John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' Sci-Fi Series Heads to the Big Screen

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't really help on that one as the last Star Wars book I read was Splinter In the Minds Eye :eek:.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Star Wars novels for the most part tend to be pretty damn awsome. They ad so much depth to the universe, explain culture, language, economy, race, etc to well that it comes across way better than the films. The Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin rules, it's his whole life up to the point he shows up on screen in the movie. Shadows Of The empire is a great parallel story taking place in the years between empire and jedi dealing with the continuing rebellion and a great look at criminal enterprise int eh galaxy. The Thrawn Trilogy following Jedi, has to do with the planets getting back on their feet and the empire reconstituting itself around General Thrawn.

I could go on, but all SW novels are must reads for me the moment they come out. There are many things from the novels that Lucas himself copied over to the movies.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've read all the forward moving (After Return of the Jedi) novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. For some reason, I just can't get into any of the prequels.
I'd love to know how much Lucas charges for renting his name and the universe he created. Any of you who would like to rent my name, drop me a PM, I'll give you a hell of a deal.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the Han solo books in High school or just after, they were awsome. they managed to not screw up one of Lucas's great characters. I might still have copies of them in my garage somewhere.

Omar, The han solo novels I was thinking about were written by Brian Daley, "Han Solo at Stars End," and two other books. Are those the ones you were talking about or were the A.C. Crispin ones newer. I would look them up, but I am really looking for feedback from a real person.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Star Wars novels for the most part tend to be pretty damn awsome. They ad so much depth to the universe, explain culture, language, economy, race, etc to well that it comes across way better than the films. The Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin rules, it's his whole life up to the point he shows up on screen in the movie. Shadows Of The empire is a great parallel story taking place in the years between empire and jedi dealing with the continuing rebellion and a great look at criminal enterprise int eh galaxy. The Thrawn Trilogy following Jedi, has to do with the planets getting back on their feet and the empire reconstituting itself around General Thrawn.

I could go on, but all SW novels are must reads for me the moment they come out. There are many things from the novels that Lucas himself copied over to the movies.

Yeah, I read the Han solo books in High school or just after, they were awsome. they managed to not screw up one of Lucas's great characters. I might still have copies of them in my garage somewhere.

Omar, The han solo novels I was thinking about were written by Brian Daley, "Han Solo at Stars End," and two other books. Are those the ones you were talking about or were the A.C. Crispin ones newer. I would look them up, but I am really looking for feedback from a real person.

I said AC Crispin. You should have read my post more carefully. As for the dates, I don't know.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
speaking of I, Jedi, how is that or for that matter the whole star wars novel experience. I have always been reluctant to try the star wars novels, especially after the new movies. Was Mathew woodring stover's book any good, about Mace windu?

The Star Wars novels for the most part tend to be pretty damn awsome. They ad so much depth to the universe, explain culture, language, economy, race, etc to well that it comes across way better than the films.
Ditto. I haven' read most of the "newer" books (from the SW timeline). I really can't get into The Solo and Skywalker kids going bad, or Chewi dying. But the backstory books- like the Various Han Solo books and Thrawn are incredible. Nearly all of my collection is in boxes back home, and I'd like to re-read them. But for the most part, the books I've read have the feel of the original three movies- gritty and complex, not overly/obnoxiously "teen angst" like the newer movies.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for posting in this thread. I picked up a copy of Old Man's War based on the talk here and I've made it to the basic training part. The book is a hoot - very readable.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for posting in this thread. I picked up a copy of Old Man's War based on the talk here and I've made it to the basic training part. The book is a hoot - very readable.
Oh, you've got to go in the Fiction thread, they'll push all kinds of stuff on you...
especially Omar... ;)