Fa Kuen (Flower Fist):

Siu Fok Fu (Small Tiger):

::salute::

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neat! I love the extended foot sweeps in the Fa Kuen form. I often think those are impractical, and they've never worked for me (though I don't study an art whic teaches them), but yours are fast enough I believe you could pull them off! Can you get them in free-sparring?

OP
funnytiger

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Neat! I love the extended foot sweeps in the Fa Kuen form. I often think those are impractical, and they've never worked for me (though I don't study an art whic teaches them), but yours are fast enough I believe you could pull them off! Can you get them in free-sparring?

What we are taught is that when practically applied your sweeps aren't that extended. For training purposes (and aesthetics) they are exaggerated and your foot is extended that far out.

What is stressed is the importance of the combination and timing of the hand movements and the sweeping movements to the legs.

- ft

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting videos. I also looked thru a few of the other jow ga videos linked there on Youtube. I like it. There is a jow ga school here in San Francisco, too bad I'm already spread too thin...

I saw a lot of powerful, swinging punches similar to what I have seen in Choy Lay Fut, and what we have in Tibetan White Crane. I also saw some tiger that looked similar to what I have seen in Hung Gar.

OP
funnytiger

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting videos. I also looked thru a few of the other jow ga videos linked there on Youtube. I like it. There is a jow ga school here in San Francisco, too bad I'm already spread too thin...

I saw a lot of powerful, swinging punches similar to what I have seen in Choy Lay Fut, and what we have in Tibetan White Crane. I also saw some tiger that looked similar to what I have seen in Hung Gar.

Thanks for the props FC! ;)

The reason you see these things is because Jow Ga is a combination of Hung Ga, Choy Ga, and Buk Siu Lum. "Hung Tao, Choy Mei" is what it is called. Head of Hung, tail of Choy.

-ft

Latest Discussions