Joe Rogans Accomplishments and USTU/USTA events?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You've not shown yourself to be a particularly reliable source, so I'm going to ask - again - for some support for your claims about his training, since you claim to know details.

From post nr 13: Joe Rogan s TKD comment MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community "Joe Rogan did not learn TKD from a McDojang. He studied under GM Jae H. Kim in Boston (also where I studied although at a different time). JH Kim TKD Academy is an ITF style school, which is a lot less "sports" oriented that the WTF (Olympic) style. We sparred frequently, but it was free sparring and not tournament or point sparring. From what I understand, Joe Rogan was a pretty bad-a$$ fighter. This is at least what I heard from one of my instructors who progressed through the ranks with Mr. Rogan. FWIW".

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heres' the school. Note the following:

The institute is especially well known in the Taekwon-do communities around the world for two of its unique classes. Anyone interested in Taekwon-do “Forms/Patterns” will be delighted to know that the school is recognized as a world leader in Traditional Forms. In fact, Mr. Kim is one of just a handful of active teachers left in the world who had the honor of receiving personal training from the acknowledged founder of Taekwon-do, General Choi. The other class is called Full Range Sparring which utilizes striking as well as grappling techniques. The school has been offering this training long before MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) became popular on TV.

Jae Hun Kim Taekwon-do Institute - Learn Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts Self Defense - Boston Quincy Cambridge Newton Ashland

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From post nr 13: Joe Rogan s TKD comment MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community "Joe Rogan did not learn TKD from a McDojang. He studied under GM Jae H. Kim in Boston (also where I studied although at a different time). JH Kim TKD Academy is an ITF style school, which is a lot less "sports" oriented that the WTF (Olympic) style. We sparred frequently, but it was free sparring and not tournament or point sparring. From what I understand, Joe Rogan was a pretty bad-a$$ fighter. This is at least what I heard from one of my instructors who progressed through the ranks with Mr. Rogan. FWIW".

Now see, this is one reason why it's important to actually investigate things, rather than just parroting things you see that happen to coincide with your preconceived notions of How Things Are.

According to site for GM Jae Hun Kims school, it would appear that GM Kim left the ITF in 1978, after which he spent some time with the GTF and then the Kukkiwon. There is no mention of the rank he held within the ITF, although he does mention having trained directly with General Choi, so I would assume he wasn't a yellow belt.

It seems unlikely that Mr Rogan would have been training and competing in the ITF under GM Kim, since he would have been 10 or 11 years old when GM Kim left the ITF.

According to the site linked above, students at this school are credentialed through the KKW.

Now, is it possible that GM Kim still teaches - at least in part - the ITF curriculum? I'd say it's very likely. Most teachers who have experience in multiple systems incorporate various aspects of all those systems in their teachings. I know I do, and I know from what others have posted here that they do as well.

But from what is on the schools site, it seems clear that if Mr Rogan trained at that school, he was, in fact, officially training in a KKW school.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now see, this is one reason why it's important to actually investigate things, rather than just parroting things you see that happen to coincide with your preconceived notions of How Things Are.

According to site for GM Jae Hun Kims school, it would appear that GM Kim left the ITF in 1978, after which he spent some time with the GTF and then the Kukkiwon. There is no mention of the rank he held within the ITF, although he does mention having trained directly with General Choi, so I would assume he wasn't a yellow belt.

It seems unlikely that Mr Rogan would have been training and competing in the ITF under GM Kim, since he would have been 10 or 11 years old when GM Kim left the ITF.

According to the site linked above, students at this school are credentialed through the KKW.

Now, is it possible that GM Kim still teaches - at least in part - the ITF curriculum? I'd say it's very likely. Most teachers who have experience in multiple systems incorporate various aspects of all those systems in their teachings. I know I do, and I know from what others have posted here that they do as well.

But from what is on the schools site, it seems clear that if Mr Rogan trained at that school, he was, in fact, officially training in a KKW school.

That is interesting. I would be very curious to know which patterns they were graded in, then. The gentleman I quoted did write ITF-style, which is another way of saying functionally ITF (patterns), but not ITF affiliated. So if that's the case, he was simply wrong in saying so. This is quite comical, given that it would entail that he was confused about which type of TKD school he personally belonged to.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I also question why a KKW school is labelled Taekwon-Do, instead of Taekwondo...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be very curious to know which patterns they were graded in, then. The gentleman I quoted did write ITF-style, which is another way of saying functionally ITF (patterns), but not ITF affiliated. So if that's the case, he was simply wrong in saying so. This is quite comical, given that it would entail that he was confused about which type of TKD school he personally belonged to.

It's amazing how confused people get some times...

I also question why a KKW school is labelled Taekwon-Do, instead of Taekwondo...

Our MDK school uses Tae Kwon Do, Taekwondo and Taekwon-Do interchangeably. All are correct, after all.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's amazing how confused people get some times...

Our MDK school uses Tae Kwon Do, Taekwondo and Taekwon-Do interchangeably. All are correct, after all.

