Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier dust up

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought so at first, but watching their interview later - I don't think so. Seems like a serious dislike of each other. Going to be an interesting fight, that's for sure.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think there is genuine mutual hatred but somehow think it was staged.

Agreed this will be an epic fight. I think if DC can close the gap on JBJ's 84" reach, JBJ will be thrown ... don't recall if JBJ ever fought an Olympian wrestler

I like both fighters (I like making GIFs and their fights provide great highlights/GIF-worthiness - LOL at me) but rooting for DC

HOWEVER

I really want to see JBJ X Gus II !!!!

although DC X Gus should be an epic fight also!

Kaan

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah can't wait for this, it could go either way.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like you I think this has the potential to be a great fight. I do however feel that the dust up is all just an act to sell the fight. Nothing more, nothing less!

Who do you think takes this one, Brian?

I can honestly say, that though you can't help but respect Jon Jones' accomplishments, I kinda find everything Cormier says about him to ring true.

That said, I think Jones will take this one. I've just been proven wrong too many times to expect otherwise. I thought Rampage would test Jones on the feet but it didn't happen. I thought Rashad would smack him up a bit but I was wrong. I thought he would destroy Gustaffson - and he nearly lost to the Swede.

I'd like to see my theory proven, though. I think Jones is able to do what he does thanks to pure athleticism. Not saying there isn't some technique there, but I think a lot of his greatness can be attributed to youth and his body style. I always said his only defensive ability was to stick his hands up and backpedal and rely on his really long reach to keep opponents from touching him, and that's been proven right numerous times.

I'd like to see him lose this fight, but I don't see it happening. Daniel Cormier is a test for him, to be sure, and if he can put Jones on the ground then I think it will be a long night for him, but I don't see Jones losing this one. I see him beating DC, then winning against Gustaffson and going on to the heavyweight division where he will be utterly destroyified by Velasquez.

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see Daniel Cormier as a phenom just like Jon Jones. The thing is they both do things a little differently based on their attributes. They are both blessed attribute wise and neither will win this on athleticism alone against the other. My gut tells me Jones wins but barely. However, I would not be surprised at all if Cormier wins. This one is a coin toss and whoever can bring their skill set and attributes to bear the most will win. If I were Jones coach I would advise him to keep it standing and keep Cormier on the outside of his reach. Cormier's coach is going to tell him to get inside and make it a brawl or take it to the ground. This will be a great fight and I will be watching it!!!

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't wait for this fight. I'm a big Jon Jones guy, he's such a talent. Really hasn't been anyone quite like him. But I think Cormier is going to beat him in the first fight. I think he's going to press him against the cage and smother Jones' counters and offense. I don't think he's going to give Jones one inch of room.

Second time they fight is going to be the teller. No matter who wins the first one.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could happen Buka as Cormier does that particular thing as well as anybody including Cain Valesquez Cormier has legitimate heavyweight striking knockout power. So this should be a great fight!

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not certain as to the out come but Jones will poke DC in the eye as he has done almost everyone of his opponents.

More than likely. Will probably happen after he gets pelted in the face a couple of times and he sticks out his hands to act as a shield while he backpedals....

I really hope DC takes it here! Would like to see if Jones is so smug while on the receiving end of a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been waiting for this fight, and finally it's here. (yippee!)

All I can say is what William Wallace said......

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't wait for this fight. I'm a big Jon Jones guy, he's such a talent. Really hasn't been anyone quite like him. But I think Cormier is going to beat him in the first fight. I think he's going to press him against the cage and smother Jones' counters and offense. I don't think he's going to give Jones one inch of room.

Second time they fight is going to be the teller. No matter who wins the first one.
Seems you're thinking the same way I am and predicting these 2 will rematch down the line one way or the other. Getting a bit annoyed with all the MMA press describing this as Cormier's 'last chance' just coz he's in his mid 30s. The guy's in amazing shape and has taken a relatively small amount of damage throughout his athletic career. Plenty more miles on his clock imo

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a fight - Jones vs Cormier; and the build up has done its job. To build huge interest, Hype, hype, hype so people will be so excited they talk about it, will pay to see it and then argue about the outcome if not definitive. I love the martial arts and MMA. I enjoy the study of fighting and the human element within. A huge part of it is the psychological games and how they drive the hype so much so that bystanders are all but compelled to pay to see the conclusion and then argue as to who did a better job.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand all the hype around fights, I know how to make it and it doesn't make me want to watch fights, it's just business. I don't pay to watch the UFC, I have free on my television, live too. I wouldn't pay the prices the UFC charges when it comes here, way too expensive.
It's an alright fight night tonight, starts in about half an hour here, I don't know yet whether I'll wait till the 'big fight' or just record it.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand all the hype around fights, I know how to make it and it doesn't make me want to watch fights, it's just business. I don't pay to watch the UFC, I have free on my television, live too. I wouldn't pay the prices the UFC charges when it comes here, way too expensive.
It's an alright fight night tonight, starts in about half an hour here, I don't know yet whether I'll wait till the 'big fight' or just record it.
Yeah we Brits have to weigh up whether it's worth staying up til silly-o'clock for UFCs. All hype aside though the main event is two seriously elite guys tonight so I'll probably be getting on the coffee and trying keep awake for it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As anyone who has been here a while will tell you I'm not a fan of the UFC lol, I think the fight may be prove an anti climax but the fan boys won't notice :D:D:D

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you know the game it is easy to not get drawn in Tez and you know it's done specifically to get people to pay to see it. Absolutely, all a part of the business.
I just find it comical because of how effective it is and how many are drawn in.
There are several games being played, the one the participants play vs each other, the games the camps play, the game the promoters play, and game played for the selling of tickets and/or ppv.