Journey to a new style...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I joined up as a member of Sensei Rick's Sunday Morning Keiko in January, and received the physical stuff today :D.

I joined as a supplement to my path, wherever I may end up, it provides alot of thought and insight into training which I. really resonate with

It was perfect timing, as I was struggling a bit on the martial path of late, and was stoked to see this on my doorstep. In the package is a welcome letter, certificate of membership, engraved perspex member's card, and a training passport/journal which has an inquiry section for writing your own personal inquiry, training records and notes, and a general notes section (also has a lot of great chapters of insightful writing in it too, not only regarding karate, but mindset, philosophy, perspective etc).

You get access to the exclusive members content online, which is a bunch of different training clips with Sensei Rick (and a few others) explaining key concepts and applications, as well as access to the member's forum so you can chat with others in the community.

Very cool :)
f7cdb4dc6edaa50b42338965824827ba.jpg
Very nice. Would it be possible to get a URL on the website to glean for ideas? PM if you prefer.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice. Would it be possible to get a URL on the website to glean for ideas? PM if you prefer.
Ah for sure, definitely check out his YouTube channel which is an amazing resource, I've watched every one of his vids haha. Even watching how his body moves I've learned so much in translating that to my practice.

YouTube channel:
Shotokan Karate

Sunday morning keiko is here: Sunday Morning Keiko

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
OKAY!

Has been awhile folks... my foot is all healed up from its injury, been having wrist and knee pain issues recently, pelvic stuff still up and down, but goshdarn it I'm keen to get back into it!! Financially also been not able to afford training, but am just having a strong feeling that I need to follow this, honour where my heart is taking me, you know?

So, I just called up a Tang Soo Tao place around the corner from me that I sat in and watched a class at the end of last year (after much staring vacantly at the phone anxiously haha, it's a real challenge!), and the instructor asked if I wanted to jump in tonight! I enthusiastically said yes!

I asked what was best in terms of me and my trialling period and in getting a feel for the style, and he said jump in tonight and I can train Friday too and if I enjoy it I can sign up.

Excited and nervous! But happy I took the leap.

The journey continues.....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKAY!

Has been awhile folks... my foot is all healed up from its injury, been having wrist and knee pain issues recently, pelvic stuff still up and down, but goshdarn it I'm keen to get back into it!! Financially also been not able to afford training, but am just having a strong feeling that I need to follow this, honour where my heart is taking me, you know?

So, I just called up a Tang Soo Tao place around the corner from me that I sat in and watched a class at the end of last year (after much staring vacantly at the phone anxiously haha, it's a real challenge!), and the instructor asked if I wanted to jump in tonight! I enthusiastically said yes!

I asked what was best in terms of me and my trialling period and in getting a feel for the style, and he said jump in tonight and I can train Friday too and if I enjoy it I can sign up.

Excited and nervous! But happy I took the leap.

The journey continues.....
Sounds like you might have a new "home". Let us know how it goes.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a new "home". Let us know how it goes.
Hehe, and it is literally just round the corner from my home!

Really enjoyed the training! Obviously the Korean terminology was different to get used to, but I managed to slot in well with my foundation, and obvious slight technical differences.

The breathing they did was different too, rather fascinating! They all did a "choo" sound with techniques, and the last technique in a series was like a "tsaaaa". They still did the normal kiai/kihap shout at finishing points.

Did some standing basics, moving basics and combos combining kicks and punches.

Did an interesting movement when moving in fighting stance which took some getting used to, it was almost like an arm swing to our open side and snapping it back in guard position. Not sure what it was exactly!

We did alot of bagwork and paddlework too which was fun. Got dizzy from the spinning back kicks and spinning inside crescent kicks hehe but I surprised myself with my balance, ability to generate power, and my accuracy with techniques onto the pads seeing as I haven't done that type of training in awhile.

Was actually a tough class fitness-wise, my cardio needs a little work hehe.

Did some forms which I knew (basic forms, the universal 1st form etc).

I loved the way we started and ended class, the crosslegged meditation was about 1-2 minutes or so that he guided us through. Not the 3 or 4 second mokuso I'm used to in karate hehe.

The instructor was great, really nice guy, was welcoming and patient, wasn't a hard drill sergeant type but he still pushed us.

One thing I noticed is that the style and dojang were very traditional, and there was alot of etiquette and respect, which I really like. Lots of bowing and thanking the partner, so that was nice and am comfortable with that.

From what I've read, Tang Soo Tao incorporates meditation, yoga, tai chi and qi gong practices which is really cool, I'm not sure the extent of it, perhaps just very basic practices of them, but I have a feeling it's once you've gone up in the grades that you do that to compliment the art.

