Judgment Day

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The "web of all things". I am hearing that phrase and description more often these days...

Self-driving Google cars. GPS devices in all phones, tablets, cars, watches, sneakers etc. Fridges that can obey voice commands.

If we are looking at a potentially real Terminator "Judgement Day", what would the time frame and count-down now be looking like, realistically? When will the "web of all things" have the ability to go live as a self-aware and modifying conglomerate entity?

When will it view mankind as an inefficient and/or obsolete cog in the wheel, or on a more dooms-day theory note, a threat and something that needs to be liquidated?

Without being too conspiracy-theory, paranoid, could this possibly happen in the next 10 - 20 years, or a little later?

If so, if one is minded to take pro-active steps to defend oneself (such as already having emergency supplies etc for natural disasters, and I know many on this forum like myself have just such preparations in place), should we consider taking any steps to protect or better safe guard ourselves, or if the time frame is still a ways off, putting things I place to better serve our children?

I am not talking about going rampant and trying to blow up the phone lines and crash the web etc. But what if anything can be done to prepare for a potential attempt at humankind's extinction? For those of us lucky enough to have cabins in the woods, etc do we lay down more supplies and just hope like hell we can make it to those more remote areas and that we won't be picked off in due course by thermal drone sweeps?

Are there electronic jamming devices or EMPs on the market, or that can be easily built that could be laid aside, would these be of any use?

What's the general view, could it happen in "our life time"?

if so, what are you doing/going to do about it?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you expecting a T1000 to turn up :) Would there be a applicable EMP device available, doubt that, unless you know a spook you can ask. A jamming device, would have to passive and have a hidden signature. Make it background, maybe. Aggressive and you probably will be having a very quick and concise convo with Mr 500 Pounder. Then again I have pretty warped view of technology, probably best to ignore my post :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
7597926161a641e3b8845353d9e2526d.jpg

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you expecting a T1000 to turn up :) Would there be a applicable EMP device available, doubt that, unless you know a spook you can ask. A jamming device, would have to passive and have a hidden signature. Make it background, maybe. Aggressive and you probably will be having a very quick and concise convo with Mr 500 Pounder. Then again I have pretty warped view of technology, probably best to ignore my post :)

Maybe something similar to that will actually turn up on our doors steps in about 50 years, who knows, maybe a lot sooner? Is it really so unlikely to just laugh off?

If a global AI system decided to eradicate mankind, I am not sure how it would best go about that. Possibly easier to simply have the water mains which will be under its control, etc contaminated rather than go about having scary robots/cyborgs built...

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about some dormant disease sitting on the skin of an unknown newt in the Amazon letting loose and killing billions before we can get a handle on it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe something similar to that will actually turn up on our doors steps in about 50 years, who knows, maybe a lot sooner? Is it really so unlikely to just laugh off?

If a global AI system decided to eradicate mankind, I am not sure how it would best go about that. Possibly easier to simply have the water mains which will be under its control, etc contaminated rather than go about having scary robots/cyborgs built...

Yeah I got the point fella and you are quite right. Ten years ago if you said that the modern day CPU will internally hit 5Ghz, you would been deemed quite crazy. Global AI could really go the way of many Science Fiction films. Probably closer to I Robot I would think. The problem is that just as many bad people will want to influence the system for whatever nefarious wants and needs. In a future society, that would damned fine and convenient way to trim the population. Yes the three rules may well not be so Hollywood.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don`t worry about judgement day but where are those sexy robots we have been waiting for for so long? :D

17-robot-paintings-by-hajime-sorayama.jpg

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your really interested in this, look up technology singularity to get an understanding of the current theories. Keep in mind it was not long ago that the first AI passed the Turing test.

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don`t worry about judgement day but where are those sexy robots we have been waiting for for so long? :D

17-robot-paintings-by-hajime-sorayama.jpg
You mean you don't already have these out in the land of pickled herrings??

OP
Zero

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope can`t say we do, we do have cute Hulder living in our woods tho :D

thalestill_jpg-660x371.jpg
What is the purpose of that tail? Nope, on second thoughts scratch that one, best not to answer!!!:)

Latest Discussions