arm where the hand on the defenders elbow pushes the attackers forearm up so that the punch can sneak underneath. c) Or it can be to trap the attackers arm between your two arms. Or d) to support the elbow during the punch. I think b) is the most likely.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) The second movement is an uppercut to underneath the chin where the other hand is in a guarding position, the opposite leg comes up to stork stance to either avoid a leg kick or to chamber for the low side kick.

FWIW the proper terminology is one-leg stance. It is the prepatory position for the pressing kick which follows.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Potato, potaato.

No, Potato and Potaato is the same thing . Proper terminology denotes specifics of the technique and application. Standing on one leg could be Bending ready Stance A or B , or One leg stance. Each is a prepatory stance for a different technique, and the pressing kick is used for a particular target / application. The "Low side kick" is a non specific term since there could be a low side: Piercing, Pushing, thrusting, or Checking kicks all having different uses and all different than the pressing kick.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stork Stance:

stork-test.jpg

301_stork_stance_rear_deltoid_2.jpg

stork-stand-with-curl.jpg

Bending Ready Stance:
l.jpg

4-01.JPG

jmbr.jpg

One Leg Stance:
waebalsogileftfront.jpg

This is why id like a video. Then ill answer the question :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bleh. Im bored, here. Have theoretical unofficial unendorsed barely (all of thrice) tested theory.

Based on the chambering and stuff from this video

---

Po Eun Sequence
For the benefit of... something*

---

Back Elbow Strike (R) >
Punch With Hand On Elbow (R) >
Back Elbow Strike (L) >
That Back Stance Off To The Side I Forget The Name Of (Sorry) (L) >
Step Into That Cross Legged Stance With Both Hands Down And Clasped (R)(I havent done theory in a while. You know what i mean anyway) >
And then a step into that high low back stance guard (IM SORRY)

My Theory:
Grab Parallel* Shoulder + Place Free Hand On Parallel Side (literally on his side) >
Pull His Shoulder In, Across, And Up + Grab The Back Of His Collar**** >
Pull Both Hands In Bringing Him Body To Body With You >
Pull His Shoulder Back Further, Pull His Collar Toward Your Opposite Hip >
Turn Your Body To The Side** And Toss Him Onto His Back***

So, simple version:
Grab parallel shoulder >
Grab back of collar/opposite shoulder from behind >
Pull him in body to body >
Step to your side and toss him to the ground

Lifting and dragging is employed, and the leverage comes from putting him on his heels and moving right next to him

---

NOTE:
Several moves come before this. In MY opinion, the double forearm block ends a sequence preceding this one, and arent a part of the sequence.
*Parallel means right to left, or left to right. So the parallel shoulder means that the right hand grabs the left shoulder, etc.
**Your right, in this case.
***You step across with your left leg in front of your right leg in order to step with the throw. Notice that you first lifted him, then pulled him down.
I tried this with a partner a few hours ago. Its actually pretty decent use of leverage, if you can get him body to body and lift him on his heels.
This is basically the last three moves. Pull him up, turn your body, step to the side, toss him down, and push him the rest of the way.
****The opposite shoulder (right hand goes behind head and grabs left shoulder) works too, but the leverage isnt quite as profound.

---

*I start all my theory stuff with that line. Its kinda a bit of fun i like to poke at it, because even if what i describe works, its not something ive come up with because i want to to explain the intended purpose. Its just the function *i* see in it. Sometimes people like them. I just think its kinda fun to see what i can get out of stuff.

So basically, the arm is on your elbow because its pulling their shoulder down towards your hip, according to me. Who thinks Po Eun is a bunch of takedowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is so much miss information published and unpublished realted to all stances and many techniques due to death of many masters or restriction of teaching by ocupation ect. Teaching so that it was only for deciple or realitive was meant to be not decerned by the public watching or reading for that matter so myths little stories realted to stances and technique were invented even deliberate miss information and improper training to hide knowledge.

