Judo/JuJutsu

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, in my area (Canada), there is a martial arts school not far from my house. I went to see a class and I was told that it was a Judo Jusutsu class: both mixed into one. I am just wondering if this is right or wrong, should I be looking for somthing else? I don't know what to do

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While there is a great deal of overlap between the two arts, they have distinctly different goals and strategy. Most judo is taught and practiced as a sport and tradition-based jujutsu is entirely focused on self defense.

Have you observed a class and do they have a website? Without knowing more about what and how they teach, I wouldn't feel capable of offering an informed opinion.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, they don't have a website, and I have observed a class and the teacher said that it was Judo with Jujutsu incoperated in it. Which is my question.
What is Judo with Jujutsu incorperated in it?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kevdak, are you actually in Cornwall, or the surrounding area? There is good jiu jitsu in Chesterville, that may work for you.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am in Cornwall. I wanted to go check out the school out there but I need a car, which I don't have at the moment.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, they don't have a website, and I have observed a class and the teacher said that it was Judo with Jujutsu incoperated in it. Which is my question.
What is Judo with Jujutsu incorperated in it?

I'm just guessing/speculating, but I would say:

Judo as a base (as it is a good system) but adding in the "illegal" techniques that are not legal during Judo matches, but make great self-defense/combat techniques.

In hapkido class, my instructor often does this: he will show a legal judo technique such as a pin or lock, and then show some OTHER things that you can and probably SHOULD use in self defense, while pointing out that if you are competing in a judo match it is illegal.

Remember: Kano developed judo FROM jujutsu styles.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Scott is probably right. There are a lot of judo groups that will teach you the sport application and then add something like "but in a self defense situation, you'd do this".

I'm not a big fan of this approach. You fight the way you train and the likelihood of you remembering a technique you've spent a couple of minutes on rather than the throw you spent hours perfecting is pretty slim.

On the bright side, judo is a great foundation art. You'll find that your stamina, balance and coordination will all improve with regular training. A good judoka is a tough opponent and randori is guaranteed to toughen you up.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of this approach. You fight the way you train and the likelihood of you remembering a technique you've spent a couple of minutes on rather than the throw you spent hours perfecting is pretty slim.

After rereading my post, I realized what a stupid statement this is. The idea of perfecting anything in hours is ridiculous. I should have said months, years, decades...not hours. Forgive the brain fart.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so if I am to go back for another look at the Judo/Jujutsu school, what should I really be looking for?
What makes me stop and 2nd guess the schools is that they teach more than 1 style; I believe they are: Basic Karate, Judo, Jujutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, and Aikido, all of which are I believe tought by the same person except for Aikido. Is this a warning sign?

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so if I am to go back for another look at the Judo/Jujutsu school, what should I really be looking for?
What makes me stop and 2nd guess the schools is that they teach more than 1 style; I believe they are: Basic Karate, Judo, Jujutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, and Aikido, all of which are I believe tought by the same person except for Aikido. Is this a warning sign?

It would certainly send up a red flag for me.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So now I am pretty much $*** out of luck for MA. There is one place left, Shorin-Ryu Karate and I don't know anything about it. It looks like its tought through someones house! Oh, I know this is the wrong forum, but I have heard bad things about Fang Shen Do Kung-Fu, just wondering if any of you have heard anything about them.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
STAY AWAY from Fang Shen Do. A quick google will tell you it's more trouble than its worth.
I should have checked some places out when I was there last weekend.

I'll see if I can get a reccomendation from some folks in Ingleside or Chesterville. I know there is some karate/BJJ
http://www3.sympatico.ca/paul_bouvier/Contact.html Sure can't beat the price, check it out.

The Cornwall Academy of Integral Karate is a not for profit organization. The fees charged are used to pay for the Dojo insurance and training equipment.

Children classes are $1 per class.
Adult classes are $2 per class.
Tests are $10 per belt.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1st off. did what you saw look effective?
Did they seem serious?
Did you get a good vibe from the instructor?

My Sesnei started at the Trimont Dojo, in the Soth Bronx, under Antonio Perrara, and it was a Jujutsu,Judo and Karate school, my Sensei studied Judo and Jujutsu together, competeingin Judo and studying Jujutsu for the streetfights common in his youth,and he did fine as a cop with it.
I have to disagree that Judo Jujutsu should not be studied together, it is actually an advantage, many Jujutsu techniques should not be used in sparring (That's true of every art, even Boxing has rabbit punches, just cant use them in the ring.) Judo randori gives you a rule set to limit injury, so you can go all out with an opponent, this is very valuable, especially if you have not been in many nasty fights.
Judo and Jujutsu go together, when I do Judo rules Randori, I dont use arm break, head thrwos and other Jujutsu goddies, and they dont happen even underf pressure.
When I have fought, I always go toward the nastier stuff.

Now if this Sesnei is older, there is a good chance he has studied Judo,Jujutsu, Aikido,Ninjutsu and Karate, he just might have more time with 1 or 2 arts than the others. We do 2 main arts at our Dojo, but lots of us have done other arts, so allot of crosstraining goes on, you might walk in and see someone enter with a FMA strike combo, use a Jujutsu head manipulation and end up using a Judo pin, to punch the downed opponent in the face. I digress, if the instructor is under 30 and claims profficeintcy in all the above arts, make like an Iron Maiden song and Run to the Hills.

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's been ages since I've last been on here. Anyways I have had way too many things to do, but I am going to join the judo school near my house at least for a month or two and see how things go. Ill let everyone know how it goes. I hope for the best, wish me luck lol :)

OP
Kevdak

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I went for my 1st class, I must say I enjoyed it very much. Great place. The teacher is 63 or 66 years old I can't remember. He has a black belt in Judo, Aiki-jutsu, Nin-jutsu, and Karate. The students are welcoming and very helpful. I think I have found my judo home.

Latest Discussions