I was under the impression that the seperation Taekwondo and Taekwon-Do existed to clarify, distinguish and avoid confusion between different systems/styles of TKD. I gather this is not followed then, regrettably. Very unhelpful.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the seperation Taekwondo and Taekwon-Do existed to clarify, distinguish and avoid confusion between different systems/styles of TKD. I gather this is not followed then, regrettably. Very unhelpful.
Taekwon-Do generally indicates an ITF background, but many people from different backgrounds use Taekwondo, tae kwon do, Tae Kwon Do, or possibly other spellings that would likely be considered incorrect.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

There are things that are common to specific systems - like Taekwon-Do for the ITF - that are not unique to those systems. The ITF most commonly uses the word "tul" to refer to forms, but the terms hyung and poomsae are equally valid. I'm likely to use any or all of them in any given week.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, in the WTF magazine in the 80s they posted an article saying that the correct romanisation (at least from the WTF's point of view) is Taekwondo and specifically saying it's incorrect to use spaces or hyphens.

Edit: Credit to the late Grandmaster Al Cole for the uploaded page from WTF Magazine

Attachments

• 6356271573_e7dd90fb49_z.jpeg
    6356271573_e7dd90fb49_z.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 199

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would the founder of ITF - General Choi, support Master Kims opening of a KKW school? Choi is also recognized as the founding father/creator of TKD on the schools website, which a KKW school normally wouldn't. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are things that are common to specific systems - like Taekwon-Do for the ITF - that are not unique to those systems. The ITF most commonly uses the word "tul" to refer to forms, but the terms hyung and poomsae are equally valid. I'm likely to use any or all of them in any given week.

Go to a hardcore KKW school and ask them about their tul. Expect their eyes to pop out.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, in the WTF magazine in the 80s they posted an article saying that the correct romanisation (at least from the WTF's point of view) is Taekwondo and specifically saying it's incorrect to use spaces or hyphens.

Edit: Credit to the late Grandmaster Al Cole for the uploaded page from WTF Magazine

The WTF does not determine how words are spelled. They can say "x will be spelled y in our publications", but that doesn't really have any impact on the world at large.

Why would the founder of ITF - General Choi, support Master Kims opening of a KKW school? Choi is also recognized as the founding father/creator of TKD on the schools website, which a KKW school normally wouldn't. Makes no sense.

Perhaps you missed the part where GM Kim left the ITF in 1978? Beyond that, you'll have to ask GM Kim or the General. I only repeated what it says on the web site, which is that students are certified by the KKW.

Go to a hardcore KKW school and ask them about their tul. Expect their eyes to pop out.

I live within 50 miles of the Olympic Training Center. I know people who work there. I know people who train there. I use the terms interchangeably (as is correct). To date, all eyes have remained firmly within their sockets.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say the schools I have attended have been pretty much straight up KKW TKD. I know plenty of people including myself who practice hyungs / tul along with poomsae. Not everything has to be black or white, and the spirit of Taekwondo is inclusive.

Re Joe Rogan, he's a great fighter but also kind of unlikeable IMO, especially his 'stand up comedy'. Watching some of his Taekwondo related stuff online, his form is not that great from a pure TKD perspective, but maybe he has adapted it for MMA, who knows.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the part where GM Kim left the ITF in 1978? Beyond that, you'll have to ask GM Kim or the General. I only repeated what it says on the web site, which is that students are certified by the KKW.

Key word is "left". It's one thing to start your own, than to open a KKW affiliated school. I wrote that it makes no sense why he would receive Chois support for doing this, not that it wasn't true.

I would say the schools I have attended have been pretty much straight up KKW TKD. I know plenty of people including myself who practice hyungs / tul along with poomsae. Not everything has to be black or white, and the spirit of Taekwondo is inclusive.

Then you are doing both tul and poomsae. I wrote hardcore KKW school.

Watching some of his Taekwondo related stuff online, his form is not that great from a pure TKD perspective, but maybe he has adapted it for MMA, who knows.

He's better than your average joe (get it?).

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Key word is "left". It's one thing to start your own, than to open a KKW affiliated school. I wrote that it makes no sense why he would receive Chois support for doing this, not that it wasn't true.

I'm just going to guess that this "support" is yet another thing you've pulled out of a random bodily orifice.

GM Kim opened a school. Students of that school are certified by the KKW. General Choi didn't really have any say in the matter.

Then you are doing both tul and poomsae. I wrote hardcore KKW school.

Tul and poomsae are the same thing. You do know what synonyms are, right?

It might be a bit hard to ask the General these days. :)

Given some of the other silliness posted recently, I thought maybe a Ouija board would come into play.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't get much more KKW without training at the KKW...we just don't exclude people ;)

Why would a hardcore KKW school train in both KKW and Chang-Hon patterns? I have not heard of a Shotokan school mixing in kyokushin patterns (for instance). Have you? It must be very confusing for the students.

I'm just going to guess that this "support" is yet another thing you've pulled out of a random bodily orifice.

GM Kim opened a school. Students of that school are certified by the KKW. General Choi didn't really have any say in the matter.

General Choi encouraged him to do so: "Mr. Kim visited General Choi periodically to receive personal instruction, until 1978. It was also during this period that Mr. Kim, with the encouragement of General Choi, opened his school in Boston."Jae Hun Kim Taekwon-do Institute Boston Quincy Cambridge Newton Ashland

Tul and poomsae are the same thing. You do know what synonyms are, right?

You are mindboggingly stubborn.