Juko Ryu Jujitsu?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone heard of this? Passed a school and actually stopped today coming home from work to see what it was. Would it be worth cross training in that at all?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where was it? Who was the instructor? and What do you hope to get out of it? If it is in South Bend I know the Guy and he is a great guy and very very good at what he does. You can pm or e-mail me

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Juko ryu jujitsu, if it is the style of Rod Sacharnoski (or however it is spelled), then I would keep away from it, but that's just me. If it is his style, you can read a lot about him on e-budo...

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the 70's my dojo joined Sach's organization and he would come each Friday night to give mini seminars. It was a learning experience as we eventually parted our ways.

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
just to clarify my last post, the learning experience was why we went are seperate ways.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always interested in knowing about the actual technical contents of Juko-ryu jujutsu. I only know Juko-ryu's Daiyoshin-ryu Aikido and it looks like Aikido to me. So, what does Juko-ryu Jujutsu looks like? Is it simply repackaged Judo, or does it really has something unique?

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not know of the contents of Juko Ryu. I only know of the history info.
I have had to learn this because of the ASSUMED relationship between Mr. Sachronowski and Mr. Church. As far as "Dai-Yoshin Ryu", It did not exist....Mr. Church trained with a Japanese Jujutsu /Judo instructor as a young boy. Later in life he DESCRIBED it, as he remembered, as Daito/Yoshin Ryu styled Jujutsu. This developed, unfortunately, to Dai-Yoshin....Mr. Church NEVER claimed any relationship to this except to describe the training received as a young boy. After Church sensei's death, it was BLOWN way out of porportion to being some great art that was somehow passed to Mr. Sacronowski. I believe the truthfulness of this was questioned and disproven. You can read most of this on e-budo.
I will not comment on the ability of Mr. Sacronowski or any of his students since I have no personal experience of them. I just stay away because of all of the historical "problems".:rolleyes:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a Juko-ryu Ju Jitsu out of Britain that is not related to Sacarnowski. There are a few satellite schools in Canada, not sure if there are any in the States. Shihan Brian Cheek is head honcho.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
frank raud said:
There is a Juko-ryu Ju Jitsu out of Britain that is not related to Sacarnowski

I think, though I'm not quite sure that it is related. As I understand it, it was the style of Morris and Clark, but later on they distanced themselves from Sacharnowski

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've met a practitioner of Juko Kai that joined our jujutsu club. He talked a lot about the jujutsu stuff they used to do, but I never saw any of it. What exactly get's taught under the premise Juko Kai, I was of the understanding it was mostly their Combat Ki stuff.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TimoS said:
I think, though I'm not quite sure that it is related. As I understand it, it was the style of Morris and Clark, but later on they distanced themselves from Sacharnowski
I will admit some confusion with the connection between Clark, Morris, and Sac. What I do know, is in the 15- 20 years I have been going to semi-annual seminars by Morris(never had any dealings with Clark), I have only seen solid basic ju jitsu, nothing flowery or involving secret moves. When Morris Sensei hits, its fast and hard.

Both Robert Clark and Richard Morris had plenty of training and teaching time under their belts before their assocciation with Sac., I think it was a business arrangement that didn't work out.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
frank raud said:
I will admit some confusion with the connection between Clark, Morris, and Sac. What I do know, is in the 15- 20 years I have been going to semi-annual seminars by Morris(never had any dealings with Clark), I have only seen solid basic ju jitsu, nothing flowery or involving secret moves. When Morris Sensei hits, its fast and hard.

Yes, I've heard similar stuff. I myself practised years ago for a while a style that was derived from Clark's and Morris' style and while there is some debate whether it can really be called jujutsu (as it has no real roots in any koryu styles) I will admit that it was quite realistic, or at least seemed like that to me back then :)

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
I've met a practitioner of Juko Kai that joined our jujutsu club. He talked a lot about the jujutsu stuff they used to do, but I never saw any of it. What exactly get's taught under the premise Juko Kai, I was of the understanding it was mostly their Combat Ki stuff.

