Junzuki -- Just what is it?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still only paid about £6 new for the books though, they must be very expensive in America.

An imported good with a very small audience in general for it? Yes, I would expect it to be relatively expensive. My copy of the Ohgami kata book was around $45 or so for the black hardback edition when I bought it from Abe Books, who specializes in out-of-print or scarce books. Somewhat pricy for a little book I guess.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless my eyes deceive me, the price is 33 Euros, not US dollars. With the conversion to dollars along with s/h from Europe, $70 is probably close enough.

Yeah, $49.50 + shipping is the price that I'm seeing.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in buying a Wado book, I actually think the Danubio book has a better layout and it includes the kumite sets.

That's interesting.

I actually used his Pinan Shodan vid on YouTube to help learn the kata and it was a lot of help.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, maybe you should take a look at this site:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

The mentioned Shingo Ohgami works are here:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Karate-Kata-Do-Ryu-Shingo-Ohgami/9789197023108
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Introduction-Karate-Shingo-Ohgami/9789197023115

I can see the "Introduction To Karate" is currently anavailable, but from my experience it can be there again at any time (anyway, chek out the price of the other book, maybe you'll have a happy surprise). This site has good prices and... the delivery is free. I've already bought books in it and I plan to buy more in the future.

I looked for Roberto Danubio's books in it, too, but unfortunately only found his DVDs. Anyway, I believe you would have another option now when you're looking for a book.

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the other members have answered your query, but a couple of points you might like to know.

First, Wado-Ryu, Karate-wise, is based in Shotokan (the grappling aspect is from Shindō Yōshin-ryū). Next, what is called oi-zuki, lunge punch, in Shotokan, is re-termed jun-zuki in Wado.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

In Wado-ryu – Junzuki is reference to a stepping lunge punch that is performed same arm to leg forward.

Also – and it does get a bit slippery here – it is done in Junzuki-dachi, as strictly speaking we don’t use Zenkutsu-dachi in Wado-ryu.

A leading hand punch that is done by sliding forward (as opposedto ayumi-ashi, or stepping through (back leg past front)) is most commonly called tobikomizuki.

First, Wado-Ryu, Karate-wise, is based in Shotokan (the grapplingaspect is from Shindō Yōshin-ryū). Next, what is called oi-zuki, lunge punch,in Shotokan, is re-termed jun-zuki in Wado

Hmm, not really:

Although Otsuka trained with Funakoshi for a period (as well as Motobu, and Mabuni etc) you have to bear in mind that the Karate he practiced with Funakoshi was verydifferent to the Shotokan of today. He also trained with him for a relatively short period of time.

In truth, it’s not just the grappling element that was incorporated from Shindo Yoshinryu – it’s basically most of the principles behind the entire system.

At best, Otsuka utilized the external structure of the Kata he learnt from Funakoshi andco and tailored them to suit his own vision of Wado.

If we look at Junzuki for example, on the surface, it does look similar to Shoto’s Oizuki, but the mechanics behind it are slightly different and for different reasons. There is a little more rotation of the hip/shoulderand the centre of mass is more centred rather than forward.

From a Wado perspective, the practice of Junzuki is anexercise in movement as a whole. It is considered much more than just a punch.

Regards

Sojobo