Just Another New Guy

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand its exaggerated in movies but are the forms not the same? Or do you always have to go to a school to see it with authenticity?

To be honest I'd say you have to go to see what it's about, I wouldn't take any film as an authority on what happens in a style. A CMA person would have to tell you whether those forms are the same as the ones done, but then again forms aren't fighting.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand its exaggerated in movies but are the forms not the same? Or do you always have to go to a school to see it with authenticity?

Are you referring to fighting? Please I am curious here. When does fighting have to be martial arts, and in a movie?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about martial arts being used in a real fight.

Then you are not going to see it. Announcing ones skills is just stupid. Whatever skill set, a real fight is what it is, not about the martial arts, but about doing what is necessary. Hey good luck man :)

OP
McDooginz

McDooginz

White Belt
Reaction score
There's plenty of people that box for both sport and self defense and boxing is considered a martial art.

And thank you

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from a fellow skater. In looking to take up an art, I would first suggest looking into what is available in your area as this dictates what you will be able to train. You made mention to jkd in an early post and I would as someone who currently trains in it that it is a worthwhile art to train. I found that my past skateboarding experience has help me in my martial arts training, as in skateboarding you get out what you put into it. I guess that is true of most things, but the individual aspect of skateboarding has helped me to be more focused in how I train outside of class. I hope this helps and good luck in your journey.

OP
McDooginz

McDooginz

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from a fellow skater. In looking to take up an art, I would first suggest looking into what is available in your area as this dictates what you will be able to train. You made mention to jkd in an early post and I would as someone who currently trains in it that it is a worthwhile art to train. I found that my past skateboarding experience has help me in my martial arts training, as in skateboarding you get out what you put into it. I guess that is true of most things, but the individual aspect of skateboarding has helped me to be more focused in how I train outside of class. I hope this helps and good luck in your journey.
Thanks, nice to see another skater here.