Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier dust up

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Surely noone here though is denying that Jones and Cormier are two of the very best fighters in their weight division? That's all I care about. These guys have serious skills

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you know the game it is easy to not get drawn in Tez and you know it's done specifically to get people to pay to see it. Absolutely, all a part of the business.
I just find it comical because of how effective it is and how many are drawn in.
There are several games being played, the one the participants play vs each other, the games the camps play, the game the promoters play, and game played for the selling of tickets and/or ppv.

It's a good job they are drawn in lol otherwise I'd be down an awful lot of money. :cool:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen the fight yet, went to bed feeling full of flu. I've been reading about it though, many different opinions which is interesting. Some think it was a farce and Jones will not be put up for anyone who looks like beating him for a couple of years, other's thinking these are two great fighters, yet more saying there are plenty of other good fighters who can beat both easily. The fight seems to have split opinions.
I may watch it later, the Four Hills ski jumping is on live now so watching that. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was a good fight. Cormier ran out of steam particularly in the last two rounds and Jones was slightly better. The finger poke in the eyes did not seem to affect Cormier to much but...... who knows. There will be a rematch but I hope Gustaffson gets a shot first.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
IIRC, when Melvin Guillard popped for cocaine, he was fined and suspended... that was Nevada. Where was this last UFC event?

Here's a link to the Guillard report. Looks like 8 months suspension (yowch) and a relatively small fine. According to Sherdog, his loss counted, so I guess it makes sense that Jones' will also still count.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the Guillard incident was a post fight test. (cocaine - 72 hours in your system)
The Jones test was from Dec 4th, which be considered separate from competition.

I wish both of them success in dealing with this.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh there is a lot more to this story that has yet to come to light.

The commission (NSAC - Nevada state athletic commission) uses WADA rules. Cocaine isn't illegal outside of competition... Neither are most street drugs. This only came up in a test for PEDs.

However, it still looks poorly on him and the sport, and the commission has a catch all rule for that so he could still be punished.

Also worth noting is his testosterone/epitestosterone levels. Experts are theorizing that since his levels are abnormally low that he may have taken some outside form of epitestosterone to lower his ratio to the legal limits NSAC has (6 to 1).

Jon Jones out of competition drug tests all show abnormal hormone levels - Bloody Elbow

Some shady business going on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least no one is claiming cocaine is performance enhancing drug.....yet....

Perhaps not performance enhancing but it helps with weight cutting and keeping weight off. A well known jockey here Frankie Dettori was done for failing a drug test, he was taking cocaine. He didn't take it as a 'party' drug but because he has to keep his weight down. It's one of many ways in the horse racing industry that jockeys keep their weight down.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps not performance enhancing but it helps with weight cutting and keeping weight off. A well known jockey here Frankie Dettori was done for failing a drug test, he was taking cocaine. He didn't take it as a 'party' drug but because he has to keep his weight down. It's one of many ways in the horse racing industry that jockeys keep their weight down.

Interesting....I obviously wouldn't have known......thanks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting....I obviously wouldn't have known......thanks

Jones may well have taken it just because it's a 'party' drug and he can though. I don't know whether he was weight cutting or just trying to keep his weight down, he could have justified it to himself as helping that.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no real benefit to taking cocaine. It's the opposite of performance enhancing because it affects your heartbeat.... Making it speed up or get an irregular rhythm.

Strenuous activity (exercise/training) can have serious consequences while on cocaine.

Does he have a cocaine problem? Maybe. Does he just do it occasionally? More than likely, which still is a problem IMO.

I feel like him going to a drug treatment facility is just him trying to turn this incriminating thing into something depicting him as a victim. It's why people have been calling him fake for years. Instead of manning up and saying "yeah, I took coke, so what?", he is claiming to have a problem and needs help so now it puts him in a different light. Shameful if that he is doing. That's just me speculating though. I find it very odd that the UFC decides to drop its out of competition drug testing program at exactly the same time Jones gets busted.

They can't punish their biggest draw now can they?

An apparently very reputable source (Greg Savage) claims Jones was hiding under the cage at Jackson's MMA to avoid the test. Apparently the carbon isotope came back clean so there were no PEDs found despite the obvious fact that something altered Jones' testosterone, as there is no way a pro fighter his age has a testosterone ratio that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Things didn't go the way I imagined them to go. I almost rooted for DC but I totally disregarded the height and reach advantage of JBJ - not to mention his skills. Yes, DC has fought taller fighters but not in the same level as JBJ..

Latest Discussions