I don't think it was an instant "love connection", but I enjoyed the training. Or maybe I just enjoyed training in a place with other people again haha. Anyways, I'll train Friday too and go from there :).

But filled with a newfound confidence in myself that I can indeed do this, and start again. Even the initial phone call is incredibly hard for me, so hard to explain haha, and rocking up to a new place training with new people in a new style, unsure if my physical stuff can hold up... But I managed well tonight, and no longer want my ailment to hold me back in life. Quite proud.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really enjoyed the training! Obviously the Korean terminology was different to get used to, but I managed to slot in well with my foundation, and obvious slight technical differences.

The breathing they did was different too, rather fascinating! They all did a "choo" sound with techniques, and the last technique in a series was like a "tsaaaa". They still did the normal kiai/kihap shout at finishing points.

Did an interesting movement when moving in fighting stance which took some getting used to, it was almost like an arm swing to our open side and snapping it back in guard position. Not sure what it was exactly!

We did alot of bagwork and paddlework too which was fun. Got dizzy from the spinning back kicks and spinning inside crescent kicks hehe but I surprised myself with my balance, ability to generate power, and my accuracy with techniques onto the pads seeing as I haven't done that type of training in awhile.

I loved the way we started and ended class, the crosslegged meditation was about 1-2 minutes or so that he guided us through. Not the 3 or 4 second mokuso I'm used to in karate hehe.

The instructor was great, really nice guy, was welcoming and patient, wasn't a hard drill sergeant type but he still pushed us.

One thing I noticed is that the style and dojang were very traditional, and there was alot of etiquette and respect, which I really like. Lots of bowing and thanking the partner, so that was nice and am comfortable with that.

From what I've read, Tang Soo Tao incorporates meditation, yoga, tai chi and qi gong practices which is really cool, I'm not sure the extent of it, perhaps just very basic practices of them, but I have a feeling it's once you've gone up in the grades that you do that to compliment the art.

I don't think it was an instant "love connection", but I enjoyed the training. Or maybe I just enjoyed training in a place with other people again haha. Anyways, I'll train Friday too and go from there :).

But filled with a newfound confidence in myself that I can indeed do this, and start again. Even the initial phone call is incredibly hard for me, so hard to explain haha, and rocking up to a new place training with new people in a new style, unsure if my physical stuff can hold up... But I managed well tonight, and no longer want my ailment to hold me back in life. Quite proud.
Sounds like a good fit. Glad you're back in the game!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good fit. Glad you're back in the game!
Thanks, me too :).

I'm also trying to not be so picky, but I don't know 100% what I'm looking for in a style. I know alot of things that I'm drawn to.... I guess I'll know when I know. But I can't rely on being totally in love with it. I've seen teachers who teach in a way that just resonate with me to the very core of my being, but it may be unfair of me to expect to find that...

So this is the challenge thus far...

1) Keeping my mind open enough to explore other styles and realising that I may not find some ideal 'perfect' style that ticks every single box.

But also:

2) Not just settling for what's around, to really give myself the time and patience to train around and learn to listen to what my gut and heart are telling me. Learning to feel what I really connect and click with. It's going to be something I'm going to want to commit to for a long time, so I want it to be something that I get much joy out of doing, and something which reflects where I am in life. Subject to change I guess, but I'm learning what I value and prioritise in life.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sounds like a great time. One think jumped out at me. You said you did a spinning INSIDE crescent. Is that correct or was it spinning Outside crescents? I am trying to picture the Inside kick and the only was I can picture it is if you take a step after the spin.
Let us know how the adventure continues.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time. One think jumped out at me. You said you did a spinning INSIDE crescent. Is that correct or was it spinning Outside crescents? I am trying to picture the Inside kick and the only was I can picture it is if you take a step after the spin.

Ahh yes I figured this may come up, in my previous style we called the inside-to-outside crescent kick an inside crescent kick (uchi mawashi geri), even though it's going to the outside. I think other styles would call that outside.

So one combo we did on the paddle in fighting stance with left foot forward, all kicks with right leg, was outside-inside crescent, putting foot where it was to the back, inside-outside crescent, then use the momentum to do the spinning inside-outside crescent.

In my mind this combo is outside, inside, spinning inside, but yeah I can see why others would call them the opposite :p.

And yeah will keep updates comin haha

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can spin with an inside-out crescent and and outside-in crescent.

Right leg kicking inside-out:
You’d jump and turn to your right as the kick’s thrown.

In order to jump and spin, you lift the opposite knee up first, followed by the kicking leg.

Right leg kicking outside-in:
You’d jump and turn to your left as the kick’s thrown.

For terminology sake in case were calling them different things:

Right inside-out crescent starts at the mid line of the body or just left of it, and goes outside and over your right shoulder. So you’re smacking the right side of the opponent’s face with the outside edge of your right foot. Or going over their head from their right to left.

