Judo... will be?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think is time to put TKD in a vault and move on. Afther so many years of TKD training I just don't feel happy and want something refreshing, I really enjoy martial arts still, and I want to keep learning new stuff, martial arts are some kind of passion.

So I chat with a judo sensei and I think learning judo can be fun, yes I know the work outs will be killer and only hope I could be smart enough not to over do them and burn myself down.

Basically I want to do some exrecise and learn judo for self defense, I will need a judogi but don't have BIG bucks to invest in, the judo fee is $400.00 Mexican Pesos abiut U$D25.00 per month.

Any advise or thought you can share and waht kind of judogi should I buy one that's not too heavy, decent quality and price.

El Manny

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I purchased my gi through century. The pants are fairly like light weight but the top will be of heavy construction. As for the cost I believe it was around 75 dollars. If I can give you an advice in regards to doing judo, it's to learn how to fall correctly. Good luck hope you enjoy judo

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent choice Manny! Judo will compliment your TKD training amazingly well. I would have personally recommended Bjj over Judo due to the potential of injury being much higher in Judo, but if you're up to the punishment, you've made a great decision!

As to gis, I would talk to your instructor and see what they recommend. If s/he is open to a variety of different gis you can always just order one online. As Gigsy said, they're going to be heavier by default. Far heavier than the uniform you wear in TKD due to the constant lapel and sleeve pulling.

Keep us informed about how your progression in Judo goes. I'm very interested in hearing about your transition from TKD to Judo.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent choice Manny! Judo will compliment your TKD training amazingly well. I would have personally recommended Bjj over Judo due to the potential of injury being much higher in Judo, but if you're up to the punishment, you've made a great decision!

As to gis, I would talk to your instructor and see what they recommend. If s/he is open to a variety of different gis you can always just order one online. As Gigsy said, they're going to be heavier by default. Far heavier than the uniform you wear in TKD due to the constant lapel and sleeve pulling.

Keep us informed about how your progression in Judo goes. I'm very interested in hearing about your transition from TKD to Judo.

Hello and thank you and every one who encourages me to start this new journey, let me tell you I am not newcomer in Judo, when I was a 7 years old boy (way back in the mid 70's) my dad wanting to wake up the little boy's mom put me in judo classes, sadly I quit pretty early and never got even a yellow belt, then when I was 10 my dad took me to anothe judo dojang but again in those days I wasn't as enthusiastic as I was when a teen. Something I learnt form those days where the sweeps lika dashi-baray and oso-togari and some ipon seoinage that I use a lot when teaching self defense at the dojang.

Do you think that judo can be harsh compared to BJJ? Why? I know as a general rule that the A,B,C of judo are the ukemis tht's the name? and it's mandatory to learn to fall and to roll, I know a little of these, not much but more than the average person. What do you think I have to take care of judo? I don't wana overburn my self or hurt myself, I just want to enjoy judo and hope it can help me to understand the wrestling instead the kicking or punching.

El Manny

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you and every one who encourages me to start this new journey, let me tell you I am not newcomer in Judo, when I was a 7 years old boy (way back in the mid 70's) my dad wanting to wake up the little boy's mom put me in judo classes, sadly I quit pretty early and never got even a yellow belt, then when I was 10 my dad took me to anothe judo dojang but again in those days I wasn't as enthusiastic as I was when a teen. Something I learnt form those days where the sweeps lika dashi-baray and oso-togari and some ipon seoinage that I use a lot when teaching self defense at the dojang.

Do you think that judo can be harsh compared to BJJ? Why? I know as a general rule that the A,B,C of judo are the ukemis tht's the name? and it's mandatory to learn to fall and to roll, I know a little of these, not much but more than the average person. What do you think I have to take care of judo? I don't wana overburn my self or hurt myself, I just want to enjoy judo and hope it can help me to understand the wrestling instead the kicking or punching.

El Manny
A lot depends on the individual judo or BJJ school. On average, being thrown repeatedly is more likely than groundwork to lead to wear and tear on the body. Since judo schools typically spend more on throws (and are more likely to focus on the big throws) than BJJ schools, they can be rougher on your body. There are other factors to consider, though. The club atmosphere can make a difference. A really hardcore, competitive BJJ school might be rougher than a really mellow, safety-conscious judo dojo.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

El Manny

Tony covered most of this, and it comes down to being thrown repeatedly onto a semi-hard surface over a period of time. Granted, the mats absorb a lot of that impact (I personally prefer crash pads for lower belts), but it still can be pretty stressful on the body. Which is why some older Judoka tend to migrate to Bjj when they get too old for the impact level of Judo. There's also the wear and tear on your hands from constant gripping of the rough gi material, but that exists in (gi) Bjj as well.

Your mileage will vary, but Bjj does tend to be less hard on the body than Judo, mainly because of newaza, and the adoption of wrestling style takedowns over the higher impact Judo throws. Part of the reason I switched from Judo to Bjj was because of the constant heavy impact I was experiencing. But again, your mileage will vary.

With that said, you can't go wrong practicing Judo.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on the individual judo or BJJ school. On average, being thrown repeatedly is more likely than groundwork to lead to wear and tear on the body. Since judo schools typically spend more on throws (and are more likely to focus on the big throws) than BJJ schools, they can be rougher on your body. There are other factors to consider, though. The club atmosphere can make a difference. A really hardcore, competitive BJJ school might be rougher than a really mellow, safety-conscious judo dojo.

