Just having a look at the no holds barred days of MMA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There was basically every dirty move in the books in this one. From neck cranks to the famous chin in eye finish.

I really need to bail one of these guys up and ask if that rule set changes the dynamic of MMA.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, the grandfather of gnp felt robbed when the banning of headbutt ruleset became official.
And royce lost his trademark of kidney kick in guard.
What still need to review in current ruleset in my opinion are the 12 to 6 elbow ban, back of the head becomes legal if it touch the ear, vertical slam, open palm fingers, etc.
So ruleset still evolving, just hoping it's not towards 'pussyfying' the sport, but toward the realness while still considering safety of the fighter.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
pretty sure you can kick to the body on the deck. So kidney kicks should still be allowed.

My guess is the other guy will pass guard and return the favor with elbows it you got too carried away trying it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pretty sure you can kick to the body on the deck. So kidney kicks should still be allowed.

My guess is the other guy will pass guard and return the favor with elbows it you got too carried away trying it.
Current UFC rules actually ban the kidney kick. I’m not a fan of that rule.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, the grandfather of gnp felt robbed when the banning of headbutt ruleset became official.
And royce lost his trademark of kidney kick in guard.
What still need to review in current ruleset in my opinion are the 12 to 6 elbow ban, back of the head becomes legal if it touch the ear, vertical slam, open palm fingers, etc.
So ruleset still evolving, just hoping it's not towards 'pussyfying' the sport, but toward the realness while still considering safety of the fighter.

The level of barbarity and injury can't be allowed to continue in anything that thinks of its self as a civilised society, which may well effect it's populariy, which is mostly based on paying spectators with blood lust.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes the kick to the kidney from guard is now by ABC unified rules being ruled as legal, but before 2017, it was banned.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The level of barbarity and injury can't be allowed to continue in anything that thinks of its self as a civilised society, which may well effect it's populariy, which is mostly based on paying spectators with blood lust.
But if we look to fighter safety, there was an article in mma websites about fighter safety, that actually protective gears only worsen the safety.
Like gloves actually protecting the hand but punish the head more, since fighter can give full force to their punch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA must be a totally accepted sport now people are talking about 'the good old days'. :D

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shoot, forget all this sport crap and the ring. Let's follow people around on the streets with cameras and film the real deal!

Oh wait, we have that already. It's called YouTube.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if we look to fighter safety, there was an article in mma websites about fighter safety, that actually protective gears only worsen the safety.
Like gloves actually protecting the hand but punish the head more, since fighter can give full force to their punch.

I've said in here that being hit with 16ounce gloves is worse than beING hit with baret knuckles, to have everyone disagree with me, so yes, heavier gloves might not help, but whilst people are being knees in the face or kicked in the kidneys oR pummeled whilst they are helpless on the floor it's a moot point

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd say it has changed, if the technical level of fighters have dropped.

The skill pool appears deeper than every, skills learnt in the current rule set could be carried over to the nhb ruleset, the key components are still valid: timing, accuracy, fitness, power delivery.

Some rules I can understand as to why people think they should still be in, why elbows and knees are allowed, but not a head but? Surely a knee/elbow is much more devastating.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've said in here that being hit with 16ounce gloves is worse than beING hit with baret knuckles, to have everyone disagree with me, so yes, heavier gloves might not help, but whilst people are being knees in the face or kicked in the kidneys oR pummeled whilst they are helpless on the floor it's a moot point

16s are better than 5s.

We use both.

Otherwise we get a lot of these ideas from guys who don't fight. And a cool idea like hey just fight bare knuckle is fine if someone else is doing it.

Same guy in the video fought Fedor. And as an example that guy has two bricks instead of hands. Bare knuckle would have killed someone.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
chris haseman and fedor.

some sort of no face punching on the deck and standing counts?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very similar to the other thread on pugilism. Rule changes and environment will always change the dynamic of a combat sport.

First UFC only had three rules: 1) No biting 2) No eyes 3) No Groin

Now there about 30 rules in place for the UFC.

For example, Tank Abbott was the first guy to wear gloves (outside of the "boxer" in UFC 1 who had 1 glove on and 1 bare hand). Why? He had been in enough streetfights to know that you can't punch hard to the head without risking injury to your hand. Also, a Tank Abbott early rule modification was the first UFC's had a lot lower fence. Tank picked a guy up and almost threw him out of the ring. Lo and behold, the fence was raised up and the rule put in place about it.

For a better example of rules and environment. Look at fights in Pride and UFC. Different sets of rules. Pride guys did very poorly in the UFC and vice versa. In Pride you could stomp kick your opponent, so you didn't have to go to the ground to still engage your opponent or wait for them to stand up like in the UFC if you didn't go to the ground. In the UFC and events that use a fence around their ring, fighters have learned to use the fence to their advantage to secure better positions, to avoid being taken down, or in the case of Pettis/Henderson using the fence to jump off of to do a kick.

Look at Marco Ruas, he was one of the first guys to start stomping feet in the clinch, it became popular for awhile and now you rarely see it. Why? It is not a rule violation, but kind of an unwritten gentleman's agreement not to do it. It doesn't negate its effectiveness and is not a "dangerous" technique, but has been phased out as the sport has become more refined and not viewed as the "anything goes" events.

The bigger influence in my opinion isn't necessarily the rules themselves, but fighters exposure to the different arts and finding what works best in that context. Seeing the fighters of different background adding tools that they didn't have before. I remember watching early nhb fights and you would always see EVERY SINGLE STRIKER trying some awkward hook/roundhouse punch to the ribs/head of an opponent. Then Sakuraba shows up on scene and starts using hammerfists, now the hammerfist is a normal technique and nothing unique.