I have only seen daiyoshin-ryu aikido video done by Mary Sacharnoski. Looks like aikido to me, rather strange aikido with even bigger circle and lots of turning around by tori after completing technique. The beginning of the video has Jukokai logo in it.

mybloodyvalentine

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Pleasure to meet you good peeps. I was scanning through the internet on my art, and I happened to find a link to this forum. Forgive me if im dragging up an old post, but as it appears, its a post without anwsers, so I thought to anwser it.

To tell you what my art is, is to begin with its name: Juko Ryu

Ju (hard) ko (soft) Ryu (style)

I do believe thats how it is, I might have it vice versa, o'well. Anyways, it's a form of jujitsu where the one whom is training learns to use nothing, but lethal moves (nothing flashy or showy) to hurt or kill the one whom they are fighting.

The reason our style is hard/soft is because we dont believe in using strength, just Kie (spelling?) energy. Ill post more on my art later

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mybloodyvalentine said:
Ju (hard) ko (soft) Ryu (style)
Not quite.... First of all ju means soft, and hard would be go. I don't speak japanese, but looking at the kanji displayed here and here, it looks to me that the ko is written with a different kanji, so it might not mean hard (it is a bit hard to read because the text in the jukokai logo is so small)

mybloodyvalentine said:
Anyways, it's a form of jujitsu where the one whom is training learns to use nothing, but lethal moves (nothing flashy or showy) to hurt or kill the one whom they are fighting.

So all your moves are designed to kill? Wow, must be hard finding training partners :D

mybloodyvalentine

White Belt
Reaction score
Im sorry, I might have gone over board by saying "every move" is designed to kill, when its not (just most them). Finding a training partner (yoko) isn't hard, typically they need to simply know how to fall, and tap out.

Not very many people use this to *spar*, or play around. Its very combative, and not very competitive. Juko Kia, is not a sport, simply put. It's a way to kill, or defend.Its unlike any other art ive ever taken......

Most the history posted here is wrong btw......

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mybloodyvalentine said:
Juko Kia, is not a sport, simply put. It's a way to kill, or defend.Its unlike any other art ive ever taken......

Sounds to me like any martial art (martial sports are a different matter altogether). I don't practise karate for sport and most certainly when I actively practised kobujutsu (included are jujutsu, jojutsu and tojutsu), there is no way those can be practised as sports. This leads me to think that your experience in other arts isn't that vast

Well, maybe you could then write a more correct history for us

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
mybloodyvalentine said:
Im sorry, I might have gone over board by saying "every move" is designed to kill, when its not (just most them). Finding a training partner (yoko) isn't hard, typically they need to simply know how to fall, and tap out.

Not very many people use this to *spar*, or play around. Its very combative, and not very competitive. Juko Kia, is not a sport, simply put. It's a way to kill, or defend.Its unlike any other art ive ever taken......

The term YOKO means side. I believe you mean UKE = receiver or attacker as well as block.

As for Juko Ryu. There was a conection between Clark and Morris and Sch.... Clark and Morris formed the World Ju Jitsu Federation after the time they spent with Sch... As I understand, from my late sensei who was for a time vice president of the WJJF, the certificates used by the WJJF for a time were based upon the certificates issued by Sch... I know that they have been changed for some years now.

Greg Palmer

Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Juko Ryu has a combines traditional and non-traditional Jujutsu,Kempo and breathing tech. Though there may be some poeple that dout some of the people and the leaders of Juko Kai they are for the most part a talented group of people.I am an x member no longer practicing so I realy have no hidden agenda to promote or slam JKI. Everyone that I have met in JKI was a stand up person. I was involved several years and before that I was involved with American Kempo and boxing.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bushi jon said:
Juko Ryu has a combines traditional and non-traditional Jujutsu,Kempo and breathing tech.

Ok, so which traditional jujutsu ryu is it (partially) based on?