Jr. Black Belt Test

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't 'control' dyslexia as such. if there are no other conditions that go with it and many don't have, it's a case of having coping strategies. In schools, colleges etc this can be as simple as having someone who can take down dictation and type. for others it may be special glasses.
By your example not being to read or write means that illiterate people are also barred from training.

No one is saying you have to take students you don't want to, you can talk to any perspective student and discuss with them training, medical conditions and disabilities etc, then a reasoned decision can be made by both sides.If you feel you can doing nothing for this student, say so honestly, the student may have already decided that for themselves. however you may end up with a brilliant student who just needs to dictate their essay to someone, still their essay just been written down by someone else. You may decide you can cope with and teach a student with asthma but can't cope with an autistic student. Thats honesty and doing the best for all concerned.

What is wrong though is a blanket ban on anyone even asking to train with you because you've said 'no disabilities or medical conditions, no mentally or handicapped people will be accepted here' so don't even bother knocking on our door.

Btw its basically the same with teaching children, if you aren't a person who can teach children sympathically why do it? If you enjoy teaching children and believe you can teach them to a high standard, go for it.

"No one is saying you have to take students you don't want to, you can talk to any perspective student and discuss with them training, medical conditions and disabilities etc, then a reasoned decision can be made by both sides."

and what if the applicant wants to train despite the teacher's reasoned decision that they are not qualified?

training is not a right, it is a privilege. Do you disagree with that?

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i dont not agree, in no way should you have to give a kid a black belt. Tell them up front, as I would do, that they will not receive until the age of 18 (which I feel is the right age) or unless they demonstrate the maturity level to handle the responsibilities of the rank. Once they attain that rank they need to also understand that in the eyes of the instructor and the people at the dojo they are an adult and from then on will be treated like an adult.

sorry my .02

B

Thank you. Totally Agree.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc, guess what, I do teach people with dyslexia. It doesn't always come with complications either. Don't get upset with me just because you posted something you know makes you look bad. You posted that you don't take dyslexics, plain and simple. You didn't say you consider how people cope before deciding to take them, you didn't say you refuse to take people with more than dyslexia, you said only that you don't accept them full stop, now you're trying to justify that. Btw my question was a perfectly honest one, I was curious to know how you dealt with the essay writing. You were dismissive in dealing with my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez3
What do you do in the case of dyslexia?

I don't accept them. Unquote

Now it seems you do, so why did you post that you don't? why all the stuff about it being political correctness? it was good of your student to defend you but should he have had to? Why did you deny him originally?
I have no problem with people deciding who they should teach and who they shouldn't but the sheer rudeness of a blanket ban on a particular condition without taking anything into consideration is inhumane and unfair. Now it seems the post was a falsehood and you do take people with dyslexia, a severe case by the account so why the denial in the first place.

Emotional? yeah, damn right and proud of it :ultracool

It's probably best not to call people sir unless you're positive they are male rofl!!

Pardon me for having an exception to a simple requirement. I answered as is generally correct. If I were to begin to write every exception for every yes and no answer I could spend my life on he forum. Seems you're more concerned with being right, than whether someone who should be able to train is allowed which they do. My advice to you is take a Motrin, wait a week, and your problem will go away.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not to go far afield, but I really don't remember anyone in those vids I'd personally throw a black belt on, whether a junior, fourth degree, or otherwise.

Totally agreed. The lack of decent stancework, intent, power, and body alignment made it extremely difficult to sit through both vids. Personally though, I was more appalled at the lackadaisical manner displayed by the fourth-degree, who not being a kid, really OUGHT to have known better!

But, as has been previously discussed, if the teacher doesn't think it's important to execute a tech as if your life depends on it, then why should the student?:soapbox:

Kind Regards,
TCG

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally agreed. The lack of decent stancework, intent, power, and body alignment made it extremely difficult to sit through both vids. Personally though, I was more appalled at the lackadaisical manner displayed by the fourth-degree, who not being a kid, really OUGHT to have known better!

But, as has been previously discussed, if the teacher doesn't think it's important to execute a tech as if your life depends on it, then why should the student?:soapbox:

Kind Regards,
TCG

Which is why I blame instructors and not students. I inform students, not blame them.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which is why I blame instructors and not students. I inform students, not blame them.

I know what you mean, sir (oops, is that word passe now?:)).

And I've often found that you can gain a good indication of the teacher's ability by watching his students, especially the senior ones... which is why I'm entirely happy to train with the 5.0 crowd in Oz. Our school may have only one black belt (a 2nd degree), but the way she, the one Green Belt, and the two Blue Belts move, I know my instructor does a damn good job in skilling students up.

Also, having trained in two TKD McDojos, I believe that even if a school decides to award Jnr Black Belts, the Pass/Fail decision should still be governed by decent standards of excellence, i.e. Poor basics and lackadaisical performance = Fail.

Kind regards,
TCG

P.S. Sir, I hope very much to be able to attend one of your seminars someday...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean, sir (oops, is that word passe now?:)).

And I've often found that you can gain a good indication of the teacher's ability by watching his students, especially the senior ones... which is why I'm entirely happy to train with the 5.0 crowd in Oz. Our school may have only one black belt (a 2nd degree), but the way she, the one Green Belt, and the two Blue Belts move, I know my instructor does a damn good job in skilling students up.

Also, having trained in two TKD McDojos, I believe that even if a school decides to award Jnr Black Belts, the Pass/Fail decision should still be governed by decent standards of excellence, i.e. Poor basics and lackadaisical performance = Fail.

