Judo Osoto Gari ???

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is such a simple and devastating self defense move
The outer reap

From ytube ..you need to get the persons weight on the leg you attack . You can start with collar and biceps control or over and under etc

This move is amazing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This "front cut (or diagonal cut)" throw is the most logical throw used in the throwing art.

- You let your leg to do your leg job, let your hands to do your hand job.
- You don't have to turn your back into your opponent.
- You can control your opponent's arms so his hands won't give you any trouble.

But you need to develop your leg skill "diagonal cut" along with single leg balance (or "front cut" with body momentum) that most beginners don't have.

If "single leg" and "double legs" that both don't require any leg skill and single leg balance are considered as beginner level skill. The "cut" will be considered as intermediate level skill.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my favorite outer reap is the karate neck ring throw variation where your arm wraps around their neck pushing their head back as you go for the reap

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my favorite outer reap is the karate neck ring throw variation where your arm wraps around their neck pushing their head back as you go for the reap
Variation. My Hapkido style taught what they called a Tiger Mouth strike, which was a thrust of the striking hand, hand opened with thumb and fingers splayed, the principal striking point was the base of the forefinger down into the web of the palm from that point to the base of the thumb. The idea was to strike, then grip. I guess you "could" grip & rip? I'd just grip and hold 'em.

DO that strike as your kuzushi and hit them with a same side Osoto at the same time... pretty much ends the problem. I ended a few take it outside problems witht hat technique in the bad old days.

Also, while it's nice to have their weight firmly on the leg being reaped, it's not absolutely necessary. You can execute the throw most cleanly and efficiently at the moment when they commit to "putting" the weight onto that leg... the leg never gets to the ground, more of a foot sweep timing thing. Beautiful when you catch it just right, the dude just floats up in the air....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The outer reap

From ytube ..you need to get the persons weight on the leg you attack . You can start with collar and biceps control or over and under etc

This move is amazing
Can also be done with their weight mostly on the other leg, so long as that weight is at the heels and moving back. The structure breaking is important - without it, you're hoping they'll fall down when you sweep.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Cut" can be done in 2 different ways:

You can use your:

- leg to hook up your opponent's leading leg and take him down diagonally (45 degree to your left, or 45 degree to your right.
- momentum to run him down and take him down straight backward.

Old saying said, "If you can attack your opponent's back leg, attack his back leg. Otherwise, attack his leading leg first. You then attack his back leg afterward."

You can also use cut to counter your opponent's cut if you can obtain the same hand contacts as your opponent does. When your opponent has upper collar grip on you, if you can circular your head under his arm to the other side, you can cut him right at that moment.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The outer reap

This move is amazing

:D I bet you thought that we'd never seen it or practised it before. I love you tell people who have been doing it for years how to do it though, that's chutzpah. :D

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Should you reap slightly perpendicular at an
angle ???

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering how "slightly perpendicular" works at all tbh, even before getting into points of reference ;)

Its more slightly Perpen
Ytube check out Sampson judo from London and another one with a Japanese champ saying the same thing
You get more power and hips into it

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Directly facing the opp was also used by others
.It was half and half but I felt the higher level guys were slightly Perpend

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its more slightly Perpen
Ytube check out Sampson judo from London and another one with a Japanese champ saying the same thing
You get more power and hips into it

My point was that perpendicular is 90° from a plane of reference.

There's no such thing as slightly perpendicular - you can't have "slightly 90°".

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My point was that perpendicular is 90° from a plane of reference.

There's no such thing as slightly perpendicular - you can't have "slightly 90°".

ok then maybe 40-60 degrees turn to your left if you attack his right leg

Latest Discussions