Jujutsu, Ju-Jitsu, Jiu-Jitsu, Jiujitsu

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How the heck is this suppose to be spelled in the 21st century, I mean other than 柔術

I am assuming, and I probably should not assume, that it is spelled Jujutsu based on what appears to be the proper translation of 柔術 into , jūjutsu

I have seen Ju-Jitsu, Jiu-Jitsu, or Jiujitsu and waaaaaaaay back when I trained it we were spelling it Jiu-Jitsu

So what is now the excepted proper spelling?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My general understanding is jujutsu implies traditional Japanese martial art. Jiu Jitsu implies Brazilian... and is more awesome. I added that last part. :)

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Hepburn romaji it is seen as "Jujutsu"

You might even see it get romanized as "JyuJitu"
Jyujutsu
Jujitsu
etc etc.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My general understanding is jujutsu implies traditional Japanese martial art. Jiu Jitsu implies Brazilian... and is more awesome. I added that last part. :)

Now it all makes sense...us old time Japanese Jiu Jitsu guys, who are really tough, awesome and full of coolness used the spelling and then after the newer less-tough, not quite so cool and most certainly not awesome generation took over Jiu Jitsu they gave up the name and went to jujutsu (or at least that is what I am now told it is) so then you BJJ guys came along looking to be like us and decided to get some of our toughness, awesomeness and coolness by picking up the name... who could blame you...we were damn awesome. :D

OK now that I have pretty much ticked off the entire Jujutsu/Jiu Jitsu community I shall be moving to another country and living under an assumed name and of course....wearing Groucho glasses everywhere I go ...gotta go.. very fast.... Bye :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Now it all makes sense...us old time Japanese Jiu Jitsu guys, who are really tough, awesome and full of coolness used the spelling and then after the newer less-tough, not quite so cool and most certainly not awesome generation took over Jiu Jitsu they gave up the name and went to jujutsu (or at least that is what I am now told it is) so then you BJJ guys came along looking to be like us and decided to get some of our toughness, awesomeness and coolness by picking up the name... who could blame you...we were damn awesome. :D

OK now that I have pretty much ticked off the entire Jujutsu/Jiu Jitsu community I shall be moving to another country and living under an assumed name and of course....wearing Groucho glasses everywhere I go ...gotta go.. very fast.... Bye :D
And if you're Orthodox, it's jew-jitsu. But that's something else entirely.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How the heck is this suppose to be spelled in the 21st century, I mean other than 柔術

If you are in Japan Jujutsu would be most likely the accepted choice because when a native speaker says Ju instead of Jiu and Jutsu instead of Jitsu the understanding is much clearer. There may be some confusion with Jiujitsu with a native speaker because Ju from my understanding is said quick not longer like Jeeu and Jutsu should be quick as well and not Jit but Ju. You can hear the difference if spoken slowly but very quick it is harder to hear the difference.

It really depends whom you talk to on spelling. The more traditonal Japanese guys will say Jujutsu and would be correct because that is as close to a native as you will get.

Others may argue that since it is a loan word in English than Jiu Jitsu is correct because that is how it is commonly used now.

I guess it is like Wade Gile and Pin yin for Taijiquan. You have Tai Chi Chuan that most know and you have Taijiquan.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
You forgot ju-jutsi.
I know it doesn't make sense but that was what the people in my previous dojo used to call it. Mind you, none of them knew anything about Japanese. The paperwork said jiu-jiutsu... usually :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ju Jutsu. Everyone else is wrong. Anyone who says different is wrong. End of story.

Oh, and Xue, Jujutsu precedes "JiuJitsu", so is awesomer as it hadn't been changed into a sport with all the scary stuff removed.... but for even more awesomerness, there's earlier versions such as Hade, Goho, Koshi no Mawari, Torite, Taijutsu, Koppo, Yawaragei, Kogusoku, Yoroi Kumiuchi........

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Jiu Jitsu is better because all the scary stuff is added back in! :)

And tutu-tsu... that's a particularly artistic style, but I'm not a fan of the uniform.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ju Jutsu. Everyone else is wrong. Anyone who says different is wrong. End of story.

Oh, and Xue, Jujutsu precedes "JiuJitsu", so is awesomer as it hadn't been changed into a sport with all the scary stuff removed.... but for even more awesomerness, there's earlier versions such as Hade, Goho, Koshi no Mawari, Torite, Taijutsu, Koppo, Yawaragei, Kogusoku, Yoroi Kumiuchi........

Ahhh how I miss the naiveté of my youth :D

Not a sport in America...over 30 years ago... where we were full of AWSOMENESS...and attractiveness :D

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jiu Jitsu is better because all the scary stuff is added back in! :)

And tutu-tsu... that's a particularly artistic style, but I'm not a fan of the uniform.

Well of course...you were just trying to live up to our AWSOME standards...and who could blame you...we were awesome... but sadly.... you entirely missed when it comes to the uniform… which we…in our awesomeness and attractiveness called a Gi :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Being serious. If jiu-jitsu is English, by way of Portuguese, by way of Japanese, at what point can you no longer say that it's misspelled? What I mean is, it's misspelled if you're talking about a correct transliteration from the Japanese characters. But is it still a Japanese word at this point? Talking specifically about the BJJ term.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Being serious. If jiu-jitsu is English, by way of Portuguese, by way of Japanese, at what point can you no longer say that it's misspelled? What I mean is, it's misspelled if you're talking about a correct transliteration from the Japanese characters. But is it still a Japanese word at this point? Talking specifically about the BJJ term.

Being a CMA guy for 20 years all I have to say is it ultimately makes about as much difference as the Pinyin of Xingyiquan being compared for correctness against the Wade Giles Hsing-i Chuan from a Western perspective.

However you go to China of today it is 形意拳 and if they westernize it they use Xíngyìquán. But Americans use xingyiquan without any tone indication so technically it is still not right from a modern Chinese perspective.

But regardless we all know it came from my generation of Jiujutsu because we were just so... damn... awesome.

And stopping to do the math, first I realized...damn I'm old.... yet still awesome...but my Jujutsu days were damn close to 40 years ago....no wonder why we were so DAMN awesome... and attractive :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And stopping to do the math, first I realized...damn I'm old.... yet still awesome...but my Jujutsu days were damn close to 40 years ago....no wonder why we were so DAMN awesome... and attractive :D

damn, you are old. I am just turning forty. tomorrow.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy birthday, FC :waves:

And I am wondering amidst all this awesomeness and multifarious spellings ...

... where does the Judi-chop fit into things? :angel:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
damn, you are old. I am just turning forty. tomorrow.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

And yes, yes I am old

This was taken before I shaved my beard last week :uhyeah:

ChineseOldMan.jpg