Crain stance very typical or Stork well meaning people even notable Masters explaining the well one day we watched a Crane feeding and that he always stood that way before he struck and retireved a fish? Nice and of course what are you going to say when you are young and your master says such a thing? But its all Bull has nothing to do with that!!!!!!!!! the stance is a reminder of what you ar to do to the other person it is call Mapping meaning reminding you of how your are going to strike a PP point on the opposing person's leg at one of 4 point to the knee assendiing or decending in an X pattern above or below the knee at a 45 degree angle period. Much knowlege is lost in 60 years and what is left is the Myth and miss information.

And I don't care about all the politics and argument pro con its what works in appication that counts. And just because some Asian posses in a video official picture, book, DVD what ever I have seen them do some of the worst stuff ever seen so blind leading the blind those who know know including many real good Koreans and others and non Asian or non Korean has no ethic basis now the cat is out of the bag so you can waste your time your choice

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stork Stance:

stork-test.jpg
301_stork_stance_rear_deltoid_2.jpg

Bending Ready Stance:
l.jpg

4-01.JPG
jmbr.jpg

One Leg Stance:
waebalsogileftfront.jpg

This is why id like a video. Then ill answer the question :)
where is the above "One Leg Stance" From? It is not correct and is not shown in the 1965, 1972, or full encyclopedia. The support leg is not bent and the lifted knee should not be to an angle, but straight ahead. Bending ready stance A is pictured.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are 2 different names for the same thing, as in one-leg stance and stork stance.

Then what do you call Bending ready stance A? What do you call bending ready stance B? What technique is each the specified ready stance for? Further you state: "the opposite leg comes up to stork stance to either avoid a leg kick or to chamber for the low side kick." Further, the move as specified by the creator / author for this pattern is not a chamber for a low side kick irrespective if you mean side Piercing, Side Checking, Side pushing, Side thrusting, kick but for a pressing kick which has a very specific purpose. These are techniques with different applications and purpose, so how can they possibly be "the same thing"?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
RTKD, The entire martial art universe is very small. each segment smaller still. If your universe dictates stork stance and low side kick, then of course that is what you need to follow.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
where is the above "One Leg Stance" From? It is not correct and is not shown in the 1965, 1972, or full encyclopedia. The support leg is not bent and the lifted knee should not be to an angle, but straight ahead. Bending ready stance A is pictured.

I seriously cant tell if youre being serious, or if youre running off my vaguely serious jab at how vague these terms can be. I just googled them.

Either way, i neither read nor have ever spent money on reading an encyclopedia of taekwondo from ever. I have no reason nor desire to.

RTKD, The entire martial art universe is very small. each segment smaller still. If your universe dictates stork stance and low side kick, then of course that is what you need to follow.

He needs to? Im not sure about that. The system might need him to, though. And he might like the system :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I seriously cant tell if youre being serious, or if youre running off my vaguely serious jab at how vague these terms can be. I just googled them.

Either way, i neither read nor have ever spent money on reading an encyclopedia of taekwondo from ever. I have no reason nor desire to.

He needs to? Im not sure about that. The system might need him to, though. And he might like the system :)

Many disciplines have unique ways of using their terminology. Walk into a car dealer and ask for a Hummer is far different than asking for a Hummer somewhere else. The term may not be vague when applied to a particular discipline. Using it incorrectly within the discipline only shows lack of knowledge not any intellect with regard to how else you may use it. Having said that I guess you are quibbling about the "He needs to" comment. I stand by it. If you want to learn within a discipline you need to adopt that modality. Outside the discipline, do whatever the heck you want.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many disciplines have unique ways of using their terminology. Walk into a car dealer and ask for a Hummer is far different than asking for a Hummer somewhere else. The term may not be vague when applied to a particular discipline. Using it incorrectly within the discipline only shows lack of knowledge not any intellect with regard to how else you may use it. Having said that I guess you are quibbling about the "He needs to" comment. I stand by it. If you want to learn within a discipline you need to adopt that modality. Outside the discipline, do whatever the heck you want.

To the first part, thats what i was trying to say, in my own convoluted way, by displaying how just giving a name sometimes invokes many different things.

To the second part, youre not required to go there, though. Youve chosen to go there all by yourself, and youve chosen to pay attention. You dont *need* to do anything. What youre expected to do is another story.

OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
RTKDCMB

I can see that C is a good option for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Latest Discussions