Just out of curiosity

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something I have been wondering about.

How do some accounts around here with only 80-90 posts, 90% of them seeming to just be one sentence "thats cool" type posts and/or seminar announcements, wind up with rep levels that took most of us a year or more to reach? While others that are well spoken, intelligent, consistant posters with 2-3X times the number of posts arent even close? Its something Ive been wondering about for a while and figured "what the heck why not just ask?".

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
good question. Point me at a few (via PM) and I'll see if I can find you an answer.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a very prolific poster but I try to at least be "well spoken and intelligent". I will post to anything for which I mentally have a reply. A forum isn't much good unless ppl post. I am very impressed with how active this board is; much moreso than most.

I don't understand how the Respect thing works though. It isn't important to me and neither is my total post count (despite my joking about it) but I would like to know about its use and purpose. Thanks for asking, Tgace, because I was wondering the same thing.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can think of a good example of whom you mean...but I don't think it'd be polite to post names in public, either!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The member list can be sorted by reputation, there are a few users near the top with relatively low post counts.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm not sure I can think of a good example of whom you mean...but I don't think it'd be polite to post names in public, either!
Ditto. Which was why I said "PM" me. :)

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im not interested in getting anyone jammed up...Andrews suggestion is a good place to start.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not looking at jamming...I suspect a good bunch are just friends giving friends an early boost or random chatting stuff. Course, posting this thread pointed me at a problem where somehow, someones posts had been set to guest. Fixed it (royal PITA too) but I'd love to know why that happened.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL.

It's funny that the 5 folks I saw who had 5 blocks of rep and less that 100 posts all study Arnis. Funny, but perfectly understandable.

If anybody gets bent about this, I'll personally drag them behind the woodshed. %-}

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I did some spot checking, and didn't see anything of concern. If anyone has specific concerns, please PM me.

Also, if you notice an regular members suddenly showing up as "Guests" please report that thread so we can investigate.

Thanks!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have to be some pretty potent friends.

Its no big deal. Just something ive wondered about is all.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something else to bear in mind would be their tenure here. Numerous times I have handed out rep for older posts that have been sitting in the dustbin collecting cobwebs because they made good points or gave me a chuckle. Perhaps I'm not alone. In my actions, that is. It appears that I am alone in this room. Though, perhaps I'm not....

What? Who said that?

leave me alone..... :uhohh:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Something else to bear in mind would be their tenure here. Numerous times I have handed out rep for older posts that have been sitting in the dustbin collecting cobwebs because they made good points or gave me a chuckle. Perhaps I'm not alone.
I've done the same. It weirds people out if the post was a few years old.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on how the system works (time here + activity + rep) if someone, say me, were to 'rep' you, it'll count for more than if a newbie did. I've rarely used the system as of late, but have given a boost to some new members here n there. I figure the old-timers don't need my help. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always give new users a bump up (unless I'm out of 'power' for the day). It's part of welcoming them here!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The question was regarding a small number of persons who seemed to be gaining a disproportionate benefit though. Youd have to be pretty lucky (or well known to the "heavy hitters") to reach 5-6 boxes on 80-100 posts.....IMO only.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see your point, there are some people there with quite low post counts and some serious green action going on...wow..they must have been making some damn good points to get so green so fast!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I see your point, there are some people there with quite low post counts and some serious green action going on...wow..they must have been making some damn good points to get so green so fast!
yah.. they're like really hardcore wise people like confucious or confuse-us whatever his name was!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least I know I wasnt hallucinating. ;)

This time....

Latest Discussions