Judo test times

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I have a friend who started judo about 3 months ago and he's already testing for his second belt and says they test every 2 months. Is that about normal for judo because I feel that's to quick but maybe that's just the way it is for judo. Also I don't reckon they're a McDojo because their prices are very low. They charge 2.50 for a lesson and a test is 5 pounds so it's not like they're charging huge money.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's that "mcdojo" term again, and I still don't know what it means (does anybody? Or is it just a buzzword everyone uses?).

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends. In my dojo we test more or less yearly. When you start though, it's quicker. Three months in and you test for yellow, with orange under a year later. Then you get tested yearly-ish. That's assuming each grade is a kyu. Different countries have different belt systems. You might find 1st and 2nd kyu (blue and brown belts in Canada) might take ever a year to get through. It's not uncommon to hang out at brown belt for a while.

A particularly talented person might progress quicker. A good wrestler or BJJ guy might progress faster, especially if they do a lot of tournaments.

Training five days a week in Japan will get you progressing even faster.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's that "mcdojo" term again, and I still don't know what it means (does anybody? Or is it just a buzzword everyone uses?).
"mcdojo" is a term people use for a martial arts school that is only in it for the money and could care less how well trained their students are. Commonly mcdojos have high prices, frequent testings, and low standards for black belts. Some mcdojos are taught by people who have little or no martial experiance at all, and just trick people into thinking they do and charge them for classes.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I have a friend who started judo about 3 months ago and he's already testing for his second belt and says they test every 2 months. Is that about normal for judo because I feel that's to quick but maybe that's just the way it is for judo. Also I don't reckon they're a McDojo because their prices are very low. They charge 2.50 for a lesson and a test is 5 pounds so it's not like they're charging huge money.

No idea if it is a mcdojo or not based on just that alone. Normally the first two kyu ranks go by lighting fast, of course it also depends on the student.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of MA schools test for the first belt or two quickly. That shouldn't be a red flag. What should be a red flag is if EVERY belt is awarded every two months. My CI usually skips the first test and double promotes adult students (if the pass) when they're supposed to take the second belt test because the syllabus for the first test is pretty small. He's supposed to go white-advanced white-blue, but rather than testing them 2 months after they start and then again two months later, he usually just waits until the 4 month or so mark and tests them then for both ranks.

Judo is kind of a wild card in this though, as people can promote due to competition success. People have gotten to black belt very quickly due to competition. I don't know the specifics, but I've read that if you beat 5 consecutive black belts in a high level competition, you'll be promoted to black belt. I'm sure there's more involved, but it gives you a basic idea. And I think that's far less common today as it was a few decades ago.

Judo is very standardized, so I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of MA schools test for the first belt or two quickly. That shouldn't be a red flag. What should be a red flag is if EVERY belt is awarded every two months. My CI usually skips the first test and double promotes adult students (if the pass) when they're supposed to take the second belt test because the syllabus for the first test is pretty small. He's supposed to go white-advanced white-blue, but rather than testing them 2 months after they start and then again two months later, he usually just waits until the 4 month or so mark and tests them then for both ranks.

Judo is kind of a wild card in this though, as people can promote due to competition success. People have gotten to black belt very quickly due to competition. I don't know the specifics, but I've read that if you beat 5 consecutive black belts in a high level competition, you'll be promoted to black belt. I'm sure there's more involved, but it gives you a basic idea. And I think that's far less common today as it was a few decades ago.

Judo is very standardized, so I wouldn't worry too much.
I'm not worrying Im simply asking if it's normal out of curiosity. I don't plan to train judo anytime soon just simply wondering.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in my Judo days in Germany we tested once a year if ready. Judo is very regulated over there and they always brought in outside testers from the German Judo Bund. We even had a Budo pass where they stamped and signed everything.....I actually found it at my parent's house last month when visiting....brought back memories .....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many systems use a curriculum that starts out simple and gets more complicated as you advance. In our system, most people can test for their first belt in 4-6 weeks. 2-3 months between tests for the early ranks is not uncommon. But by the time they reach 3rd geup, 6-12 months would be more average. Very few people spend less than a year at 1st geup or Chodanbo.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
A yellow belt in judo just means you can fall to the mat without getting your **** stuck in the ceiling fan. 2 months isn't unreasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a subjective, conceptual term. Most people use it in a common way, and most understand the concept whether they agree on the subjective part or not, though it's really hard to nail it down to a list of criteria (as is true of many concepts).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many systems use a curriculum that starts out simple and gets more complicated as you advance. In our system, most people can test for their first belt in 4-6 weeks. 2-3 months between tests for the early ranks is not uncommon. But by the time they reach 3rd geup, 6-12 months would be more average. Very few people spend less than a year at 1st geup or Chodanbo.
With some variation, that's similar to what I remember from the NGAA - first belt was reasonably quick (6 weeks sounds about right), and at least a year at brown (last before black). My times were longer than average at all of those.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
A yellow belt in judo just means you can fall to the mat without getting your **** stuck in the ceiling fan. 2 months isn't unreasonable.

o_O how the **** would that even happen? But yeah, finishing white belt just means you practiced breakfalls.

Last edited by a moderator:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a subjective, conceptual term. Most people use it in a common way, and most understand the concept whether they agree on the subjective part or not, though it's really hard to nail it down to a list of criteria (as is true of many concepts).

You disagreed with my post. I meant it half a joke and half true. It's a disparaging term for certain school methods, which of course the person using the term doesn't belong to one of them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You disagreed with my post. I meant it half a joke and half true. It's a disparaging term for certain school methods, which of course the person using the term doesn't belong to one of them.
Okay, I'll pull the "disagree". What I was disagreeing with was the "any school" part of it.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'll pull the "disagree". What I was disagreeing with was the "any school" part of it.
Hey, you're more than free to disagree if you like. I actually think that, of all the people, you've clicked disagree the most on my posts. I use a sarcastic type of humor which is hard to convey online.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, you're more than free to disagree if you like. I actually think that, of all the people, you've clicked disagree the most on my posts. I use a sarcastic type of humor which is hard to convey online.
That's why I cleared the rating. I didn't catch the sarcasm.