Just Curious....

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
....Aside from a self defense situation, where it doesn't (shouldn't) matter, does anyone feel some sort of discomfort if practicing the arts without wearing at least part of uniform?

Not in the least. I feel it is so very important to practice your art in the clothes that you would be wearing in everyday life. Afterall, it would be very uncommon to be attacked while walking around wearing a martial arts uniform. Normal clothing is usually more restrictive than workout attire.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? Nothing feels a little off in the least or not right? You don't miss the "snap" sound? Nothing?
OK, I'll fess up. I do like the different mindset that comes with putting on the uniform. It's like I go into *fun* mode (or, as it was called for a time in the 90s, a flow activity). Lose track of time, shed about 20 years, become superman...well, maybe not, but you know what I mean. ;)

Bottom line is, the uni=some good rough and tumble fun, without having to break the law or do something my conscience will nag me about later. Deal some bruises, get some bruises, learn by zigging when I should be zagging, learn by teaching, learn from students' Aha's!

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon7.gif

icon14.gif

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? Nothing feels a little off in the least or not right? You don't miss the "snap" sound? Nothing?

Well let me tell you, of course it feels different, how could it not ... as Kid alludes to, there is a different mindset with that uniform on, it's workout time. Being that I practice in street clothes, I have a pretty good idea on what I can do in those more restrictive clothes and therefore I am not overly uncomfortable in that situation.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Cool! I thought this up as me and a friend were discussing "a mental thing" concept. We spoke about how, when we go running, we have to wear certain clothes (for me Cami pants) or we have a "bad" run. It's just a mental discomfort where you just can't "get going". The same thing about the MA uni. Something just feels off when not wearing at least some piece of it, like missing the "snapping" sound of strikes--lol. I just wondered how many feel this way too.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well let me tell you, of course it feels different, how could it not ... as Kid alludes to, there is a different mindset with that uniform on, it's workout time. Being that I practice in street clothes, I have a pretty good idea on what I can do in those more restrictive clothes and therefore I am not overly uncomfortable in that situation.
I knew what you meant, and respect what you're saying. SD is bottom line a serious business, and you're alluding to taking it seriously. Totally good. But I was just adding that it's also mostly a fun time for me--but then, I like pain (like the rest of you MA freaks on this thread :lol:). It's a release for a lot of the day's tension.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I knew what you meant, and respect what you're saying. SD is bottom line a serious business, and you're alluding to taking it seriously. Totally good. But I was just adding that it's also mostly a fun time for me--but then, I like pain (like the rest of you MA freaks on this thread :lol:). It's a release for a lot of the day's tension.

Gotcha ... one of my favorite sayings is, "I'm sore everyday, some days more than others" ... same goes for those nagging bruises, aches and pains that you speak of ...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a single bit. I don't do a sport which requires a uniform. I'm not a soldier or cop who will be wearing one to fight in. I want my practice clothes to be as close as possible to what I'll actually be wearing in a real situation. The more awkward it feels the less efficient I'll be.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah, it doesn't bother me at all. In uniform, not in uniform, training is training to me. What would bother me is if for some reason we didn't have to bow/salute before entering etc. That is totally ingrained in me. Uniforms to me are more of a comfort/movement thing and I wouldn't train in it outside of class.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, opposite, I feel like if I can do it with my uniform on it's an artificial situation. If I can do it in jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, maybe a jacket, then that means it's really something I can really do. But if I have to be barefoot... or in dobok pants... or on mats, then it's just a drill. There *are* some thing I can only do in that environment, but for me those are "abstract" martial arts techniques, not yet "practical" martial arts techniques for me.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me at all one way or the other, the uniform is more comfort, but as JT said, training is training.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
For sure when I train at home I do not wera a Gi or look for a nice comfortable mat. I do it in my regular cloth, so yes I gues I get used to do MA in jeans, and in my backyard (sometimes on the porch=concrete sometimes on the grass). Gi or cloths makes no difference to me.

What mostly feels weird is doing it out of the dojo. Where if neighbours get out can see you (usually I stop pretending doing something else, maybe ashamed?) or where I don't have to bow before entering or when I take a weapon in my hands.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also don't have any problems with training without 'uniform'... But that might be due to the fact that the clothes I train in, aren't a real uniform. It's just a black T-shirt and a black pair of trousers (I believe they are called 'kung fu trousers' by the manufacturer, but they're made of cotton, slightly wider than normal trousers and not really special).

So, perhaps there's a correlation between whether you wear a 'real' uniform (gi) or not during training?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can actually practice in anything, and have taught students in everything from jeans and a t to workout shorts and shirt. Technique and focus-wise, it makes no difference.
But I'll admit, wearing a uniform feels special. It adds an "officialness" to it. Putting on a uniform, whether or not I have to, is like putting on the Uniform of Power.

jackmcmanus21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can actually practice in anything, and have taught students in everything from jeans and a t to workout shorts and shirt. Technique and focus-wise, it makes no difference.
But I'll admit, wearing a uniform feels special. It adds an "officialness" to it. Putting on a uniform, whether or not I have to, is like putting on the Uniform of Power.

I agree....I think wearing the uniform is more of a mental advantage than a physical one. Sure, MA uniforms and Gis are more flexible and easier to move it, but you definitely do get a certain feeling when strapping gloves or shinpads on.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Let your everyday stance be your fighting stance and your fighting stance your everyday stance" - Musashi

If you aren't just as comfortable doing it in the clothes you normally wear you haven't really made it part of you. If the dressup games are necessary your training isn't where it should be.

Latest Discussions