Outside-in crescent starts away from the midline and goes across it; right foot would smack the left side of their face.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can spin with an inside-out crescent and and outside-in crescent.

Right leg kicking inside-out:
You’d jump and turn to your right as the kick’s thrown.

In order to jump and spin, you lift the opposite knee up first, followed by the kicking leg.

Right leg kicking outside-in:
You’d jump and turn to your left as the kick’s thrown.

For terminology sake in case were calling them different things:

Right inside-out crescent starts at the mid line of the body or just left of it, and goes outside and over your right shoulder. So you’re smacking the right side of the opponent’s face with the outside edge of your right foot. Or going over their head from their right to left.

Outside-in crescent starts away from the midline and goes across it; right foot would smack the left side of their face.
Yep this! ^

Not sure what you guys call them in Seido, we always called the inside to out as uchi (inside) mawashi geri, and outside to in as soto (outside) mawashi geri. But then I guess that's why some styles call a inside to outside block as soto uke, whereas I'm used to it as uchi uke. The definition is either where the block is coming from or where it's heading towards!

Oh and we did the spinning crescent kick without the jump, you just spin on the grounded foot. It's quite fun, and you get a really cool feel of using the momentum from the previous kick. Not sure if you can really do the outside to in crescent without the jump, would feel awkward perhaps!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep this! ^

Not sure what you guys call them in Seido, we always called the inside to out as uchi (inside) mawashi geri, and outside to in as soto (outside) mawashi geri. But then I guess that's why some styles call a inside to outside block as soto uke, whereas I'm used to it as uchi uke. The definition is either where the block is coming from or where it's heading towards!

Oh and we did the spinning crescent kick without the jump, you just spin on the grounded foot. It's quite fun, and you get a really cool feel of using the momentum from the previous kick. Not sure if you can really do the outside to in crescent without the jump, would feel awkward perhaps!
Same as Kyokushin in Seido; inside-out is uchi, outside-in is soto. Kicks and blocks.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Congratulations in finding a new prospective home, Simon. Hopefully it will be the environment that will bring you back to where you want to be.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations in finding a new prospective home, Simon. Hopefully it will be the environment that will bring you back to where you want to be.
Thanks so much :). Still in trialling mode and gonna still try out some other places on my list. It's quite a process but I'd like to be sure what I'm committing to :)

D

Deleted member 40465

Sounds like lineage will not be a problem if they trained under Sosai Oyama, definitely sounds like its worth a try if the style matches your goals. Good luck on your journey.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like lineage will not be a problem if they trained under Sosai Oyama, definitely sounds like its worth a try if the style matches your goals. Good luck on your journey.
Cheers appreciate it! Ah yep I'm guessing you're referring to my first post. Yeah that instructor trained in a few styles, coming from very very tough Kyokushin days, to refining and evolving into a softer approach. To be honest my thoughts keep going back to last year when I trained there... it sounds more in line with how I want to train and what approach I want to take, and I could train in the Aikido classes he holds too (as he only has one karate class a week unfortunately).

That thought keeps popping up... only thing is I do like a bit of intensity in training every now and then and the training wasn't too instance. And I don't think there's much free sparring at all, but moreso partner drills.

If I really resonate with Sensei Rick Hotton's aiki karate, perhaps this would be the closest I could get to it...

Any thoughts or feedback on this is fully welcome by the way, I respect you guys and your insight a great deal :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm.... had another session tonight and it was pretty cool, did some one-step and block-counter drills, patterns etc.

Instructor chatted with a couple of us newbies just explaining what the fees are etc, all good there. I left to grab my bag, and was about to leave when he called me back over to chat.

... it was a little odd. He was sort of asking me about my training around and trying different styles, asking well what's my reason for that. And I kindly just explained I'm just trialling some styles out to get a feel for them and see what I really resonate and connect with before I really commit. And he kept being under the impression that I was trying this and that and taking bits for my toolbox. I reassured him no it's just for my own exploring, just wanting to make sure I've found something that suits me.

Well he said to me well you can't be training this and that, and if you train here you can't train elsewhere. He also said he was aware I was still helping out in the kids class in my old dojo, and that I can't be training multiple styles, it's just not gonna work, and that I have to pick one or the other.

He said it would be too confusing for his students, and moreso confusing for myself. Made the analogy of playing in two different basketball teams, which didn't really make sense.

...... it was just odd, and to be honest a bit off-putting. I totally get what he means in terms of it can be very confusing training more than one style at the same time (which I was never going to do anyway), and can be difficult to make progress. And certainly you can mix up techniques etc.

My issue was with him using multiple times the word "can't". It felt like he was telling me what I could and could not do...

