Just started Karate and I have a starter question

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Moshe, I've started practicing Karate with a teacher two month ago.

I have a test on Kata Kihon in few weeks, which is pretty easy but I do not understand one thing - how do you determine the direction you turn. I will explain:

The first move in the kata is downward defense and you do it after taking a 90 degree turn from the left, why not 270 degrees from the right? I know that specifically on this move, it's pretty obvious but on the 17th move, it isn't.

Thank you,
Moshe B.
It is based on the attack the kata is designed for. Turning to the left is quicker and the block is coming from the correct direction for the attack. I believe the 17th move is purposed for another attacker.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is based on the attack the kata is designed for. Turning to the left is quicker and the block is coming from the correct direction for the attack. I believe the 17th move is purposed for another attacker.
Or you could use the “low block” as a joint lock or throw. Turning 270 degrees while you’ve got the opponent locked up with the proper technique, footwork, mechanics, etc. could be effective. If all you’re doing is low blocking a kick from someone at your right shoulder (or would it be left shoulder in this instance?), a 90 degree turn and block would be significantly quicker, more effective, and less risky; looking at it as an opponent in front of you (or pretty close to that) and forcing him off in a completely different direction makes more sense to me.

Everyone’s got an opinion. None are inherently right or wrong, except when you can’t get it to work no matter what.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The place is run by Yoel Be Harush:
יואל בן הרוש - אומנויות לחימה (use google translate). He is 6th Dan and 5 times Israeli Champion.

I study to learn how to defend my self.

Cheers, luckily I don't need Google to translate :)

The thing is you don't 'study' karate or any martial art, you 'do' it. it's not an academic subject you study in the way you do maths or geography but a very physical learning, you may know learning but martial arts is always going to be different, you can't compare it with classroom learning. Your profile says your 25 so I'm wondering why you haven't learnt any Krav Maga already for SD.
(Just as a side note my mother was taught KM in Israel at about the time of the War of Independence, she was Haganah )

D

Deleted member 34973

I am curious, how many of these Kihons do you learn, 3 or 5. I ask, because if you do, then this pattern, will be seen a lot in your system of Karate. Also, have you heard of any forms in your school called, Hein or Pinan? These forms have various names inside various systems, but the pattern is still pretty similar and the names should be able to tell you, what style you are training in, maybe.

The pattern and the turn vary between systems, but in the system I train in,

Standing in a forward stance, right foot forward, left foot back.
Take your left rear foot, circle the foot to your right behind you. Continue until your left foot is slightly past your right foot.
At this time, your upper body, (left shoulder) will be rotating towards the rear, the same direction as your left foot.
Finish the motion by completing the turn towards the right or left ( I say r/l simply because we do this at both the top and bottom of the kata) if you execute this move at the top of the I pattern then you would spin to the right. At the bottom to the left.

Then you would execute a downward Hammer strike ( or block )

*Right/Left-Direction being from the starting position

This might be similar to what you do, but I will stress the fact that there could be some differences and you should direct your questions, to your Instructor. Not to say that advice from others isn't useful, but you will want to make sure you ask the person that is directly teaching you.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your experience in Karate. I know it has helped me and it is something I value till this day.

Have a great work

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you start learning karate without knowing what style it is? I'm sorry that sounds harsh but the style is important in many ways. Knowing the history, the type of style it is informs your training, how can you train something you know nothing about?
In my experience, that's not all that uncommon. In fact, in NGA schools, it's become common practice to include that as a question on the first written test, just to make sure nobody can get past that point without paying attention to it. I've even had serious students who didn't really pay much attention to the history material I provided.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers, luckily I don't need Google to translate :)

The thing is you don't 'study' karate or any martial art, you 'do' it. it's not an academic subject you study in the way you do maths or geography but a very physical learning, you may know learning but martial arts is always going to be different, you can't compare it with classroom learning. Your profile says your 25 so I'm wondering why you haven't learnt any Krav Maga already for SD.
(Just as a side note my mother was taught KM in Israel at about the time of the War of Independence, she was Haganah )
That's being a bit pedantic, Tez. Most folks I know in MA will actually refer to "studying" an art.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Moshe, I've started practicing Karate with a teacher two month ago.

I have a test on Kata Kihon in few weeks, which is pretty easy but I do not understand one thing - how do you determine the direction you turn. I will explain:

The first move in the kata is downward defense and you do it after taking a 90 degree turn from the left, why not 270 degrees from the right? I know that specifically on this move, it's pretty obvious but on the 17th move, it isn't.

Thank you,
Moshe B.

Something just dawned on me ...if your located where I think you are then do you not have mandatory military service still ?

If you do then going by a few of the guys I've run into ummm you will get taught how to defend yourself and pretty methodically.

It might be an idea as @Tez3 suggested look into Krav as your in the home of it so to speak

Latest Discussions