Kind regards,
TCG

P.S. Sir, I hope very much to be able to attend one of your seminars someday...

Yeah, Jeff was a student and friend of mine and I know his hard-nosed tough approch to teaching and appreciate it.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truely, the intellectual constepentration here is far beyond my own. I mean, for so many, to have surpassed the need for manners, decorum, and might I say it, maturity. I for one, would beg you to take my worthless self on as a student, and mold me, teach me, shape me in your own images.

On second thought, never mind. I like having friends, not being thought of as a pompous *** and, err, wait a minute (checks rep, pms, and notes).

HEY!

I guess I do fit in with you lot already. Well, print me up a nice shiny certificate, and calll me cuddles. I'd say Ladies and Gentlemen, but no one of that ilk is here, so I'll just say pinheads, blowhards and egomanicas, lend meee your rears!

Or to put it another way, I'm sure you have points, but the dickhead quotient here is getting pretty thick. I just want to fit in.

Toodles!

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

This thread is becoming seriously overheated. Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our rules 1.1 on sniping and personal attacks. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Bob Levine
-MT Senior Moderator-[/quote]

Opps. Sorry.

MT Admin Team

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
***ATTENTION ALL USERS!***

This thread, after much review, is being re-opened. There have been a number of posts which have been reported due to their nature. Please review the forum rules. Please refrain from posts which are harassing, rude or contain personal shots. There have been warnings in place which have gone ignored. This thread will be watched and will be closed again, without notice if the forum rules can't be followed.

MT Admin Team

SifuJohnson

White Belt
Reaction score
If you don't think that MMA would work on the streets then you need to re-evaluate MMA. Give me specific reasons why you think that MMA techniques would not work on the streets. You don't think that a rear naked choke could be applied on someone in a real actual fight? Or pherhaps a straight arm bar? Why do you think this?

Also MMA is far from WWE style wrestling. UFC fights are not fixed. No one knows the out come in advance. They really hit and really bleed.

I know that this is off topic here but I just thought I'd add my two cents and bow out of this thread. I don't think I ever said that MMA techniques could never work on the street. My only contention is that unless you are bigger, stronger and in better shape grappling may not be a good choice for mounting a defense. This is especially true if your attacker is armed in some way. If you think you are bigger, stronger and in better shape knock yourself out. However, most women, almost all kids and a good sample of many men would be at an extreme disadvantage in any self defense situation involving them having to use grappling techniques to defend themselves. Are there exceptions to the rule? Sure I would imagine there are but let's be realistic here. How well do MMA techniques work against more than one opponent and if all things are equil in the octigon why do they have weight divisions?

I also didn't say that MMA fights are fixed (yet) but as we all know where big money is involved sometimes the motivation to put on a good show to pump up the bottom line makes people act strangely. Nuff said!

I also want it clear that I understand that MMA fighters really hit and really bleed. That is why I say it is a blood sport. Now to those of you who think that this attitude makes me hypocritical because after all I am a Kenpo teacher... I say this. Yes we also hit and bleed in class but we don’t generally do it for money or titles and our intention is not to knock anyone out or choke them senseless. I teach people to defend themselves and I train them to be good at it. If a student comes to me and wants to train for MMA events I generally send them to one of the schools that do that sort of thing. No hard feelings.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that this is off topic here but I just thought I'd add my two cents and bow out of this thread. I don't think I ever said that MMA techniques could never work on the street. My only contention is that unless you are bigger, stronger and in better shape grappling may not be a good choice for mounting a defense. This is especially true if your attacker is armed in some way. If you think you are bigger, stronger and in better shape knock yourself out. However, most women, almost all kids and a good sample of many men would be at an extreme disadvantage in any self defense situation involving them having to use grappling techniques to defend themselves. Are there exceptions to the rule? Sure I would imagine there are but let's be realistic here. How well do MMA techniques work against more than one opponent and if all things are equil in the octigon why do they have weight divisions?

I also didn't say that MMA fights are fixed (yet) but as we all know where big money is involved sometimes the motivation to put on a good show to pump up the bottom line makes people act strangely. Nuff said!

I also want it clear that I understand that MMA fighters really hit and really bleed. That is why I say it is a blood sport. Now to those of you who think that this attitude makes me hypocritical because after all I am a Kenpo teacher... I say this. Yes we also hit and bleed in class but we don’t generally do it for money or titles and our intention is not to knock anyone out or choke them senseless. I teach people to defend themselves and I train them to be good at it. If a student comes to me and wants to train for MMA events I generally send them to one of the schools that do that sort of thing. No hard feelings.

I dont agree with you completely. The bolded statements are my main argument.

Any grappling art has many stand up techniques that allow the user to control the enemy and then take them to the ground where they can apply the base of their art. BJJ for example has techniques that are geared towards if some one is throwing a haymaker. You counter by blocking the attack and then throwing your opponent down where you then attain the side mount position with the arm locked and ready to be controled or have an arm bar applied should they still be unwilling to comply after being tossed to the pavement :D.

Your second statement i disagree with most. Again Ill use BJJ to explain my comment (ive only studied 2 arts SKK and BJJ). Anyway Ive been in BJJ classes and rolled with people that despite me being qutie a bit bigger than them (at 6'4" 250lbs im one of the largest) have taken me completely by suprises and skill levels were the same. Now i know that some people just "get it" a lot quicker than other and that is true in my case but according to your statement my superior size should have comepletely overwhelmed them. Size is great and yes can give you an advantage on the ground, but speed, flexibility and agility can negate and sometime make useless the size of your opponent.

Just my .02.

B

Latest Discussions