I told him ah yeah I do respect what he's saying and understand completely that it can be tricky training multiple styles, but it felt like there was something more behind what he was saying.

If he had have said "Ah yeah it's not the best idea to train multiple styles as it can be hard to not mix them up" I would have gotten that, but there was a strange energy behind what he said, as though he won't allow it.

I wasn't planning on training multiple styles at once anyway (wasn't too sure about continuing helping in the kid's class), but it just felt a little..... off. I have heard of this sort of thing in martial arts before, but never experienced it. Just the black and white you can't train two styles, feels a bit controlling.

I don't know... anyone have any thoughts on this? Was also odd that he brought it up on my second night there. Would make more sense if I'd been there for a bit longer. Or even if I was training two styles, if I clearly was struggling with progressing in the curriculum or technique as a result then I would expect him to bring it up.

Part of me gets what he means... and part of me thinks well it's my decision and responsibility...

??

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm.... had another session tonight and it was pretty cool, did some one-step and block-counter drills, patterns etc.

Instructor chatted with a couple of us newbies just explaining what the fees are etc, all good there. I left to grab my bag, and was about to leave when he called me back over to chat.

... it was a little odd. He was sort of asking me about my training around and trying different styles, asking well what's my reason for that. And I kindly just explained I'm just trialling some styles out to get a feel for them and see what I really resonate and connect with before I really commit. And he kept being under the impression that I was trying this and that and taking bits for my toolbox. I reassured him no it's just for my own exploring, just wanting to make sure I've found something that suits me.

Well he said to me well you can't be training this and that, and if you train here you can't train elsewhere. He also said he was aware I was still helping out in the kids class in my old dojo, and that I can't be training multiple styles, it's just not gonna work, and that I have to pick one or the other.

He said it would be too confusing for his students, and moreso confusing for myself. Made the analogy of playing in two different basketball teams, which didn't really make sense.

...... it was just odd, and to be honest a bit off-putting. I totally get what he means in terms of it can be very confusing training more than one style at the same time (which I was never going to do anyway), and can be difficult to make progress. And certainly you can mix up techniques etc.

My issue was with him using multiple times the word "can't". It felt like he was telling me what I could and could not do...

I told him ah yeah I do respect what he's saying and understand completely that it can be tricky training multiple styles, but it felt like there was something more behind what he was saying.

If he had have said "Ah yeah it's not the best idea to train multiple styles as it can be hard to not mix them up" I would have gotten that, but there was a strange energy behind what he said, as though he won't allow it.

I wasn't planning on training multiple styles at once anyway (wasn't too sure about continuing helping in the kid's class), but it just felt a little..... off. I have heard of this sort of thing in martial arts before, but never experienced it. Just the black and white you can't train two styles, feels a bit controlling.

I don't know... anyone have any thoughts on this? Was also odd that he brought it up on my second night there. Would make more sense if I'd been there for a bit longer. Or even if I was training two styles, if I clearly was struggling with progressing in the curriculum or technique as a result then I would expect him to bring it up.

Part of me gets what he means... and part of me thinks well it's my decision and responsibility...

??
Hey Simon, let me put it to you this way, sometimes you meet a girl that doesn't want to give up the 'cookie' until you go steady. Other times you meet a girl that enjoys giving 'cookies' to anyone she likes. Is one better than the other ? No they are just different but that doesn't mean that you will like them both the same. You can't change where, when or who they will give the 'cookies' too but you can change whether you want to be there to accept it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

??
I would have to respectfully ask if he's saying he doesn't allow people to train with him if they are doing something else. I'm pretty sure you know what my response would be if he said, "Yes." I'd ask very respectfully, because he may simply be mis-speaking, meaning to say it's not a good idea.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

??
Playing devil’s advocate:
He doesn’t want you training whenever you feel like it, cherry picking techniques and strategy to learn, then turning around and teaching that to others. He wants a dedicated and committed student who’s going to learn everything he teaches as a system/comprehensive curriculum rather than just wanting to learn bits and pieces as you wish.

My feelings on him based solely on what you’ve said:

What you do outside of his class is none of his business. Unless you’re bringing negative attention to his school and name or are teaching what he’s teaching you without his permission.

You probably both have some wrong ideas about each other’s intentions. How wrong is the question.

I say it here all the time: the most important thing is who you’re learning from and who you’re training alongside. There’s no perfect style. Why do you continue to associate with the Kyokushin group? The people. Plain and simple IMO. Sure the style has something to do with it, but if they weren’t who they are, you’d pretty much sever your ties and be done.

How should you handle the current situation? Be done with it. The guy doesn’t want you anywhere else, and you don’t want to be told who to associate with in what capacity.

Latest Discussions