You might find a combination school, where the instructors are ranked in BJJ and judo, and they compete in both.....at your age, you should ease into to taking throws, though, and really work on your breakfalls a lot-well beyond the point where they're "comfortable," or second nature, before taking a lot of them in practice.I know, it seems like a paradox-how do you work on your falls without being thrown? Trust me on this though, as you're nearing the age when most longtime practitioners start limiting the number of falls they take in a class, and just starting at your age, you'll be more prone to injury from the occasional (and inevitable) incorrectly received fall....go slow, though, and you should be fine-I kind of specialize in training the old and infirm-my oldest student was 87 years old, and he managed a couple of falls a class......for a while, anyway.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh boy... what I see lines above is something to be aware of, some years back I look at judo clases at a University faclity and recall one of my MA budies told me about the injures I could have practicing Judo with the young studs, in that time I pased away Judo and took Kenpo Karate lessons, I will go to this judo class (adult class) and see first some things: a) It is really an adult class? I mean people of around my age or just kids, b) is the intensity of the class designed to teach mature men the art of judo or is the class designed to develop competidors, c) does the sensei take care of the adult men or not. In TKD I've got hard and solid blows but that was when I was younger and recovery was fast then, today a dislocate shoulder or problems with my lower back are an issue to me.

I wish I colud find a judo class for adults not competitors, but I think this dojo focus in kids and youn people with sport intentions (tournamentes) but I will have to go and see for myself.

El Manny

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Manny wouldn't be there to become beer buddies with Renzo Gracie. He'd be there to learn some great Jiujitsu.

Which he would, and then some.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Manny wouldn't be there to become beer buddies with Renzo Gracie. He'd be there to learn some great Jiujitsu.

Which he would, and then some.
Hmmph.

I don't think you'd disagree with me if I said that people learning to carry firearms for self-defense learn proper rules of engagement.

I think it's the same for martial arts-any of the-and Renzo is apparently the kind of jerk who doesn't even know what they are.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's Shawn Williams, a Renzo Gracie black belt, and a Bjj innovator.

What a jerk..... :rolleyes:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Here's Shawn Williams, a Renzo Gracie black belt, and a Bjj innovator.

What a jerk..... :rolleyes:

Hey, over the years I've had some instructors who were kind of edgy.

I'm downright sociopathic, myself, but I don't go chasing after trouble like Renzo did-and if and when I ever did, I didn't go bragging about it in a public forum, didn't own a school, and didn't have my name on other people's schools.

I also teach people the difference between self defense and chasing after trouble, and that the first (and sometimes last) self defense technique is to run away. Renzo Gracie-if his story is true-chased after those guys when he should have been running to safety, and he bragged about it.

You asked what was wrong with that place, and I said as much: the name on the sign. I don't care if the man himself has never even been there (actually, that would be worse!!)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh boy... what I see lines above is something to be aware of, some years back I look at judo clases at a University faclity and recall one of my MA budies told me about the injures I could have practicing Judo with the young studs, in that time I pased away Judo and took Kenpo Karate lessons, I will go to this judo class (adult class) and see first some things: a) It is really an adult class? I mean people of around my age or just kids, b) is the intensity of the class designed to teach mature men the art of judo or is the class designed to develop competidors, c) does the sensei take care of the adult men or not. In TKD I've got hard and solid blows but that was when I was younger and recovery was fast then, today a dislocate shoulder or problems with my lower back are an issue to me.

I wish I colud find a judo class for adults not competitors, but I think this dojo focus in kids and youn people with sport intentions (tournamentes) but I will have to go and see for myself.

El Manny

Sport judo is fine because you actually have to get to a point where you throw a guy who dosent want to be thrown. And that is ultimately the essence of judo anyway.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sport judo is fine because you actually have to get to a point where you throw a guy who dosent want to be thrown. And that is ultimately the essence of judo anyway.

Depends on how sport the Judo school is. If its too sport, they will actively omit certain moves, just like Bjj schools that are so sport that they ignore stand up almost entirely.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmph.

I don't think you'd disagree with me if I said that people learning to carry firearms for self-defense learn proper rules of engagement.

I think it's the same for martial arts-any of the-and Renzo is apparently the kind of jerk who doesn't even know what they are.
Renzo is actually one of the nicest, friendliest guys you could ever meet and a great coach.

That said, I would absolutely not suggest learning the rules of engagement from him. Renzo, like many of the other Gracies who grew up in Brazil, learned a mindset that is not at all about avoiding trouble or staying out of fights. Fortunately he does not seem to push that mindset on his students.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, over the years I've had some instructors who were kind of edgy.

I'm downright sociopathic, myself, but I don't go chasing after trouble like Renzo did-and if and when I ever did, I didn't go bragging about it in a public forum, didn't own a school, and didn't have my name on other people's schools.

I also teach people the difference between self defense and chasing after trouble, and that the first (and sometimes last) self defense technique is to run away. Renzo Gracie-if his story is true-chased after those guys when he should have been running to safety, and he bragged about it.

You asked what was wrong with that place, and I said as much: the name on the sign. I don't care if the man himself has never even been there (actually, that would be worse!!)

It's a Brazil thing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a Brazil thing.
No it's not. And yes I'd been to Brazil. In fact my unit in the Marine Corps spent several weeks training and living with the Brazilian Military. They were no different then any other countries I've been to. Perhaps it's a BJJ "thing" or a Gracie "thing"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it's not. And yes I'd been to Brazil. In fact my unit in the Marine Corps spent several weeks training and living with the Brazilian Military. They were no different then any other countries I've been to. Perhaps it's a BJJ "thing" or a Gracie "thing"

Really? The guys from the Brazilian military wouldn,t chase down a mugger and choke him unconscious.

Latest Discussions