Jow Ga vs TKD? I think

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is another video of the past instructors in the school.
  • Yes he knows Jow Ga Kung Fu
  • Yes he is good at it.
  • No he didn't use any in the sparring match.
He didn't do that well simply because at this point we didn't spar with people outside of our school. it's often discussed here about how important it is to spar against other systems. This is why. I believe the guy in the shorts is a TKD black belt. From what I know of him, I don't think he learned the Olympic TKD. He trained with the Sanda guys so he has some good take downs.

This is light sparring. The rules were to only give what you get. Neither fighter wanted to go beyond this level of intensity. They also spar to learn. They fight to win and it shows because they bring home medals when they do competitions.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't see much taekwondo either. That guy doesn't much look like a taekwondo fighter either

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Didn't see much taekwondo either. That guy doesn't much look like a taekwondo fighter either
Thanks for pointing that out. I went back and double checked. I was looking for his post that he had of him in a TKD school. When I checked he does Capoeira, Silate, and Karate. I was thrown off because he worked at a place that taught both TKD and Karate. That's what threw me off with the TKD. I know now without a doubt that he also trained Sanda, Karate, and kickboxing. Sorry about the error.

I'll get the right TKD video posted later today.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes it's difficult to know what a fighter does just by because sometimes their fighting doesn't look anything like what they train. For example, the Jow Ga guy doesn't look like much of a Jow Ga guy simply because he's not using any of his Jow Ga techniques.

When he spars in the Jow Ga school he would use his Jow Ga techniques but for some reason he didn't use any that day. It's not always easy to do the techniques we train when it's Style A vs Style B and as a result we look nothing like what we train and most of the what is trained will abandoned because we don't know how to use our style in the context of fighting against another style. I'm not sure if he was experiencing that or not. Just saying that it happens and it's something that is normal and expected when training is done Style A vs Style A.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why are you trying to excuse anyone's performance? Sometimes people "win" sometimes they don't.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why are you trying to excuse anyone's performance? Sometimes people "win" sometimes they don't.
I'm not trying to excuse the performance. I just know how things get with martial arts. People will sometimes see what they think is a lost, and automatically assume that the system sucks. People will automatically see a Style A practitioner fight but not use Style A and assume that the person isn't good at Style A.

I just want people to keep an open mind with this. I think this is important especially when it comes to training martial arts. I try to put as much into context when I show videos of me or others sparring.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This kind of sparring is great for learning purposes and could be done daily. Nice takedowns. It seems you had fun. :)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not trying to excuse the performance. I just know how things get with martial arts. People will sometimes see what they think is a lost, and automatically assume that the system sucks. People will automatically see a Style A practitioner fight but not use Style A and assume that the person isn't good at Style A.

I just want people to keep an open mind with this. I think this is important especially when it comes to training martial arts. I try to put as much into context when I show videos of me or others sparring.

I would enjoy sparring you all, there is no winner or loser in sparring. It is a training tool.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This kind of sparring is great for learning purposes and could be done daily. Nice takedowns. It seems you had fun. :)
lol I had fun especially because no one was able to get a takedown on me that day. We went into the sparring knowing that the Sanda guys would be working their takedowns. I was the only one in the school was able to avoid that fate for the most part. Other than a basic trip I was able to successfully defend against the take downs.

There was a debate among the fighters in my school about what was the best way to avoid and defend against a take down. My theory was to stay low by taking a lower stance similar to how we train. The other guys had a theory that the low stance that we train wasn't functional. My logic was why train it, if it isn't functional to be that low.

That one day was one of my biggest learning days. Here's what I learned that day sparring against people outside my system.
1. My cardio wasn't as good as I thought it was.
2. My legs weren't as strong as I thought they were. Staying low burned up all of my energy within seconds.
3. Stationary low stances are easier than moving low stances.
4. My low stance theory was proven to be correct.
5. Tai Chi helps even if you can't use it to fight, you'll gain a sensory skill set.
6. You have to always try to use your system when sparring even if you don't do good with it. It's the trying that is so important and you'll learn tons about the techniques and the applications of techniques simply from failing.
7. Spending an hour sparring and never trying to use a technique is just a waste of time. What's worse you'll start putting yourself down about your abilities in the system you train without realizing you didn't try in the first place. This is what happened to the boxer in our school. His ego and confidence in Jow Ga was hurt big time that day. The reality of it is that he didn't use any Jow Ga that day but he still felt that Jow Ga let him down.
8. Being too tense burns energy like no one's business.
9. One of the best times to sweep someone is when they are punching you in the face (against your guard). If your opponent is focused on punching your face then they aren't paying attention to their legs.
10. A cat stance can be use to avoid a take down where people put a leg behind you and trip you.

After that day I went back to the drawing board and shifted some assumptions and became better for it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would enjoy sparring you all, there is no winner or loser in sparring. It is a training tool.
You would have a blast. I think you would get better within your system as well simply because you'll be around a variety of skill levels from outside of your martial art system.