Jon Jones - using WC Kick

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
JJ actually does a lot of conceptually Wing chunny stuff, including this.

Effective is effective. There's actually a lot of oblique kicking going on in mma these days.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the oblique kick, but it's not unique to WC. I'm not sure where Jones picked it up from. He does lean back more when delivering it than is taught in most WC schools.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
At around 3 min, Phillips argues in favor of chambering the knee for a downward thrust rather than swinging the leg up towards the target.
In practice, however, Jones (and indeed Phillips most of the time) doesn't lift the knee more that absolutely necessary 'cause that would slow down the kick big time.

I find that a little thrust at the end of an oblique swing of the leg gives me more of a stop than a stomp but I'm a slow kicker and I'm just trying to clear the approach for my hands.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
JJ actually does a lot of conceptually Wing chunny stuff, including this.

Effective is effective. There's actually a lot of oblique kicking going on in mma these days.
Yeah he imitates ip man in a lot of ways....including smoking stuff that he shouldn't lol

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not specific to wc. First learned this in my long ago Shotokan & Military Combatives as well as WC, Kali, Silat, and Tai Chi. Even have a version in Muay Thai. The set ups were different and all called it something different. Never heard it call oblique until Joe Rogan use that term.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a Savate kick. The leaning the weight backwards and extending the arm to the rear for balance are classic Savate.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah he imitates ip man in a lot of ways....including smoking stuff that he shouldn't lol
True, but he also does like to maintain contact and come forward, uses a long 'feeler' guard and keeps most of his kicks below the waist, all while mostly maintaining a fairly flat footed rear leg heavy stance.

I'm not saying he takes any of that from WC, just that it's a lot of 'conceptually' wc stuff.