Just Got Permission to Teach

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been a couple weeks, so it might be odd to suddenly reach back out and be like, "By the way, why did you turn this down?" I think the time to ask was immediately after hearing it.

That's the way I have always been though. If someone says "no," I figure: why digging into the reasons? It's not likely that I will turn them around.
You're right. no need to dig for a reason if they didn't give a reason.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a couple weeks, so it might be odd to suddenly reach back out and be like, "By the way, why did you turn this down?" I think the time to ask was immediately after hearing it.

That's the way I have always been though. If someone says "no," I figure: why digging into the reasons? It's not likely that I will turn them around.
I don't think it would be that odd, so long as you approach it the right way. You could just give them a call and say something like, "I'm working on finding a location for my program, and I want to make sure I'm approaching the right kinds of places. Could you share with me what it was you were looking for, and how my program didn't fit it? I'm hoping knowing that will help me spot the right fit quicker in the future."

For you, it's about two things: figuring out what the "wrong" places are looking for, so you can discover the misfit before you get too hopeful; and finding out what places are looking for, so you can adjust your marketing language to highlight how your program does fill that need (assuming it does).

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Random update: I have abandoned this idea for a little. Probably good to do so, since I don't even know the two weapons forms and need to get in a lot more chi sao practice. My main goals right now: better rooting and better chi sao. Kind of hard to seem like a knowledgeable fella when your rooting sucks.

Actually, what my Sifu said to me was that better skill is what allows one to uproot another, and a novice might not be able to uproot me. So my goal for now is to achieve that deeper understanding. It has always amazed me to see these people who can take one section of a form and tell you eighty different ways to apply it before they even take a breath.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random update: I have abandoned this idea for a little. Probably good to do so, since I don't even know the two weapons forms and need to get in a lot more chi sao practice. My main goals right now: better rooting and better chi sao. Kind of hard to seem like a knowledgeable fella when your rooting sucks.

Actually, what my Sifu said to me was that better skill is what allows one to uproot another, and a novice might not be able to uproot me. So my goal for now is to achieve that deeper understanding. It has always amazed me to see these people who can take one section of a form and tell you eighty different ways to apply it before they even take a breath.
Just my input, Steve. If you feel like you don't have the fundamentals where they need to be, shore them up. At the same time, nearly everyone I know felt that way when they started teaching. WC has a very long curriculum, so I'm not sure what it means that you're missing the two weapons forms. My only recommendation is that you be sure you can teach the stuff the beginners need to get right before you start teaching. You'll never feel ready, even when you are.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just my input, Steve. If you feel like you don't have the fundamentals where they need to be, shore them up. At the same time, nearly everyone I know felt that way when they started teaching. WC has a very long curriculum, so I'm not sure what it means that you're missing the two weapons forms. My only recommendation is that you be sure you can teach the stuff the beginners need to get right before you start teaching. You'll never feel ready, even when you are.

I don't agree with the long curriculum. There are only 6 forms: two weapons, one dummy form, and three empty hand. I have the fundamentals down fine. After all, NO beginner has good rooting, so I know that I could at least teach the basics. The good thing is that while they are developing their basics, I will also be training the advanced stuff, so theoretically I should stay ahead of the curve. Nothing would be worse than winding up with students who are better than you...because who's going to come to your school if you aren't even as good as your students? They might as well pay the students instead! LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with the long curriculum. There are only 6 forms: two weapons, one dummy form, and three empty hand. I have the fundamentals down fine. After all, NO beginner has good rooting, so I know that I could at least teach the basics. The good thing is that while they are developing their basics, I will also be training the advanced stuff, so theoretically I should stay ahead of the curve. Nothing would be worse than winding up with students who are better than you...because who's going to come to your school if you aren't even as good as your students? They might as well pay the students instead! LOL
I wouldn't worry too much about having students who are better than you. It happens in business (managers who have employees who become better managers), and it should happen in MA. I am a better teacher than technician (at least in my head), so I'd love to create a student or two who are better than me. I'd know where to send them for some more advanced training, too. I think of boxing, MMA, etc. as a model for this. The best coaches out there are most likely not better cage/ring fighters than the folks they coach (the same goes for golf coaches, etc.).

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about having students who are better than you. It happens in business (managers who have employees who become better managers), and it should happen in MA. I am a better teacher than technician (at least in my head), so I'd love to create a student or two who are better than me. I'd know where to send them for some more advanced training, too. I think of boxing, MMA, etc. as a model for this. The best coaches out there are most likely not better cage/ring fighters than the folks they coach (the same goes for golf coaches, etc.).

I hear you. Still, in the long run I think waiting is best for me. There is too much else going on for me to even really focus on it.

Latest Discussions