Jumping Spider Strategy

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After you have established a clinch on your opponent, suddenly you jump on his body, and take him down like a jumping spider. It's similar to BJJ "jump guard".

What do you think about this strategy?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool looking reap. Never seen it done quite like that before.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting distraction from your actual intent. Thanks for sharing.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the other guy knows this, you may be walking right into his technique.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the other guy knows this, you may be walking right into his technique.

Normally I would agree, but if you watch the original clip closely it appears nage is entering with his lead shin framed against his uke's thigh until he has planted his rear foot and is ready to execute his reap. I suspect that frame may make it hard for his opponent to get a controlling grip for the counter throw. Done with ill intent, it might also translate into a damaging/off-balancing strike with the shin.

That's just a thought. I've never tried that sort of entry so I'd want to experience it from both sides before making a judgment.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have used to jump to a leg out or Japanese armbar. I like the shin across the upper thigh to keep the opponent from getting the hip in. In muay thai we have shin block similar to this but across the hips to maintain space.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normally I would agree, but if you watch the original clip closely it appears nage is entering with his lead shin framed against his uke's thigh until he has planted his rear foot and is ready to execute his reap. I suspect that frame may make it hard for his opponent to get a controlling grip for the counter throw. Done with ill intent, it might also translate into a damaging/off-balancing strike with the shin.

That's just a thought. I've never tried that sort of entry so I'd want to experience it from both sides before making a judgment.

I kind of thought it was an inexperienced attacker trying to learn. He looks down at his feet, and seems too far away for the attack, so ends up telegraphing his intent. Looks like the defender, seeing the attacker hadn't yet learned how to do the technique, decided to teach the attacker something anyway. ;) Including a rather hard fall.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a version of utsuri goshi, where the shin is used in a similar place. (looks like an attempted hani goshi)

Second variation here, 15 seconds in:

That said... just because a technique has a counter, doesn't mean its a bad technique... All techniques have counters. Its just that the first thing that jumped into my head when watching the video in the OP, was utsuri goshi. In the end though, I think its all in the set up.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reason that his opponent can pick him up because he fails to

- twist his right leg on his opponent's left leg, or
- bite his right leg on the inside of his opponent's right leg.

The "leg twist" is an excellent counter here.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions