Just bought a pair of karate shoes

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I feel pain around my ankle because the curves of these shoes apply pressure. Any tip to relieve pain? Is wearing socks a better option?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have never been satisfied with any "karate" shoe
dont do socks (unless they are yoga socks with grippies)
i love the merrel barefoot running shoe - works for all my training needs

OP
T

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I bought these for $20. Is it because there are really cheap? The reason I need karate shoes, because my feet are very slippery on a dojo floor.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel pain around my ankle because the curves of these shoes apply pressure. Any tip to relieve pain? Is wearing socks a better option?

Karate/Taekwondo shoes should fit tight, but if it's to the point it's causing pain, then you might need to go up a half size, or maybe try a different brand and see if they fit better. I wear ankle socks with my shoes.

The first week or so they will be a little bit more uncomfortable as they form to your feet. But if it's been a few weeks and it still hurts, you might want a different size or brand.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought these for $20. Is it because there are really cheap? The reason I need karate shoes, because my feet are very slippery on a dojo floor.
What kind of floor are you working out on? Are you wearing foot protection? I have seen it cause slipping problems for some people.
It takes time and can be painful but there is a value in conditioning your feet to the working surface. I think Adidas makes the best kicking shoes hands down.

OP
T

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What kind of floor are you working out on? Are you wearing foot protection? I have seen it cause slipping problems for some people.
It takes time and can be painful but there is a value in conditioning your feet to the working surface. I think Adidas makes the best kicking shoes hands down.

The dojo floor is made of woods and very smooth. They will replacing the floor, because it is very old and squeaky. What sort of foot protection are you talking about? I’ll take a look at Adidas.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea which shoes you bought, and I’ve never worn “karate shoes.”

I’ve worn wrestling shoes on and off at karate. I get plantar fasciitis every now and then, and having the support of a shoe takes the edge off a bit when it gets bad. They work pretty well on the dojo floor IMO.

Try ASICS Matflex. Good and relatively cheap. If you need a more substantial sole, try the ASICS Aggressor. I’ve never worn them, but guys I wrestled with loved them. Expensive though.

If you’ve got a Dick’s Sporting Goods near you, they typically carry them year-round. Since wrestling is in season now, they’ll be easier to find overall.

ASICS Wrestling Shoes | Best Price Guarantee at DICK'S

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea which shoes you bought, and I’ve never worn “karate shoes.”

I’ve worn wrestling shoes on and off at karate. I get plantar fasciitis every now and then, and having the support of a shoe takes the edge off a bit when it gets bad. They work pretty well on the dojo floor IMO.

Try ASICS Matflex. Good and relatively cheap. If you need a more substantial sole, try the ASICS Aggressor. I’ve never worn them, but guys I wrestled with loved them. Expensive though.

If you’ve got a Dick’s Sporting Goods near you, they typically carry them year-round. Since wrestling is in season now, they’ll be easier to find overall.

ASICS Wrestling Shoes | Best Price Guarantee at DICK'S

That.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The dojo floor is made of woods and very smooth. They will replacing the floor, because it is very old and squeaky. What sort of foot protection are you talking about? I’ll take a look at Adidas.
Like the foam foot protection that covers the ball of the foot making them slippery sometimes or the cloth shin/instep pads.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can understand the problems with slip. Most of the TKD tournaments I've gone to have had slick mats, and combine that with use basically wearing fancy padded socks for instep protection, it means you can slide. When I did my first tournament at orange belt, I hopped back to avoid a kick and slid an extra 2 feet unintentionally.

So I definitely understand where OP is coming from.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, are we talking about actual shoes, or are we talking about sparring gear foot pads? A bit of a difference.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shoes.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, are we talking about actual shoes, or are we talking about sparring gear foot pads? A bit of a difference.
Both, the OP asked about shoes because of slippage. Questions were asked about the workout surface and if gear was being worn to get more info.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Both, the OP asked about shoes because of slippage. Questions were asked about the workout surface and if gear was being worn to get more info.
Slippage on the floor can be common when you start out. It is actually feedback for your stance and movement to see if your weight distribution and balance is correct according to the stance or movement you are doing. I am sure wearing shoes that grip will correct this issue of slipping somewhat but I wonder what the long term impact of using shoes will do when it comes to helping one understand how NOT to slip. Sure an instructor can point it out but even if they do, how do I know I am not continuing to have weight and balance issues if it is my shoes that prevent me from slipping ?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple people started talking about slipping while wearing sparring gear, so it made me question what I was reading. I was thinking maybe I missed something. Combine that with “$20 karate shoes” and I started having doubts. I’ve seen some karate and TKD shoes in catalogs/online, but they were more than $20. I’ve seen a few sparring foot pads for $20 though.

Hence my asking for clarification. I’m pretty sure he meant actual shoes, but sometimes there’s a language barrier online.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple people started talking about slipping while wearing sparring gear, so it made me question what I was reading. I was thinking maybe I missed something. Combine that with “$20 karate shoes” and I started having doubts. I’ve seen some karate and TKD shoes in catalogs/online, but they were more than $20. I’ve seen a few sparring foot pads for $20 though.

Hence my asking for clarification. I’m pretty sure he meant actual shoes, but sometimes there’s a language barrier online.
FWIW, my Adidas blew a hole after about 10 years Now I wear $6 ebay pair to school but do not workout in them. Worst thing about the shoes I have now is that the insole rubs off and my feet are sometimes dirty.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
This sort of thing makes me wish I could apply my forty years of experience in footwear development. I would love to sit down with companies who make shoes like these and redraw the pattern to avoid problems like this.

Having said that, if you can find some of that arch foam they sell to prop up the arch area, you could trim it back a bit, shape it to the topline and use the sticky stuff on the back to hold it in place. You just need to get the topline away from the ankle a couple of millimeters.

Latest Discussions